OOTP Does Football - American Style

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

OOTP Does Football - American Style

#1 Post by Apollos »

I just stumbled across this thread over at the OOTP Forums today. It appears as if OOTP is finally going to enter the nearly non-existent football sim market. I know that interest here in football is probably only lukewarm, but I've been waiting for an OOTP-style football sim for years. Given that it looks like it's going to be the brain child of a former SI (FM series) programmer, I'm even more stoked to see how this turns out. It seems that between this and FHM, OOTP Devs are really starting to branch out into other sports genres. Expecting some sort of announcement on Friday, 31 Jan to officially announce the product. :clap:
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: OOTP Does Football - American Style

#2 Post by Alleghenies »

Big football fan here as well. I cant wait for this! What happened to their hockey sim? Did it flop?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Evas »

That sounds very interesting.

In the past, I played a lot of Baseball Mogul. That same company makes a football sim called Football Mogul. You can get the last version of that for free on their site.

http://sportsmogul.com/games/football2k12.html

I liked BBM a lot when I played it. Less depth than OOTP, and it has nothing on the PEBAverse, but it was a great game to play through many seasons quickly.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
richard_v

#4 Post by richard_v »

Alleghenies wrote:Big football fan here as well. I cant wait for this! What happened to their hockey sim? Did it flop?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Hockey didn't flop, it's actually the reason why they've begun to branch out. It was successful and Football is the one game everyone has wanted, so they're going to give it a shot.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by John »

As a "ghost beta tester" for this mythical product, I can tell you that if it were something in development, it would be very cool, indeed. 8)
Alleghenies wrote:What happened to their hockey sim? Did it flop?
Kind of. Sales were reasonably good, so Dylan is right to say that the game wasn't a flop, but the product itself left a lot of people disappointed. Sebastian is working hard on fixing things, though. OOTP is so polished now that it's hard to remember how rough the game's first few versions were. Given time, I think FHM will find its legs.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Shinkansen

#6 Post by Shinkansen »

John wrote:As a "ghost beta tester" for this mythical product, I can tell you that if it were something in development, it would be very cool, indeed. 8)
Alleghenies wrote:What happened to their hockey sim? Did it flop?
Kind of. Sales were reasonably good, so Dylan is right to say that the game wasn't a flop, but the product itself left a lot of people disappointed. Sebastian is working hard on fixing things, though. OOTP is so polished now that it's hard to remember how rough the game's first few versions were. Given time, I think FHM will find its legs.
I bought it and thought I'd give it a shot, but it was too slow and had a bunch of technical difficulties. I like the idea and where it's at, but it needs some tinkering with if I'm going to commit time to it.
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Apollos »

John wrote:As a "ghost beta tester" for this mythical product, I can tell you that if it were something in development, it would be very cool, indeed. 8)
Lucky! Can't wait to get my hands on this mythical title. Considering it might be in beta, that's promising that it's not too far off now. Mercifully, considering the sporting dead zone known as February and March are upon us.
Steel Dragons

#8 Post by Steel Dragons »

I can't wait, l love football and would join a league if peba started one

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Tapatalk
Shinkansen

#9 Post by Shinkansen »

What would we call the football league? PEFA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Evas »

Steel Dragons wrote:I can't wait, l love football and would join a league if peba started one

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Tapatalk
Amen to that. I would too. The nice thing about that is the seasons would fly by quickly. We would need probably about 26 sims to do 4 preseason weeks, 18 regular season weeks and 4 playoff game weeks. Off season would probably take another 13 or so sims to do, though I think that could be compressed with a WM type event. There are long stretches of time in the NFL calendar that could be sped through (summer, post Super Bowl to Draft). I think all of that means we could get through 3 seasons a year operating at 2 sims/week. Name wise, I'd go with Planetary American Football Association - PAFA.

After this thread kicked off, I couldn't resist diving in to Football Mogul 2012. I had forgotten just how rough and shallow that game was compared to where OOTP has progressed. Football Mogul 2012 was practically a Facebook game compared to OOTP.

Still, I got hooked a proceeded to stay up until 1:30 AM so I could run the Browns until they won it all. It took me 3 quarterbacks and 7 years. So I probably now have a little more sympathy for the Browns' stooges.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#11 Post by Rory »

I've been playing Front Office Football for a couple of years now. It's prolly the most in-depth and realistic football sim out there.(especially the new version) My opinion of course.
OOTP football better bring their "A" game in this venture as I'm sure they will. The game play and game detail of FOF will be hard to match. OOTP baseball is the best baseball sim I've run across and with very good graphics, which is a bonus. So I'm sure they will do it up right....But hopefully without charging for yearly patches. :o :lol:
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Apollos »

I'm glad you guys mentioned the possibility of starting an online spinoff of the PEBA in a possible football game because it was one of my first thoughts when I was reading through the initial thread. I'd definitely be interested as well. We will have to see how this initial product looks and whether the features will lend themselves to online functionality yet, but I'd certainly be willing to volunteer to start standing this up once we get our hands on it!
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Cole »

As the person who started that thread on the OOTP Devs forum (I'm ripwalk on there), I am happy it led to all the discovery about the new game. I feel kind of bad since it's perhaps stealing their thunder and 'surprise' element .. But if they wanted to keep the secret locked up, they surely didn't do a very thorough job of it (with the developer's blog available and discussed on other forums, complete with his profile saying he's lead developer with OOTP Devs, etc).

I'm actually shocked no one had previously discovered that link between Francis Cole and OOTP Devs and posted about it. I'm definitely looking forward to thsi game.

Knights wrote:I've been playing Front Office Football for a couple of years now. It's prolly the most in-depth and realistic football sim out there.(especially the new version) My opinion of course.
OOTP football better bring their "A" game in this venture as I'm sure they will. The game play and game detail of FOF will be hard to match. OOTP baseball is the best baseball sim I've run across and with very good graphics, which is a bonus. So I'm sure they will do it up right....But hopefully without charging for yearly patches. :o :lol:
I haven't ever gotten into FOF. I actually just downloaded V7 last night to give it a spin..

It seems very in depth, and seems like 'BTS' as it were will struggle to reach that level of detail in a first version, considering that game has been in development for years.

That being said, the game feels very "sterile" ... Lower on the immersion factor.. and of course, lack of customization (personally I don't want to recreate NFL, or even play modern day NFL).

If the OOTP game doesn't have customizable leagues and something like Facegen to add some immersion, I think it will just end up being a pared down version of what is already a good statistical and depth game in FOF.

But, curious your opinion Rory as someone who has lots of experience with FOF .. Where do you feel it is lacking and that an OOTP football game could surpass it?
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by roncollins »

I've found that I can only really do service to participating deeply in one sports sim at a time. I can play in a couple, but only one can get any real time. Perhaps that's just me.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”