The Civ V expansion nears - time to jump back in?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Civ V expansion nears - time to jump back in?

#1 Post by John »

Look, I realize that as great as all this sounds, it's still an expansion to a game that you likely put down in favor of other things long ago. If you didn't, you wouldn't even need this preview, because you've probably already pre-ordered it. For those who did put aside Civ V some time ago, all I can say is that Gods & Kings is as valid a reason to pick the game back up again as you're likely to ever get. The game itself as as fun as ever, and the new additions feel significant enough to justify not just releasing them as piecemeal DLC. I can't say I'm exactly happy about the fact that Gods & Kings has given me the Civ shakes all over again, but considering I've been having a lot of fun playing through it, I guess I can't complain too hard.

I'll remind myself of that the next time I'm sitting bleary-eyed in my boxers at 3am desperately trying to muster enough coherent thought to decide on my next policy upgrade while my girlfriend is screaming at me to come to bed.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I really enjoyed our Civ V online games despite the shoddy nature of the game's multiplayer code. The bad news is that the upcoming expansion doesn't do anything to address multiplayer woes. The good news is that it seems to pack a whole lot of cool gameplay in. I'm thinking it might be fun to pick this up and start a new gaming session up. Have a look at the preview. Do you guys think you'd be interested?
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: The Civ V expansion nears - time to jump back in?

#2 Post by Bill »

I would definitely play again.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

By turn 90 I've had just about enough of the Mayans' smugness. Just a few turns ago, I arranged a nice Christmas party for all the different civilizations. Maria brought a fruit cake, and I made some wicked cider, but Pacal complained the whole time about how this was 550 BC and Christmas did not exist yet. What a stick in the mud. When I suggested we hang lights in his headpiece, he responded by setting my tree on fire.

Now my troops are sitting outside his capital city of Palenque, loaded to the teeth with rocks, spears, and Christmas cheer. A special report also comes down the wire informing me that the Mayans have the least-pointy sticks in the world. This is a good sign.
A nice walk-through of the early game in Gods & Kings. Religion looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I like the idea of sending missionaries into foreign lands to convert those peoples to your beliefs. The new espionage model sounds fun, too.

I'm with Bill: I'd definitely be up for more Civ V once Gods & Kings comes out on June 19. The expansion will be available for both PC and Mac and will retail for $30, though I imagine there will be sales around release time. So we've got at least two of us interested in this. Anybody else?
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Bill »

Yes, I very much like the re-addition of religion. :clap:
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Hitmen »

Mmmm I would totally be down for some more civilization. ;-D
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by DanD »

I would probably be up for some Civ! I'll have to re-teach myself how to play though :lol:
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Paul Moots

#7 Post by Paul Moots »

I'm in Dan's boat - I'd have to re-learn, especially since I have never gone past Civ III. We'll have to see if the budget can handle both game and expansion. If so, I'd love to play.

Paul
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by John »

I'm really excited to hear that there's interest! I'm right along with the rest of you - I haven't played a minute of Civ V since we ended our PEBACiv gaming group sessions, so I'll be learning all over again. But that's totally fine with me... I don't mind being schooled as I learn on the fly. I'll just make sure to fix it so anyone who attacks my civilization finds a few of their players suffering from nasty long-term injuries in their next sim. :twisted: Kidding, kidding!

Paul, I'm especially glad to hear you're interested since you'd be a PEBACiv newcomer. Completely understand about needing to fit the game into your budget. Like I said, the pre-order price is $30, but I think you'll find it available for ~$25 at launch. That's still a little bit of change, but at least there's a month remaining to fit it into the budget.

Michael, would Tom like to join us? I'd love to have him; he's a blast to play with.

I'll leave you with another Gods & Kings preview. This one covers the "steampunk" scenarios in the game. I imagine it will be quite shocking to see a Maya armada of zeppelins floating towards your capital city. :o
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#9 Post by Apollos »

I've never played Civ online, so I have no idea what it entails, but assume it requires us all to be online at the same time? If so that will probably preclude my joining you, but if not, I'd love to give it a whirl.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by John »

Online Civ does require that we're on at the same time, but before we count you out, Brian, what weekday and weekend hours would you usually be free? We might be able to find some workable time, particularly on weekends.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Bill »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:Online Civ does require that we're on at the same time, but before we count you out, Brian, what weekday and weekend hours would you usually be free? We might be able to find some workable time, particularly on weekends.
Right. Maybe if we play Friday nights it would be Sat morning his time.
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Jason »

I'd love to but I don't have the time right now... The previous sessions were definitely a blast!
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

Forum: 200+
June 8, 2011-2020: 847-800 (Omaha Cyclones)
2021-June 5, 2023: 179-202 (Hartford Harpoon)
Warnke ERA: 1026-1002 (.506)
2015 SL Champions (OMA)
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Apollos »

Warriors wrote:
PEBA Commissioner wrote:Online Civ does require that we're on at the same time, but before we count you out, Brian, what weekday and weekend hours would you usually be free? We might be able to find some workable time, particularly on weekends.
Right. Maybe if we play Friday nights it would be Sat morning his time.
Friday nights, count me in for sure - we're +11 hours right now so as long as it's reasonable, I'd love to join you guys.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Hitmen »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:Michael, would Tom like to join us? I'd love to have him; he's a blast to play with.
Will see what I can do John, will bug him about it ;-D
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Grumbles

#15 Post by Grumbles »

Hitmen wrote:
PEBA Commissioner wrote:Michael, would Tom like to join us? I'd love to have him; he's a blast to play with.
Will see what I can do John, will bug him about it ;-D

I am most likely down to join in on some Civ 5 action. However I recently have had a huge reduction i my free time due to being employed, and I also have another community where I have responsibilities at as a Main Dev. So yeah as long as the time is doable for me (I start on 2nd shift next week which means I will prob at work till I get home late at night), I will most likely be down to join in.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”