Film Schools

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Matt
VIP
VIP

Film Schools

#1 Post by Matt »

My daughter wants to study film in college. Her dream is to be a film maker.

We're looking at the film program at the University of Texas in Austin. (Which if she attends, for those interested, I will be auctioning off a kidney.... :cry: ).

The program has a lot going for it from what I can tell. The arts community in general is fairly robust in Austin. Think South by Southwest.

The masters program is an additional three years, highly competitive, with only 12 students per year accepted.

Nearby is the Austin School of Film, which offers seminars by those in the industry as well as work space.

Last but not least, it's the home of my beloved Longhorns.

Does anyone have any insights on other film programs we could compare it to?
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Film Schools

#2 Post by Arroyos »

Matt,

USC, UCLA and the Cal Institute for the Arts all have prestigious film schools in California, all with significant ties to the industry. But the number one film program, according to those in the industry, is offered by the American Film Institute. If your daughter is willing to relocate to Southern California, those are the programs to shoot for. Acceptance often includes significant financial support, since the programs are heavily endowed with money from Hollywood. Here's an article worth checking out.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by roncollins »

All I can add to this is that wherever she goes, she should make lots of science fiction films.

Sent from my phone.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

I don't have advice about specific programs, but Austin is one of the premier film hotbeds in the entire world. It's home to the Alamo Drafthouse, the South by Southwest Film Festival, and a host of filmmakers and film organizations. My theory on getting a good education is, "Situate yourself where the action is." On that score, you can't go wrong with Austin.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Nigel »

No insights I'm afraid but I could do with that kidney lol. I lost one to cancer in 1996 so a spare would come in handy down the pub :bang:
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”