I would just like to thank you all!

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Shinkansen

I would just like to thank you all!

#1 Post by Shinkansen »

I would just like to thank you all, as I just got off the phone with the Boston Red Sox assistant scouting director Steve Sanders and he offered me a job in the Red Sox front office upon my graduation from high school in 2015 and a couple other things (Nothing definite yet if there is turmoil or change in the Red Sox front office). I was interviewed a couple months ago and used OOTP as a selling point. Sometimes having an English teacher who can pull a few stings isn't such a bad thing. I'm not going anywhere guys, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for improving my knowledge as a baseball fan and now a future scout of the Red Sox, hopefully haha
Last edited by Shinkansen on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: I would just like to thanks you all!

#2 Post by Evas »

Congrats, man. To get your foot in the door at the Red Sox, just too cool for words.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

That's just outstanding news, Charlie. We can't take any credit at all, though; this is entirely owing to your hard work. You deserve to be proud. You're heading for a job that most of us would lie, cheat, and steal to get. Enjoy it and keep that passion burning! ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Shinkansen

#4 Post by Shinkansen »

John wrote:That's just outstanding news, Charlie. We can't take any credit at all, though; this is entirely owing to your hard work. You deserve to be proud. You're heading for a job that most of us would lie, cheat, and steal to get. Enjoy it and keep that passion burning! ;-D
Yes, thanks John! I could be any luckier. It's pretty much all about luck and who you know, unfortunately. But I'm not complaining haha
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Leones »

Very cool. Good on ya Charlie!
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by roncollins »

Congrats!

As you get older you'll grow to understand that "who you know" doesn't get you nearly as far as you think it will, and "luck" is a matter of working hard enough to create lots of chances. :)
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Cliff Hangers wrote:As you get older you'll grow to understand that "who you know" doesn't get you nearly as far as you think it will, and "luck" is a matter of working hard enough to create lots of chances. :)
Boy, is this true. I'm seeing the truth of it as I work on my writing project. There are those that whine about the "luck" of the success stories, and then there are the success stories who put their heads down and show up to work every day, whether they feel like it or not. Luck is built, not bestowed.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Leones »

Somebody once said that luck is where preparation and opportunity meet. Best description I ever heard.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by klewis »

Congrats, Charlie! You get an opportunity to be closer to the action than most of us armchair GMs can imagine. I'm not sure if you have the pull yet but maybe after a couple of months, you can suggest sending Big Papi to the A's. Thanks in advance!
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Lions »

Very cool, Charlie! Congrats!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Shinkansen

#11 Post by Shinkansen »

Featherheads wrote:Congrats, Charlie! You get an opportunity to be closer to the action than most of us armchair GMs can imagine. I'm not sure if you have the pull yet but maybe after a couple of months, you can suggest sending Big Papi to the A's. Thanks in advance!
HAHA maybe, but I'm not a Red Sox fan so… I guess I wouldn't mind it. How do you feel about the Kazmir signing?
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by klewis »

Shinkansen wrote:I guess I wouldn't mind it. How do you feel about the Kazmir signing?
The Kazmir signing didn't really excite me. But these days, $10+ million for a #3 or 4 starter is practically the norm. I am cautiously optimistic about the signing though because Billy has had a good track record of finding less desirable free agents who performed above their expectation. I am hoping Kazmir falls into that category. Hopefully, he can replace Bartolo Colon.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Jason »

Shinkansen wrote:I would just like to thank you all, as I just got off the phone with the Boston Red Sox assistant scouting director Steve Sanders and he offered me a job in the Red Sox front office upon my graduation from high school in 2015 and a couple other things (Nothing definite yet if there is turmoil or change in the Red Sox front office). I was interviewed a couple months ago and used OOTP as a selling point. Sometimes having an English teacher who can pull a few stings isn't such a bad thing. I'm not going anywhere guys, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for improving my knowledge as a baseball fan and now a future scout of the Red Sox, hopefully haha
Congrats! Do Red Sox Nation proud!
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

Forum: 200+
June 8, 2011-2020: 847-800 (Omaha Cyclones)
2021-June 5, 2023: 179-202 (Hartford Harpoon)
Warnke ERA: 1026-1002 (.506)
2015 SL Champions (OMA)
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

Re: I would just like to thank you all!

#14 Post by Maulers »

There is literally no way this is true. It is simply not conceivable that a Major League Baseball team would hire a kid who hasn't even completed high school and who has no obvious credentials to recommend him. His "high school English teacher" got him a job as an MLB scout? Please.
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

Re: I would just like to thank you all!

#15 Post by Zephyrs »

The whole think stunk of B.S. but, at the time I didn't want to be the mean guy accusing the kid of lying.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”