Interesting or odd stats

Matt
VIP
VIP

Interesting or odd stats

#1 Post by Matt »

Would love to see some of the odd stats others have in their organization that might be getting overlooked.

Here's the most interesting from my system. CF Manny Elias at ss-a. Has 11 stolen bags and 20 runs scored over two seasons. Yet has just 18 at bats and 3 hits over the same span.
Sandgnats (Bill)

Re: Interesting or odd stats

#2 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

This is a stat that I mentioned in a post a few sims ago and it is absolutely mind-boggling to me.

The average amount of Sacs(Sac bunts) for a PEBA team is 36 in 2010. Believe it or not, the Statesmen have accumulated a grand total so far this year of

ZERO

How in the hell is that possible for an entire team to fail to sac one guy over in 115 games???
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

Here's one that will cue up the "Imperial March" theme. Aurora and Crystal Lake are the only two organizations in the PEBA that can boast that every team in their organization - from the majors to Low-A - has a winning record throughout its history.
  • Aurora organization teams have combined to go 1480-891, a .624 winning percentage. They've made 10 playoff appearances and won 3 league championships.
  • Crystal Lake organization teams have combined to go 1437-935, a .606 winning percentage. They've made 11 playoff appearances and won 3 league championships.
Evil Empires, indeed! :twisted:
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

Here's a funky one for you: In the entire PEBA universe, there are just 8 players who have walked 100 times or more during their league's 2010 season. 3 of those players (George Riley, Pat Lilly and Rob Raines) play in the PEBA. Another 4 (Luis "Digger" Torres - the overall walk leader with 125 - plus Wilson Gonzáles, Jamie Boyd and Brandon "The Beast" Collins) play in the GBB (AAA).

The other one is the most interesting: It's Ken Keddy, who plays for Fargo's AA affiliate, the Toronto Phantoms. I find Keddy to be the most interesting for a couple of reasons. He ranks #5 in our universe in overall walks despite having far fewer plate appearances than all the other guys at the top of the list. Whereas all the other guys have 476 PA or more, Keddy has amassed 110 walks in just 409 plate appearances. Now consider that he's only 19 years old and doing this at AA. Holy &#@*!!!

Sadly, Keddy won't be building on his walk totals since he's out for the season with a ruptured disc suffered on the 15th of July. Still, it's easy to see why he's the PEBA's #2-ranked prospect. Keep The name "Ken Keddy" in your mind; it won't be long before he storms the majors.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Steel Dragons

#5 Post by Steel Dragons »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:Keddy has amassed 110 walks in just 409 plate appearances........

Sadly, Keddy won't be building on his walk totals since he's out for the season with a ruptured disc suffered on the 15th of July.
That might be the oddest part of Keddy's whole season. How does he hurt his back if he never swings the bat?Image
James Bowman

#6 Post by James Bowman »

Sandgnats (Bill) wrote:How in the hell is that possible for an entire team to fail to sac one guy over in 115 games???
See player strategy, override team strategy, sac bunt slider. :)

I'm not necessarily against the sac bunt, but more so the AI's implementation.

From watching all of my team's replays since I've joined the league, I've come to the conclusion that the AI waits until there is 1 out until using the sac bunt, most of the time only advancing a runner from first to second.

I'd rather take my chances with a hit-run, or just flat out letting the guy hit.

Of course, I could be wrong, and consequently seriously handicapping my team here, but the AI in my opinion has horrible judgement in this department. Just like they frequently pinch run for a runner on 3rd with two outs (not when there was 1 out with a chance at a sac fly, but yes waiting until there are two outs), I'm constantly asking "why" these choices were made.

In short, I believe the game's in-game logic to be too flawed to trust. :-[

I welcome any comments and criticisms, and I'm curious to see if you all watch your replays and actually see a high percentage of sac-bunts leading to runs thereafter.

Please share. :)
Sandgnats (Bill)

#7 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Yes, I'm aware of the strategy tab. :D It was still amazing to me that even if you(Jon-CST) had your slide bar all the way down, that not one sac would occur!

I do not watch my replays, so I cannot offer any insight there. Substituting pinch runners with 2 outs as you said is shockingly stupid. I was unaware of that, so thanks for the 411.

I realize that it's AI and will never be perfect, but the thing that irks me is the bullpen use. To me, if you list 3 guys for a particular role, they should be inserted in that order(unless they're tired/exhausted of course). That is a VERY SIMPLE idea that follows basic logic. I don't know about the rest of you, but CL's bullpen is used at the AI's will and our order of #1, #2, #3, etc. is completely ignored the vast majority of the time.

I'm not trying to complain, but it is particularly aggravating when we're trying to:
1) Prevent injury by not over using a pitcher
2) Avoid a pitcher that is pitching horribly
3) Gain work for a pitcher that is being under-utilized

Any suggestions?????

On a side note, nice research on the stats John! I know we're both regarded 'evil empires' and that's fine. The only funny part to me is that CL hasn't won anything and we still hold that title. Additionally, before last year AUR hadn't won either and they were already tagged with that 'evil' distinction. :lol: I realize that PEBA is young, but you have to admit that fact is at least mildly amusing.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Tyler »

Sandgnats (Bill) wrote:Yes, I'm aware of the strategy tab. :D It was still amazing to me that even if you(Jon-CST) had your slide bar all the way down, that not one sac would occur!

I do not watch my replays, so I cannot offer any insight there. Substituting pinch runners with 2 outs as you said is shockingly stupid. I was unaware of that, so thanks for the 411.

I realize that it's AI and will never be perfect, but the thing that irks me is the bullpen use. To me, if you list 3 guys for a particular role, they should be inserted in that order(unless they're tired/exhausted of course). That is a VERY SIMPLE idea that follows basic logic. I don't know about the rest of you, but CL's bullpen is used at the AI's will and our order of #1, #2, #3, etc. is completely ignored the vast majority of the time.

I'm not trying to complain, but it is particularly aggravating when we're trying to:
1) Prevent injury by not over using a pitcher
2) Avoid a pitcher that is pitching horribly
3) Gain work for a pitcher that is being under-utilized

Any suggestions?????

On a side note, nice research on the stats John! I know we're both regarded 'evil empires' and that's fine. The only funny part to me is that CL hasn't won anything and we still hold that title. Additionally, before last year AUR hadn't won either and they were already tagged with that 'evil' distinction. :lol: I realize that PEBA is young, but you have to admit that fact is at least mildly amusing.
So far, the only nugget I've learned is that your #2 MR will work a lot more than your #1 MR. I have no idea the leverage of the situations, though.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#9 Post by Coqui »

I fear I can't be quite as interesting as the gentlemen above, but I'll have a go anyway. Sergio Guillen a starter for my Canton Longshoremen, garners a decision 71% of the time he appears. This is made the more interesting by the fact that he has appeared in relief nine times. A decision rate that high certainly seems odd to me.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by John »

I'll go a little esoteric on your. Salvador Reyes of the Guadalajara Chivas Rayadas is the only player who has appeared in all four seasons of the Alianza Béisbol Al Sur de la Frontera who has amassed an OPS above 1.000 in each of those seasons. He's also the only player with at least 10 HR and 10 SB every year since 2008. And he also will be a free agent in July of 2011. Get your pocketbooks ready, gentlemen.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Alan Ehlers

#11 Post by Alan Ehlers »

These stats are interesting to Tempe so here goes.

1. The fact that we are still over .500 and that we are going to make a nice profit for the year is great considering this team lost 115 games 3 years ago and has never won over 67 games.

2. the addition of Garcia has increased my fan interest to 75, considering when I started my fan interest was below 35 that is a nice improvement.

3. Tempe's five year plan is going according to schedule and if not the playoffs this year then next year for sure you can mark your calenders.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Bill »

I'm always interested to see how Tempe's five-year plan is going, as they are something of a test case for small-to-mid market teams fighting their ways into contention. If they can get it going, perhaps I can - perhaps even Yuma can. Speaking of which (that's what they call a segue in the biz)...

In six games to begin September, Bud Hoffman is trying to do one last favor for the Yuma faithful by bolstering his offseason trade value (Yuma is already accepting offers, so don't be shy). In these six games, Bud has posted a sterling .615/.667/1.000 line and drilled 3 HR. His season's line has climbed from .329/.419/.458/.867 to .344/.429/.486/.915. That's right, his OPS has jumped 48 points in six games in September. I don't think I can state forcefully enough how remarkable that is. Simply an amazing beginning to Hoffman's ostensible Yuma farewell tour.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by DanD »

I think my offense owes Luis Garza an apology (and all their fans as well).

His numbers this season are not bad. They aren't terrific, but they are in line with his career averages:

3.75 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 163 IP

Take a guess at what his record is this season?

4-15

His most recent game pretty much sums it up:

Result: Loss, 0-1
IP: 8.0
H: 9
R: 1
ER: 1
BB: 1
K: 6
Dec: Loss
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Ghosts »

Bakersfield is about to set a record of sorts: worst performance in comparison with Pythagorean projection.

Right now, we're -8 or -9 (the standings display and the team metrics display differ), which is pretty incredible. We need a stroke of serious luck to take down Fargo (a PLUS 7!!!!), who in the "pythagorean" world should be about 10-12 games in back of us.

The loss of Bob Peterson may be the loss of our season.

Incredibly, Palm Springs is breathing down our necks with a -7, though since they're already in the playoffs who cares.
Alan Ehlers

#15 Post by Alan Ehlers »

Well Tempe gave it its best shot just suck on the road. I can take 3 of 4 from the best team twice in the same year at home but once I hit the road I resemble the 62 Mets. I should get the crap kicked out of me by Bakersfield then i come home for my final 7 games. I should not complain I stated that my goal this year was .500 and all I need is three more wins and I have achieved that. Also I think I am in good shape for a playoff run next year especially since Sharp and Rivera look like they are ready to have breakout seasons next year. Add Duncan to the bullpen along with Hancock, Collins and Cox and our pitching should be great again.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”