Unga Bunga: A Warriors Blog

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unga Bunga: A Warriors Blog

#31 Post by John »

Warriors wrote:Unga Bunga has independently confirmed that Duluth plans to call up phenom SP Rich Jones today and start him tonight in Yuma in the series finale against the Bulldozers.
Called it! 8)
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#32 Post by Bill »

Meet the Warriors 2013 Draft Class
by Olaf Halvorsen, Senior Blogologist
June 7, 2013

The 2013 PEBA Amateur Entry Draft has come and gone with 14 new players joining the ranks of Warrior hopefuls. The path to wear the green pinstripes of the big league club will not be easy, but a select few will climb the ladder and make it to the top. Unga Bunga takes a quick look at these greenhorns and tries to handicap their potential future with the organization.

Round 1, 5th Overall - SP Carlos Fernández
Fernández pick up the nickname 'Slayer' in college for his ability to strike down the opposition and we at Unga Bunga concur. The big righty went 27-11 in his career at West Virginia University with a 2.21 ERA and 427 strikeouts in 337.2 innings. Fernández has a plus-plus fastball in the upper-90s complemented by three average-to-plus off speed offerings. Several front office sources around the league had Fernández listed as the top talent in the draft, but found his pre-draft demands a little too steep. Now it remains to be seen whether a team that started the season in the red can land the biggest fish in the sea. Stay tuned for these negotiations.

Round 2, 37th Overall - RF Robert Johnson
Johnson was a monster during his four years at Klein-Collins HS (CA), finishing with a career .364/.478/.625 line including 45 doubles and 49 homers in 206 games. The 6'4", 215 lb. slugger is a finalist for HS Outstanding Hitter Award for his league and the Warrior scouting group thinks his power and batting eye from the left side will translate well at Doyle-Buhl Stadium. While his skills are raw and are expected to take a few years to develop, the Warriors believe Johnson has the potential to be a starter in Duluth someday.

Round 3, 61st Overall - 1B Rudy Brown
Brown led college baseball with 24 homers and was named the Outstanding Hitter of the USCBA for his efforts at Tulane University. The 6', 200 lb. lefthander also has a keen batting eye according to scouts and adds good defense to his skill set. Some in the organization say he could even slide over and man the hot corner in the future.

Round 4, 85th Overall - LF Jim Parker
Parker was a career .417 hitter as Robert Johnson's outfield mate at Klein-Collins HS (CA) and has plus contact, batting, and fielding potential coming into the pros. Many believed this pick was a stretch as the lanky left fielder is not thought to have a big league frame (listed at 6'1", 150 lb). However, his skill set is advanced for his age and Parker is expected to get a shot to start right away at SS-A.

Round 5, 109th Overall - SP Hoyt Gardner
This right-handed pitcher from South Caldwell HS (NY) has a unique skill set for a teenager with a 92-94 mph fastball with plus control and plus movement. This was a high risk selection as Caldwell likely slipped due to his high price tag and well-known intentions of wanting to go to college. Most of the Unga Bunga staff agree that we may never see Caldwell make a single pitch for the Warriors organization.

Round 6, 133rd Overall - SS Marcos Martínez
Martínez is primarily known for his plus-plus glove despite his size (6'4", 230 lb.). The Warriors hope bat catches up to his size while providing an anchor for in the middle of the diamond defense. Unga Bunga believes that Martínez could be a great sleeper pick and wouldn't be surprised at all to see this sixth rounder wearing green and white in a few years.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#33 Post by John »

Slayer is going to be beastly. He was a real nice get at #5. The other guy here I really like is Rudy Brown. 24 homers this season, and he may have the aptitude to handle third base (he's certainly got the glove for first). Think he could be a 3rd round steal.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#34 Post by Bill »

Yeah I realized as I wrote this that I drafted 2 hitters of the year for their league (Johnson and Brown). Nice surprise. I worry that Brown was a one-hit wonder and also worry that his current ratings are low coming out of college. But I'm also a compulsive worrier. We'll see.
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#35 Post by Lions »

Warriors wrote:But I'm also a compulsive warrior.
Fixed that for you...

I had Martinez as a player of interest heading in. It'll be interesting to see what/if everyone signs for, but I like the draft you guys had.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#36 Post by Bill »

Nutmeggers wrote:I had Martinez as a player of interest heading in. It'll be interesting to see what/if everyone signs for, but I like the draft you guys had.
Martinez was a little random. I had a list of about 120 guys going into the draft and by about the 5th round that number had dwindled pretty low so I started looking for more guys. He was the first guy I found and immediately went to the top of the list. He may never hit enough, but could hang around on the bench at least. I'm hoping for 6'4" Omar Vizquel though.

I'm pretty confident I'll sign everybody except maybe Gardner. I haven't decided if he is worth the $2mil+.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#37 Post by Bill »

Adios Alberto? Say It Isn't So...
By Olaf Halvorsen, Senior Blogolgist
June 21, 2013

Rumors around the team today are that veteran ace Alberto Semblano has been designated for assignment, presumptively ahead of a potential trade to a contending team. No specifics of a trade have surfaced, but it certainly wouldn't be a surprise to see him go to a team in closely contested divisions like the Pan-Atlantic or the Desert Hills.

Semblano has been a rock at the top of the Duluth rotation for a year and a half, accruing 17 wins and 251 strikeouts in just under 300 IP. His 2012 season set team season marks for wins, ERA, WHIP, IP, oOPS, K/BB, and VORP - all while pitching half of his games in the offensive haven that is Doyle-Buhl Stadium.

Adios muchacho. You will be missed.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#38 Post by Tyler »

I know at least one Dixie team was coveting Semblano. Based on this report, it looks like they missed out. It will be interesting to see where he lands. SP are always at a premium.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#39 Post by Bill »

Full Time Role Opens Up for Middleton
July 7, 2013

There once was a man name Clark
who the Warriors signed on a lark
Boy he was fast!
but maybe he's gassed
and doesn't like coming to the park

Somewhat expectedly, the Duluth Warriors moved veteran 2B Powell Clark today, trading the aging speedster to the Manchester Maulers for 1B José Lópes. The unexpected part of the trade, however, is that Lópes is a 33-year old platoon bat that has limited value in the field. The Warriors probably could have gotten better value in trade, but at least they have Clark's $4.5million salary off the books for 2014. Lópes is expected to platoon with the slumping "Eeyore" Pérez and Carlos Colón against lefties.

Clark struggled in his one-and-a-half seasons in green and white, batting only .247 with limited power for the Warriors. He did score 90 runs and stole 42 bases in around 600 ABs, so some on the field value was achieved. It seemed he didn't really like playing for a rebuilding team in Duluth. While I can't totally blame him, he did sign the contract and a modicum of professionalism is thusly expected. However rumors are that he recently demanded a trade from the front office and even threatened to sit out if the team did not comply.

The move opens up an everyday job for young 2B Lee Middleton, one of the pieces sent from Arlington in the Semblano trade. Middleton spent roughly 4 seasons tearing up AAA pitching (.299/.379/.405 career) while never getting much of a shot in the big leagues as he's been stuck behind perennial All-Star Bud Hoffman for 2 seasons. Now he gets his shot and I wouldn't be surprised to see him near the top of the lineup for the time being.
Daniel Diemer

#40 Post by Daniel Diemer »

Middleton looks like he should do just fine. It'll be interesting to watch how this unfolds.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#41 Post by Bill »

Unga Bunga’s 2013 Warrior State of the Minor Leagues Address
By Olaf Halvorsen, Senior Blogologist
September 1, 2013

My fellow Duluthians, we set forth on this journey just five short months ago, in hope of a new day in Warriors baseball. It did not come; we remain among the worst teams in the Planetary Extreme Baseball Alliance. Yet there is still hope for a new day because there is always next year. The future of which we dream is in Madison and Mississauga and continues in Rapid City and Kailua. These are the young Warriors preparing for battle at the highest level in the PEBA. As the organizational season winds down, we reflect on all that is right and wrong in the Duluth organization.

AAA Madison Cheeseheads, 77-62, third place in Central Division
The Cheeseheads started off with a thud, completing both April and May with losing record, before heating up with the weather. A 15-10 record in June began a triumphant comeback that saw the Cheeseheads win their final 11 contests in July to pull within two games of a Wild Card spot. In the end, the margin proved too great and Madison could not secure a berth in the postseason, but their finish provides much hope for Duluth in 2014. The AAA affiliate of the Warriors finished fourth in the league in both ERA and OPS, a great sign of the balance of this squad. However, most pundits feel that the future of Duluth lies in the starting pitching at this level. The trio of Rich Jones, Dave Barker, and Davis Sutherland combined for a 34-16 record in Madison while all averaged over eight strikeouts per nine innings. It is suspected that a couple of guys from this squad could be sent to winter ball in anticipation spring training invites and potential roles with the Warriors in 2014.

AA Mississauga Cherries, 74-65, second place in Ontario Division
Only a miserable July kept this team out of the Great Northern League postseason in 2013. Much like the rest of the organization, the Cherries were carried by their pitching. Norberto Guillén won 14 games and looks to be a lock for the Madison rotation in 2014 while teammate Tom Carter went 15-7 over two levels and won the CAAL Pitcher of the Month award in August. Reliever Juan Trinidad was superb with 5 wins and 14 saves out of the bullpen. 1B Ed Badger (.299, 17 HR, 85 RBI) led the Cherry hitting attack. 2B Gabriel Sáenz put up a .354/.467/.472 batting line in 55 games before moving on to AAA Madison midseason.

A Rapid City Rushmores, 55-72, fifth place in Big Sky Division

Rapid City was caught in a bad place this season, having several players placed on this team that really were not Single-A caliber players. This situation was made worse by the early struggles of talented prospects like Dave ‘Monk’ McAllister and Austin Jones. End result: UGH! But next year should be improved with several members of the 2013 draft class joining McAllister and company to field a more competitive squad in South Dakota. Prospect Luis Rentería (.308/.383/.360) had a decent season in his first full year at second base while catcher Aaron Jinks (.287, 11 HR in 42 games) and first baseman Andrew Frazier (.307, 15 HR, 85 RBI) each enjoyed success at the plate in 2013.

SS-A Kailua Hanso, 32-39, fifth place in Aloha Division
Aloha means hello for this crop of incoming draftees and holdovers from last year. A dreadful start mired them in last place for much of the season, but a resurgent 18-10 record in the final month showed the development of this young crew. The highlight of this squad was starting pitchers Carlos Fernández, Hoyt Gardner, and Dave McAllister and they will be expected to continue their development in Rapid City next season. The club also got good seasons at the plate from 2B Tony Hudson and LF Roberto Solis.

The Top Prospects
Rich ‘Spud’ Jones (7-4, 2.60 ERA, 137 K at AAA; 2-5, 7.26 ERA in Duluth) anchored the Madison rotation early in the season while much of the rest of the team struggled. The former second overall pick was less impressive in his first taste of PEBA action, but showed enough in his peripheral stats (2 CG, 5.11 FIP, nearly 5:1 K:BB, two 10 K games) to earn a few additional starts down the stretch.

Davis Sutherland (13-7, 3.24 ERA, 174 K at AAA) was outstanding in his first full professional season as a starting pitcher. After a couple months of stretching his arm out, the converted closer from Mississippi won six of his last seven decisions and sprinkled in a couple 12 strikeout performances along the way while holding the opposition to a .197 batting average this season. Oh, did we mention this fireballer frequently touches 98 mph and is only 21 years old?

Last but not least in the Madison rotation was Dave “Zoom Zoom” Barker (14-5, 3.84 ERA, 168 K at AAA), who went as the team went - slow to start but as good as anyone by the end. The first round selection from 2011 had 11 wins over the last 3 months of the season and greater than 5:1 K:BB ratio over that period. The PEBA can expect it to be Zoom Zoom time in 2014.

The top hitting prospect in the organization is outfielder Tadamichi Sato (.291/.391/.395, 26 SB), who got his first full taste of AAA ball in 2013 and liked what he saw. The 24-year old former first round pick out of Tulane continued to show a good ability to get on base and stole more than 20 bases for the second time in three professional seasons. With outfielders like John Mayer and Ronald Elmore holding down jobs at the corners in Duluth, Sato may get an opportunity to refine his craft again in Madison next year. But don’t be surprised to see him in Duluth before all is said and done.

The hitter most likely to make a splash in Duluth in 2014 is 3B Josh Shaffer (.286/.338/.464, 17 HR, 75 RBI). The 6’1”, 215 lb. New Jersey native now has 165 games under his belt at the AAA level and the Unga Bunga staff agrees he has nothing left to prove in the minors - expect to see this guy in green and white next year. The biggest question is where he fits into the picture. Is it at DH? First base (a position he has never played)? Does he supplant current starter Stan Gill at 3B? Stay tuned.

Centerfielder Jaime Morán (.278/.361/.388, 19 SB, +29 ZR) is not a household name for Duluthians yet, but that may change in the very near future. Moran is often described as a ‘toolsy’ player – great speed, great glove, plus contact and power potential – though it remains to be seen whether he can put it all together in one consistent package. He likely will be moved up to join Sato and fellow CF prospect Rob Jones in Madison in 2014, but still has plenty to work on like expanding his power potential and improving his base stealing (only 19 SB in 29 attempts).

The top pick for the Warriors this season was the much-heralded bonus baby Carlos ‘Slayer’ Fernández (3-5, 3.25 ERA, 62 K at SS-A Kailua). Fernandez started slow in his professional debut, but posted a 2.20 ERA over his final 11 starts of the season. Expect to see this kid in Rapid City next year and Duluth by 2016.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#42 Post by Bill »

Gill Named Sovereign League PotW
September 9, 2013

stan_gill_2013_PotW.png
The Sovereign League announced the Players of the Week today. Lo and behold, a Warrior player was honored this week in the person of third baseman Stan Gill. The 27-year old switch hitter banged out 13 hits in 27 at bats for a .481 average in the first full week of September while scoring six times and driving in seven Warrior baserunners. This was the first time a Duluth player has been recognized this season by the league and was nearly one year to the day since Pat Holman last won the honor in 2012.

"The pitches looked like beach balls this week," stated a surprised Gill after the announcement. "Of course, the most important thing is that the team is playing better. I'm just glad to do my part." Duluth's play has indeed improved of late, winning three of four going into a key 4-game series in Canton after finishing August with the first .500 record for a month this season. The team should continue to get a boost from young prospects from AAA Madison as they get called up to audition for jobs in 2014.

Gill's strong week has lifted his batting average to .291 while whacking 19 homers and driving home 73 runners.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#43 Post by John »

I love that card! ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#44 Post by Bill »

Thanks. I'm trying to get as much mileage out of this template as I can before I start a new one for 2014. I just realized I left the OOTP logos on it too - rats! Oh well.

I really, REALLY wish that we could generate our own pictures in the cards for online leagues. Using the default image leads to disappointing stretching or fuzziness.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#45 Post by Bill »

Warriors Name Minor League Players of the Year
October 30, 2013

The Duluth Warriors announced their Minor League Players of the Year awards today in a media press release. AAA Madison starting pitcher Davis Sutherland was named the organizational Pitcher of the Year while teammate Josh Shaffer was awarded the Minor League Batter of the Year honor.

After racking up 36 saves in two seasons as a primary closer at the A and AA levels, Sutherland was allowed to return to the starting rotation in 2013 after showing both a desire and the necessary repertoire to accomplish the task. His work in the offseason with Madison pitching coach Musamba Njowga paid off as he exploded this season, compiling a 13-7 record with a 3.24 ERA and 1.07 WHIP in 150 innings at AAA. He led the organization with 174 strikeouts (sixth best in the Global Baseball Brotherhood) and held opposing batters to a .197 average. With nothing left to prove at the highest level of the minor leagues, one would not be surprised to find Sutherland in the major league camp in spring training with a serious shot at wearing Warriors green and white in 2014.

Shaffer was a lowly sixth round pick in the 2008 PEBA Amateur Entry Draft, but the third baseman has added some muscle over the years and this translated into a career high 17 homers (third in the organization) while maintaining his proven ability to put the ball in the in the gaps. Shaffer was destined for a cup of coffee with the Warriors before a groin injury shut him down for the season in the final weekend of the season. He appears to be ready at the plate to join the Warriors in 2014, but his natural position is currently blocked by Stan Gill. It wouldn’t surprise Unga Bunga if Shaffer spent a couple months at Madison to start 2014. Nor would it surprise us if he was the starting first baseman.

Return to “Duluth Warriors”