CL Shepherd Signs Extension

Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

CL Shepherd Signs Extension

#1 Post by Apollos »

Crystal Lake, IL - Earlier in the season, General Manager Dean Giesey indicated that it was his and his staff’s desired goal to re-sign key players before they head into free agency. Last night, Mark Shepherd agreed to a three year, $7.2 million dollar extension, leaving only Bryan Stewart as the sole remaining pitcher as yet unsigned.

“We put this staff together and now are intent on keeping it together. We believe it is the reason for our current success and by keeping our staff together, we will be competitive for several years to come,” said CL manager Wayne Kedsch.

“Mark is part of the success of this club, present and future. We are very excited to get this deal done,” said GM Dean Giesey. “We met with Mark and his family and ironed out our differences. The contract is good for Mark and his family and it is good for the Gnats.”

“I was little worried when my name popped up in trade rumors,” said Shepherd. “Crystal Lake has been great. I get along well with the other players and we compete with each other in a friendly way and are supportive and helpful with one another. I couldn’t ask for a better coach then José García. He’s more like a father or an uncle then my coach. I was having some trouble with my splitter and José noticed a technical flaw and helped me with my release point. I could not be happier for my family or me. Next we need to win a pennant!”

Shepherd has a fastball/splitter combination and can reach 95 MPH. His record is 4-4 with 6 saves. His ERA is currently 1.58. He has allowed 40 hits over 63 innings of work, striking out 70 while walking only 17. Shepherd is currently the left-handed setup man to closer Ángel Chacón.

Return to “League News and Articles”