The Bear Truth Issue 1 2029.

NeilT
Single-A
Single-A

The Bear Truth Issue 1 2029.

#1 Post by NeilT »

The major news in the first issue of The Bear Truth is the change at the GM position within the Bears organisation, GM Dan Vail is no longer as he goes to pastures new. In steps GM Neil Thomas, GM Thomas isn't a new name within the PEBA with stints in Yuma with the Bulldozers and the now defunct Hyakujuu Shinkansen ball club from Hiroshima. However what becomes more intriguing with this appointment is the fact GM Thomas had been retired from baseball for the past four years, we asked the new Bakersfield GM why he came out of retirement.

"Well I'm in Bakersfield looking over some new stock for the farm, next thing I know I'm being offered a job working for the Bears. What can I say it was an offer I couldn't refuse."

We also asked ex GM Vail a couple of questions.

Why the sudden resignation, or as it been on the cards for awhile? And do you have any words for the fans in Bakersfield?

"David Novak has very high expectations, and despite some success in my two seasons, we weren't able to bring home a championship. That's on me. David and I couldn't agree on the best strategy for the next two seasons, and I felt that in-fighting would be to the detriment of the organization. The members of the Bears organization, who at every level have given their all, deserve to have full confidence in their front office. I could no longer provide that and so it was time to step aside. I believe the Bears are well positioned for success for a long time, and so I'm happy for the fans. To them I say, now I'm one of you. I'll be watching and cheering for Jetstream and Cold Smoke and Red Hook right alongside you."

What are your future plans?

"I've decided to take on the new challenge of transitioning the Niihama-shi Ghosts back to the highest level of baseball competition, PEBA. So, I'll see the Bears and all the other Sovereign League teams again soon.

All my best,
Dan Vail."

Although GM Vail left the Bears in a strong position there are difficult decisions to be made on the part of GM Thomas, does he sign Webb to an extension, Hooper is another who isn't a million miles from free agency. There are also rumours abound that the new GM as been approached on the availability of Silva, Jordan and Ortega. So are the Bears going to keep pace with the Codgers and Borealis or will we see them drop back for a season or two and restock.

One thing's for sure the emergence of a new GM does bring changes, one change that will be implemented this year will be viewable on the The Oaks at Aera Field ballpark home of the Bears. In a press release GM Thomas gave his reason.

I was sat in my office, swung round on my chair to take a break and look out on the ballpark. Don't get me wrong it's a good ballpark but it was missing something, as people who know me are well aware I love the history of the game. I love seeing the ball players of old coming to the ballpark, seeing how these young kids play the game so starting on Opening Day 2030 we will be inducting into the Bears Hall of Fame, four players each year to commemorate their service to baseball in Bakersfield. Who the first 4 inductees will be only time will tell as GM Thomas when asked replied "wait and see".
Neil Thomas
GM San Juan Coqui
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: The Bear Truth Issue 1 2029.

#2 Post by Sandgnats »

I like the title for the blog!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats