Dog fight to the finish

Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dog fight to the finish

#1 Post by Reg »

Bayou Brief: Sports

By Scott Plack

New Orleans and Charleston stand dead even on top of the Dixie Division headed into the last week of August. With a little over a month and a half left to play, this is not where Tanner wanted to be.

"Since day one we have preached consistancy. It is the second part of our baseball mantra. The first being pitching and defense win championships...especially consistent pitching," stated Tanner.

So far the only month that the Trendsetters have not had a winning percentage over .600 has been June where there record for the month was just two games over .500. They are in danger of adding a second month of not reaching the .600 mark if they do not play well the final week of August. Especially concerning is thier 4-6 record over the last 10 games they have played. The Statesmen on the other hand have won 12 of thier last 14 and have heated up at just the right time to challege for the lead.

Strangely enough for the Trendsetters the recent losses have mostly been poor outings by the bullpen rather than anemic offense stats. For a few players August has become a Eureka moment as the idea of connecting the ball with the bat to get on base has finally been discovered. The poster boy for this movement is 2B Jason Lloyd, who being a lefty, sees righthanded pitching the majority of the time, has hit .302 which is seventy points higher then his season average! Cooper Scott is another player who has been just average and continues that trend in August. He has hit 6 homeruns, but only managed to collect 10 rbis. Its hard to make homeruns ho-hum but Cooper gets as close as anyone. SS Deschamps continues to have a impressive rookie season having picked up 15 rbis in July his highest monthly total yet.

As far as the race goes, it is going to be a battle until the finish, and the Trendsetters hope that they can continue to consistently perform and maybe even catch a little bit on fire. It looks highly likely that the Dixie league will send three teams to the playoffs this year and will be an exciting race to watch until the end!!
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Dog fight to the finish

#2 Post by Tyler »

Trendsetters wrote:As far as the race goes, it is going to be a battle until the finish, and the Trendsetters hope that they can continue to consistently perform and maybe even catch a little bit on fire. It looks highly likely that the Dixie league will send three teams to the playoffs this year and will be an exciting race to watch until the end!!
One of which won't be me. :cry:
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Reg »

I wouldn't worry about it too much, you be up there again soon enough
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Tyler »

Trendsetters wrote:I wouldn't worry about it too much, you be up there again soon enough
I envy the teams who knew they'd be out of contention from the beginning - slipping from contender to mediocrity is quite humbling. :oops:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by John »

Tell me about it! :-P

Return to “League News and Articles”