Franchise Hockey Manager-- OOTP on Ice

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Franchise Hockey Manager-- OOTP on Ice

#1 Post by Mike Dunn »

Out of the Park Development's new franchise is Franchise Hockey Manager. Pre-order in a month, release in September, but the pre-order gets you the beta.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/f ... ost3440241
Anybody following this? Planning to get this?
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager-- OOTP on Ice

#2 Post by John »

I have been following FHM 2013's development daily, though I have been so busy tonight that I didn't see the big announcement until you posted it here, Mike. I'm a little surprised by the September release date, but good for them for taking their time to do it right. You know I'm a big hockey nut - it's my second-favorite sport behind baseball - so this was of course right up my alley. FHM even includes online league play! No, no, I'm not going to be commissioning a PEBA hockey league. :P But it's still cool that the option exist.

One area of disappointment for me is that a full fictional mode, complete with an OOTP-style wizard for setting up fictional leagues, isn't planned for the initial release. Or at least it wasn't. With this delay, there may be a chance that we'll see it in the first official release. Here's JeffR, FHM 2013's new "producer," on the possibility of fictional leagues making it into the initial release:
JeffR wrote:Definitely can't commit to anything like that right now, but if, a few months down the road, we found ourselves ahead of schedule for September, it would make sense to use the free time to look at adding back things that got cut in the push for an early-2013 release. No promises, though.
This is definitely one to watch! ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#3 Post by Jason »

Very cool!

I have tried to reach out to Markus several times about possibly developing a professional basketball simulation. There is literally nothing of any real value out there on the market. Never got a response.

The development was/is actually something that I would even be interested in backing financially, if given the same care as the OOTP Baseball franchise.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this new hockey program will be received. I have never been a fan of the sport, but maybe this will open my eyes to it!
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

Forum: 200+
June 8, 2011-2020: 847-800 (Omaha Cyclones)
2021-June 5, 2023: 179-202 (Hartford Harpoon)
Warnke ERA: 1026-1002 (.506)
2015 SL Champions (OMA)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Borealis »

Ghosts wrote:Anybody following this? Planning to get this?
I think the Real Life Boy Wonder Aurora GM will be very excited about this!!! I find it intriguing....
Cyclones wrote:I have tried to reach out to Markus several times about possibly developing a professional basketball simulation. There is literally nothing of any real value out there on the market. Never got a response.
I'd think if they can do hockey, hoops can't be that different!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Nigel »

I've been all over it but like John I saw this before the OS announcement. Definitely pre-ordering !!

Perhaps if enough of us pre-order we could have a PEBA online beta hocket league ? :D
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Bill »

I haven't decided. Probably at worst case, I'll buy it just to support the company. I like hockey, but don't follow it very closely anymore because I don't have cable (and hockey is almost exclusively on cable).

I'd be sold more if we could do fictional leagues. Maybe a foreign league would scratch that itch enough for a while.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Underground wrote:Perhaps if enough of us pre-order we could have a PEBA online beta hocket league ? :D
I wouldn't run it, but I would certainly participate in it. ;-D
Warriors wrote:I'd be sold more if we could do fictional leagues. Maybe a foreign league would scratch that itch enough for a while.
I get the sense that the developers underestimated the draw of fictional leagues but are now getting clued into the demand. I expect to see work done on beefing up the fictional portion of the game before FHM 13's release.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Nigel »

Having now read the actual announcement it seems that due to the number of beta builds that are expected out a PEBA beta online league probably wouldn't work but I'll look into it and would be prepared to try and commish such a league

Would anybody be prepared to try a beta online even if it meant several restarts due to new builds coming out?
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Mike Dunn »

I can't think of a more boring name for a game sim. I remember when the devs first announced it, they asked for name suggestions at the OOTP forum. This was the best they came up with??? :-P

I had suggested "Get the Puck Out of Here," which at least had 'out of' like OOTP. But I guess they played it safe.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Steel Dragons

#10 Post by Steel Dragons »

I would only be interested if they did an Football game like OOTP
Greg A
Triple-A
Triple-A

#11 Post by Greg A »

Ghosts wrote:Out of the Park Development's new franchise is Franchise Hockey Manager. Pre-order in a month, release in September, but the pre-order gets you the beta.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/f ... ost3440241
Anybody following this? Planning to get this?

I can't wait!!!
Greg A
Triple-A
Triple-A

#12 Post by Greg A »

Cyclones wrote:Very cool!

I have tried to reach out to Markus several times about possibly developing a professional basketball simulation. There is literally nothing of any real value out there on the market. Never got a response.

The development was/is actually something that I would even be interested in backing financially, if given the same care as the OOTP Baseball franchise.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this new hockey program will be received. I have never been a fan of the sport, but maybe this will open my eyes to it!

I am with you Warnke!!! We need a hoops sim too :)
Neil Thomas

#13 Post by Neil Thomas »

Yes Mark! Yes Warnke!
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Denny »

Celestial Warriors wrote:
Cyclones wrote:Very cool!

I am with you Warnke!!! We need a hoops sim too :)
Agreed....that would be excellent! NBA basketball is my true sports love.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by John »

Underground wrote:Would anybody be prepared to try a beta online even if it meant several restarts due to new builds coming out?
Restarts don't bother me in the slightest. I'm familiar with this from my experiences with OOTPB beta test online leagues. It certainly would be no barrier for me with FHM '13.

Regarding fictional leagues, as I expected, it seems like the devs are going to use some of the extra time before release they have provided themselves to shore this area up. Here's Sebastian Palkowsk, lead developer, on the topic:i
Sebastian Palkowski wrote:No promises but one reason we decided on this schedule was the possibility to get the community more involved into the development process. With you guys playing/testing the game we will listen/discuss features for the game, moving them up and down our priority list. A fictional game start wizard and international play most likely will get some love from us as soon as possible. We already now that you want it. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”