Anyone up for a real-life MLB baseball game?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Steel Dragons

Re: Anyone up for a real-life MLB baseball game?

#46 Post by Steel Dragons »

This is a great idea, but alas my wife and I have already used our vacation budget this year to take the honeymoon we never had. We're going to Hawaii the first week of June, so getting to a baseball game may be too much to ask of our finances.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#47 Post by John »

Steel Dragons wrote:This is a great idea, but alas my wife and I have already used our vacation budget this year to take the honeymoon we never had. We're going to Hawaii the first week of June, so getting to a baseball game may be too much to ask of our finances.
That's definitely a better allocation of your vacation funds, James. ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#48 Post by Denny »

Steel Dragons wrote:This is a great idea, but alas my wife and I have already used our vacation budget this year to take the honeymoon we never had. We're going to Hawaii the first week of June
Too bad....had you delayed your trip by just a couple weeks, you could have taken in a Surf and Snow Amalgamation Hawaiian League game or two while you were there! :-B
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#49 Post by Lions »

Codgers wrote:
Steel Dragons wrote:This is a great idea, but alas my wife and I have already used our vacation budget this year to take the honeymoon we never had. We're going to Hawaii the first week of June
Too bad....had you delayed your trip by just a couple weeks, you could have taken in a Surf and Snow Amalgamation Hawaiian League game or two while you were there! :-B
Just as long as you put your money on Mokule'ia Oceanic
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#50 Post by John »

Nutmeggers wrote:
Codgers wrote:
Just as long as you put your money on Mokule'ia Oceanic
I don't think I'd feel comfortable flying on Oceanic. :cry:
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#51 Post by John »

We're currently stalled at six participants. That's enough to make this trip happen, but I'd surely like to see more of you. There's no telling when this kind of opportunity will come around again, so take advantage of it when you can! Who else will join me, Michael C., Tyler, Jim, Jon, and Greg in Chicago on the weekend of July 7?
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#52 Post by John »

I always endeavor to set a firm schedule and stick to it. However, sometimes life intervenes, and it has here. The good news is that I am still up for a weekend ballgame in Chicago, and I still very much intend to make this happen. The bad news is that the specific date I had planned - Saturday, July 7 - is going to be unavailable for me after all.

Fortunately, we still have time to reexamine our options, and I hope you all are still as interested as I am in meeting up. If there's still interest amongst those who have already signed up, I will send out a mailing on this topic shortly. But first, let's see if the people who said they would attend can still attend on the two alternate days I'm looking at. Both dates are Saturdays and both would take place at Wrigley Field. Here are the options:
  • Sat., July 28 @ 12:05 p.m. CST - Cardinals vs. Cubs. This date is ideal for me since I will already be in Chicago on business. It's a bonus that we'd get to see one of the best rivalries in baseball. Of course, with the privilege comes a price. Tickets for this game are not cheap. The cheapest current per ticket price on Stubhub for six grouped tickets is $56, and that's in the nosebleed section. If we need more than six tickets, we're up to at least $67.50. Halfway decent seats start at $71. I'm willing to pay these prices, but I understand they could be a barrier for some of you, which is why I'm posting these options here before mailing the group.
  • Sat., August 11 @ 3:05 p.m. CST - Reds vs. Cubs. The match-up isn't quite as attractive and the timing isn't quite as good for me personally, but this game has the advantage of cheaper tickets. Six grouped tickets can currently be had on Stubhub for $32 each. Ten tickets knocks us up to $59 - still cheaper than the Cards game. Reasonable quality seats begin around $50. We can even get into the famous Wrigley bleachers for $75.
In a perfect world, I'd vote for Cards-Cubs, price be damned. That's the perfect weekend for me, and I'm willing to bear the expense. It may not be as easy for you guys, though, and your schedules will dictate things, as well.

So, Michael C., Tyler, Jim, Jon, Greg... what say you guys? Are you still in, and if so, which date do you prefer? As for the rest of you, do either of these dates open up possibilities? Please let me know as soon as possible so I can determine if a meet-up is indeed feasible.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#53 Post by Hitmen »

Both dates work for me, and prices I am not too worried about either as this is such a rare event for us ;-D If I had to choose, I would go Cardinals just because it is a more significant match up.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#54 Post by Nigel »

I would just love to be in on this but I still can't find any flights around the dates that are much below £700. Out of my price range at the moment but I'm aiming to take early retirement in Sept 2014 so expect to see me in 2015 (got to spend the pension lump-sum somewhere :wink: )
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#55 Post by Tyler »

Both would work for me. The price is a bit steep, but if I start saving now I can do it. Like Michael said - this is a rare event. :D
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#56 Post by John »

Alright, we've got half of our original six re-upped. I'd like to hear from Jim, Jon, and Greg before I move forward with ticket-buying. Again, we've got two dates we're looking at here: July 28 and August 11. Specify if you can make both or just one.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Jim

#57 Post by Jim »

Count me in. As a Cards fan, I'd prefer that game, but I can most likely free myself up for any weekend.
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#58 Post by Lions »

I'm most definitely out on these new dates, although I was still in the highly unlikely category for the other one. Perhaps next summer!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#59 Post by Denny »

Nutmeggers wrote:I'm most definitely out on these new dates, although I was still in the highly unlikely category for the other one. Perhaps next summer!
Yep, same here--I was a possible for the original date but definitely out on the new ones. Pity, as I'd have loved to see a Cubs-Cardinals matchup!
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#60 Post by John »

I'd like to purchase tickets for the game next week, or the week after that at the latest. So let's put in another call to PEBA members. We're definitely doing a get-together in Chicago this summer. The two possible dates are both Saturdays: July 28 or August 11. July 28 is my preferred date and has support from those who are signed on. It's a better rivalry game (Cardinals vs. Cubs rather than Reds vs. Cubs), but tickets to the game are also more expensive.

Please post your interest in attending as soon as possible. A few of you have said you'll post when we get closer to the date. Don't wait! Please post now so that I can arrange to purchase tickets!

Greg and Jon (and Aric?), you guys previously committed to attending when we were looking to meet on July 7. Could you post again to let us know if you're up for one or both of the new dates?

As for the rest of you, I want to see some non-Chicagoans commit! Y'all say how much you love the league... now's your chance to put your money (and body) where your mouth is! You really never know when this opportunity is going to come around again, so let's see some turnout! ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”