Bayou Brieif - A Loss observed

Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Bayou Brieif - A Loss observed

#1 Post by Reg »

“So that’s it,” mused closer Dave Phelps, as he zipped up his bag and took one last look around the visitors clubhouse. Damp towels, wadded up scouting reports, and discarded newspaper articles paid homage to the sinking feeling that was settling onto the Trendsetters. The only thing that would have made the scene more suitable would have been if an old record player scratchily played “Turn out the lights, the party's over, they say that all good things must end, call it tonight, the party's over…”

Phelps was trying not to think about the what ifs that would make up most of tomorrow mornings breakfast and coffee break conversations around New Orleans. It was one thing to lose in the playoffs; it was something different to be totally embarrassed. Of course, Tanner and his front office crew would put on their best face and talk about the Dixie league pennant and other successes, but Phelps knew that underneath that would be the pain of leaving the playoffs after just three games and in those three games only having the lead for a half inning. They say it is better to have loved and lost than never have loved all at, but that type of medicine is ineffective against an eleven to nothing defeat when the offense was only able to squeak out two singles and a walk. And each of Phelps teammates had committed some energy to looking on the bright side with comments like “we’ll get’em next year” or “sometimes that’s just the way it goes” or “hey we got to turn our focus to defending our Dixie league pennant, put the playoffs behind us.”

But the encouragements were half hearted, and everybody was thinking the same thing, “I don’t want to go on vacation this early, I want to play a game tomorrow, my body can take more time on the field.” Yet they each realized that it was not to be. Others understood that this was the last time that this group, this team would be on the field together and some understood that next time they might have to face their friends as opponents.

But for Phelps there was an even greater frustration, brought on by the inability to contribute during the playoffs. Phelps helped mentor younger pitchers on approaching certain batters, and he cheered from his bullpen perch, but he never even come close to being needed in the game. He pitched in 65 games over the regular season 43 of which he received credit for the save. The only difference between him and a fan in the post season was that he got paid to watch the game. It was tough to watch the last game, seeing his teammates and friends give so much effort and to come up so short. To experience the feeling of inevitability as the game slipped into the final innings.

None the less, tomorrow would bring rest, and the beginning of catching up with family and friends. The team would gather for a banquet and celebration of their year together. That might be the last time Phelps saw some of his current teammates, as the next months would bring change in the guise of being more competitive and making more profit for next year. Phelps was not worried; he knew he was sticking around in New Orleans for at least two more years if not more. But old man Shannon would most likely be moving on, and Yang who was acquired mid season would be gone as well. Possibly the offseason would bring in new faces, new friends, and new energy to start the whole crazy chase of the playoffs again. But for now it was time to go back to the hotel, forget about the game, and get some rest.

As Phelps crossed over the threshold from the clubhouse into the hallway, he hit the light switch, which had a sign above it saying, “Last one out, turn out the lights….” Phelps hummed to himself, “the party is over.”
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Duane »

I have a big Q for you
How did you get ROB LAMBERT on the DL??? He was't ever on your active roster ... I've tried to put several guys on the DL but the game would not let me because of this
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Reg »

i moved him from my forty man roster to the 60 day dl, i think
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

I foundt his to be a particularly poignant and moving look at the other side of the coin; how a team feels when they've given it their all and it just hasn't been enough. Looking at it through Phelps's perspective was a great choice. Here's a guy who was #2 in all of PEBA in saves and was stuck being a frustrated observer when it counted the most. That's got to eat at you.

From the GMs perspective, you work so hard all year to put together the best team only to see it fall short at the end. I guess 20 of us know how that feels, and another 3 will be learning quite soon. I have to repeat something I said earlier, though: all of you should feel proud of your accomplishments. Whether you made it to the playoffs or not, I guarantee there's something positive to be taken out of your season.

Paul, there's a link in your article (the one to the song in the first paragraph) that's broken. What link would you like inserted in there?
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Reg »

it was a picture of willie nelson, really any picture of willie will do...

and glad you liked it John
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

I got a picture of Willie inserted in there now. :D

Return to “League News and Articles”