Breaking Codgers News: Closer Goode to Join Rotation

Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Breaking Codgers News: Closer Goode to Join Rotation

#1 Post by Denny »

By Granville Price, Palm Springs Semaphore
June 8, 2007

In a surprising move, the Codgers today announced that Ron Goode, heretofore the team's closer, will move into the starting rotation, taking over as the fifth starter from Harry Sullivan.

"We want our best guys to pitch as much as possible, so we were thinking of how to get Ron more innings, and this seemed like the best way to do it," said manager Sergio Sandoval. "Ron was the one who actually came up with the idea."

"I haven't pitched as a starter since I was with Quezon City in the old Philippine League--like, ten years ago," laughed Goode. "I'm really excited to show the team what I can do."

"We need to get him stretched out a bit, but Ron's got the endurance to be a starter, which is unusual for a closer in this league," said general manager Denny Hills. "We think his fireball"--Goode's fastball is clocked at anywhere from 94 to 96 miles per hour--"will be a nice counterpoint to the rest of our slower control-with-movement guys."

Stepping into Goode's old shoes as closer will be Bryan Langlois, previously the team's setup man.

"That's the other nice thing about this," Hills continued. "We think the Langer has definite closer potential, and this is a chance to prove it."

The only one not publicly pleased with the change is Harry Sullivan, bumped from the rotation to the bullpen.

"Sully's obviously disappointed, but he is a team player," said Sandoval. "He do whatever it takes to help this club win. And the bullpen will be a good place for him to learn and develop."

Hills downplayed the suggestion that this was a panic move in response to Goode's second blown save in the space of a week. "You guys always read the worst into everything," he said. "That constant negativity must eat away at your souls."

"I'm really excited about this. In some ways it's like a whole new season has started."
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Tyler »

I think Goode will do a good job in your rotation - his peripherals would indicate far more success than he's been having. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out, but I think you'll be pleased.

But what do I care? I'm in the IL. :grin:
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Denny »

Well, seeing as Goode was the ONLY FREAKING PITCHER to win a game for me last sim, the experiment is going okay so far. Apparently I just need a duplicator, so I can get four copies of him made to replace the rest of my worthless rotation! :-?
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Reg »

Codgers wrote:"You guys always read the worst into everything," he said. "That constant negativity must eat away at your souls."
Codgers wrote:Well, seeing as Goode was the ONLY FREAKING PITCHER to win a game for me last sim, the experiment is going okay so far. Apparently I just need a duplicator, so I can get four copies of him made to replace the rest of my worthless rotation! :-?
hmmm...does anybody see the pot calling the kettle black??? :lol:
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)

Return to “League News and Articles”