Jason Collins breaks a sporting barrier

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jason Collins breaks a sporting barrier

#1 Post by John »

Jason Collins wrote:I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.

I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand...

I realized I needed to go public when Joe Kennedy, my old roommate at Stanford and now a Massachusetts congressman, told me he had just marched in Boston's 2012 Gay Pride Parade. I'm seldom jealous of others, but hearing what Joe had done filled me with envy. I was proud of him for participating but angry that as a closeted gay man I couldn't even cheer my straight friend on as a spectator. If I'd been questioned, I would have concocted half truths. What a shame to have to lie at a celebration of pride. I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, "Me, too."
Bravo. Image This needed to happen, and I'm glad it's happening now. Little by little, we're seeing progress in the realm of sexual tolerance. There will be resisters, of course. Collins will get his share of accolades, but he'll also have scorn heaped upon him. I'm quite sure he understands that and is prepared to deal with what's coming. But by virtue of his bravery, the next pro athlete who comes out will receive just a little less scorn, and even a little less scorn for the one after. Eventually, there may be no stigma attached to the announcement that an athlete is gay at all. And when it's no big deal for an athlete to be gay, it's more likely to become no big deal for anyone to be gay. That will be a day I'll really look forward to.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Matt
VIP
VIP

Re: Jason Collins breaks a sporting barrier

#2 Post by Matt »

It really shouldn't come as a shock that there are gay athletes. Many have come out or been outed after thier playing careers. I can name a handful of gay former players from every major sport with the exception of hockey, and those guys are just too damned ugly to be gay. :lol:

I can understand why gay players have stayed in the closet during thier careers. Just as many in other walks of life have stayed in the closet over the years. It wasn't socially acceptable, and often dangerous to be openly gay. But we know full well that the fight over gay rights is all but over. Even 'culture warrior' Bill O'Reilly has thrown in the towel and admitted defeat. The younger generation overwhelmingly supports gay rights.

We have been a country that consistently marches towards more equality, not less, not status quo. More. Always. Womens rights. Civil rights. Now Gay rights. And it is really something we should celebrate as a country, because we all deserve the protections of the Constitution, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation. We The People may have once meant We The Straight White Male, but our minds have evolved far beyond that non-sense 240+ years later.
Aaron Tassano

#3 Post by Aaron Tassano »

Not to remove focus from what's truly important here, but it'll be interesting to see how Collins fares in the free agent market this offseason. That'll probably have more bearing on the future of athletes coming out of the closet than what people are thinking about now. And I'm not only considering the fact that he'll be somehow shunned by other NBA teams. It's entirely possible it'll increase his value. No one really knows.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#4 Post by Matt »

Arsenal wrote:Not to remove focus from what's truly important here, but it'll be interesting to see how Collins fares in the free agent market this offseason. That'll probably have more bearing on the future of athletes coming out of the closet than what people are thinking about now. And I'm not only considering the fact that he'll be somehow shunned by other NBA teams. It's entirely possible it'll increase his value. No one really knows.
That's one of the discussions I heard today listening to an interview on CNBC. One school of thought is that it makes him much more marketable for endorsements. But even if the going is a little bumpy for Collins, he's paved a road that will eventually make it easier for all gay athletes. It's not like 30 yrs ago, when Martina Navritilova came out of the closet and lost all her endorsements almost immediately. For a gay athlete today, the public is much more accepting, and in the end it's the public perceptions that will have the most weight in things like endorsements, possibly even in contract negotiations.

I think one drawback in the NBA could be the smaller size of the teams, where one or two anti-gay individuals could make things rough. In a sport with larger teams, like baseball and especially the large rosters of the NFL, those voices would be much more of a minority.
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Apollos »

Calzones wrote:It really shouldn't come as a shock that there are gay athletes. Many have come out or been outed after thier playing careers. I can name a handful of gay former players from every major sport with the exception of hockey, and those guys are just too damned ugly to be gay. :lol:

I can understand why gay players have stayed in the closet during thier careers. Just as many in other walks of life have stayed in the closet over the years. It wasn't socially acceptable, and often dangerous to be openly gay. But we know full well that the fight over gay rights is all but over. Even 'culture warrior' Bill O'Reilly has thrown in the towel and admitted defeat. The younger generation overwhelmingly supports gay rights.

We have been a country that consistently marches towards more equality, not less, not status quo. More. Always. Womens rights. Civil rights. Now Gay rights. And it is really something we should celebrate as a country, because we all deserve the protections of the Constitution, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation. We The People may have once meant We The Straight White Male, but our minds have evolved far beyond that non-sense 240+ years later.
Great comments. I think the fact that this story is getting less national play than one would have expected is a good indication of the fact that the country has just moved to a point where it's no longer an issue among the mainstream. Hopefully this encourages any other gay athletes that may have been afraid to openly admit their sexual orientation -- though I suspect it'll be sometime before we see it in football -- to come out and put this to bed once and for all.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Bill »

They had Martina Navratilova on Mike and Mike this morning. She made a really poignant comment. Many of the conservative presidents in her lifetime (she mentioned Reagan and HW Bush specifically) wouldn't even say the word gay or address the topic at all. Obama not only addressed it but specifically called him. Both a political and cultural observation I think.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#7 Post by Matt »

Looks like the NFL might see the barrier broken shortly.

Michael Sam comes out as gay.
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#8 Post by Rory »

Jason Collins wrote:
I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.
Just for the record, we are not related.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”