Single-A
Single-A

Spring Training Week 1.

#1 Post by NeilT »

@ Amsterdam Lions
Monday 6th March 2034
10:05 AM PT
W 8-2 Derrick Dwyer

First game under the tenure of the new GM may have only been a Spring Training game but it ended up with an impressive 8-2 win against the Amsterdam Lions.

Derrick Dwyer was the standout player not only for the Calzones but also gaining him Player of the Game honours, he reached base safely in each of his 3 at bats gaining 2 doubles and a single and also crossing the plate 3 times with an rbi to boot.

vs Scottish Claymores
Tuesday 7th March 2034
10:05 AM PT
W 3-2 (13) Jeff van der Eijk

Jeff van der Eijk didn't even start the game but still managed to come away with the Player of the Game award in another Calzones win, it did however take 13 innings to overcome the fighting spirit of the Claymores.

van der Eijk replaced Luis Cedeño at 3B in the 7th inning, surprisingly as the Colombian native had got on base with 2 singles in his 2 plate appearances. 3B seemed to be the charm though as van der Eijk on his first visit to the plate had an rbi single.

He managed to cement his Player of the Game votes when in the bottom of the 13th, he got on base with a single, stole 2nd and reached 3rd on an error.

"2-2 count for Aguilera, van der Eijk on 3rd. Riddle sends in a fastball, Aguilera sends it way, way back into the afternoon sun. Dempster snags it at the wall in centerfield, van der Eijk tags up. Dempster throws to home but van der Eijk as too much speed today, Calzones win, Calzones win".

Lowell "Voice of the Calzones" Peterson

@ West Virginia Alleghenies
Wednesday 8th March 2034
12:05 PM PT
W 5-3 Mason 'The Wizard' Gallagher

Another game another win, Calzones are 3-0 just a pity at the top of the standings it says Spring Training. 1 streak however was broken, despite the win it wasn't a Calzones player who was the player of the game it was an Alleghenies player.

Don't get me wrong Gallagher had a good game, 2 runs, 2 hits and a walk. Although I liked Gilberto Fernández and his stats line of 1 hit, 1 run and 2 rbi more but I'm blinkered as far as San Antonio players are concerned.

vs Arlington Bureaucrats
Thursday 9th March 2034
W 3-2 Gilberto Fernández

Gilberto Fernández finished of a whirlwind few days with a player of the game award, an award that was deserved seeing he was the result of the 3 runs that won the game for the Calzones. The whirlwind had been the trade enquiries that the Calzones had received.

"We had a few enquires about Gilberto, a couple of little value, a couple that did interest me. However I think the fans would have turned on me if I'd accepted, although it was Gilberto visiting my office and stating he didn't want to move. That was the turning point in discussions with the interested parties the look on his face when he said the San Antonio Calzones were his home, that was enough for me".

GM Neil Thomas

@ Kentucky Thoroughbreds
Friday 10th March 2034
1:05 PM PT
L 3-4 Rocky Kowalski

The streak finally ended at 4 but it was stopped by a close fought 1 run defeat to the Thoroughbreds, the Calzones actually took the lead in the top of the 3rd. Kentucky levelled the game in the 4th but San Antonio again went in front in the top of the 6th but there lead would only last till the bottom of the 6th, Kentucky going ahead 4-3 in what would be the final score.

@ San Juan Coqui
Saturday 11th March 2034
L 2-3 (11) Ju-chan Park

It was important to see how the Calzones would bounce back against San Juan after there first defeat against Kentucky, despite there second defeat in a row San Antonio could be proud of a 3-2 defeat in extra innings.

What maybe worrying though going forward is the fact they let 2 leads slip in the 3rd and 10th, add those to the 2 in the previous game and they may want to put there foot down on opponents rather than let them back in the game.
Neil Thomas
GM San Juan Coqui

Return to “San Antonio Calzones of Laredo”