Fargo Team Blog

Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Fargo Team Blog

#1 Post by Dinosaurs »

The season is winding down here in Fargo, and attention has shifted to what the offseason will bring with what looks like multiple positional question marks. The team has performed poorly on the field, particularly the pitching staff that is currently last in the Sovereign League in runs allowed per game at 5.8. Two of Fargo's more expensive players, starting pitchers Javier Aguilar (6-16, 5.26 ERA)and Alfredo Mora (4-8, 5.36 ERA)have turned in extremely disappointing seasons. Aguilar is in the final year of his contract and all indications are that he will be allowed to test the free agent market this offseason as the team has shown little interest in resigning Aguilar. Frustrations have flared between Aguilar and some of the Fargo coaches this year as well. Rumors have surfaced months back that the team has been shopping Mora in trade talks, as his contract has him signed through 2010 at $5.9 million a year.

All of this adds up to what looks like at least one opening in rotation, with the potential for two spots opening up if Mora or possibly Alfredo Pinto (5-17, 5.49 ERA) are moved this winter. The leading internal candidate for one of the potential spots is 24yr old Pedro Chavez, who has posted a 3.81 ERA in 27 starts for AAA Sioux Falls and is currently receiving a few starts on the major league level this September. Barring a free agent signing (which is growing very unlikely as the teams payroll for next year is already quite high), Chavez will head into spring training as the favorite to take the fifth spot in the rotation.

Chavez will have some company in the spring. 24yr old Anastasio Juárez (8-8, 2.94 ERA in 27 AAA starts) was aquired when then Fargo closer Guonçalle Malatestiano was traded to the Charleston Statesmen, has had a promising year in AAA, and officials within Fargo's front office are quite high on his chances to be a solid contributer to the team at some point in the near future. The third candidate, is the young, 21yr old, Lowell "Jellyroll" Tolbert (6-4, 2.53 ERA), who holds one of the lowest walks per game rates in AAA at 1.19 BB/9. According to statements made within the front office about Jellyroll, he'll likely start the season off in AAA, but will be one of the first in-line for a callup if an injury to one of the Fargo starters occurs during the season.

In my next report, I'll be looking at some of the questions about what the middle infield will look like come opening day next season, as its likely that neither of the current middle infielders will be on the roster come that time.

--Steve Youngblood
Fargo Gazette
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

What a great write-up! This is substantive enough of a blog post that I'm going to up it on the homepage when I get a moment here. It sounds like you have a solid plan for the off-season. Well done!
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by Dinosaurs »

thanks! I started writing and it ended up going longer than I thought. I'm definetly going to do a follow up on the middle infield situation, and maybe the catcher spot that will likely see a new face or two next year.

Return to “League News and Articles”