The Civ V expansion nears - time to jump back in?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Jim

Re: The Civ V expansion nears - time to jump back in?

#181 Post by Jim »

It's looking like I should be able to make our session tonight!
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#182 Post by Hitmen »

I must have misplaced the image I took last night of our Civ game, but we started fresh, with a 4 of us vs. 4 AI on king setting. Trying out I believe the frontier map? Or one of those super continent maps and it started off nice and slow. Tom and I are in the west, Bill further in the east, and Jim conveniently in the middle. Jim and Bill have America sandwiched between them and Bill was in the process of starting to take them out before we ended. Hopefully through this Bill will pick up some much needed cities.

The civs are:
ImageImage
Mike - Sweden (Gustavus Adolphus)
ImageImage
Jim - India (Gandhi)
ImageImage
Bill- Russia (Catherine)
ImageImage
Tom - Maya (Pacal)

Damn images came out so huge... sorry...

And we are versing:
America
France
Spain
Austria

Hopefully will have a more in depth look next time when I remember to properly save the images. But so far so good as it is nice to work together for a change rather than expecting everyone to back stab you at one point or another when it is a free for all. We will see if the size of the map will give us issues later in the game. As it is still early with not much going on, everything has been fairly stable for now.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#183 Post by John »

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this game! ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#184 Post by Apollos »

Good stuff, Mike. Still wish I could join you guys :,-( Will be interested to hear how a team game like this turns out since I've never played one.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Jim

#185 Post by Jim »

I wouldn't mind watching the real-life baseball drama unfold instead of our regularly schedule session Wednesday night. But if the three of you still want to play on, I will likewise.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#186 Post by Bill »

I'm good either way for tonight...

As I was thinking about this. I just remembered that I can't make Friday. Sorry, I forgot I had alternate plans. Again, if another person wants to step in and play for an evening that would be fine with me.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#187 Post by Hitmen »

I am good to play tonight, probably more so now that we will miss Friday unless we get a stand in. I've been saving up all the pcitures of our play will probably get a post out after this next game then since we will have more time off.

Also I was curious if anyone out there was still interested in playing Civ with us, but has not yet taken the leap and purchased the game. We are always looking for more!
Michael Czosnyka

Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#188 Post by Tyler »

Hitmen wrote:Also I was curious if anyone out there was still interested in playing Civ with us, but has not yet taken the leap and purchased the game. We are always looking for more!
Tell me when there's another sale. :,-(
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#189 Post by Mike Dunn »

Anyone who pre-orders XCOM gets Civ V for free by the way. Which means there will be a bunch of copies of the base game floating around. Problem is, the PEBA game is with the expansion.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#190 Post by Hitmen »

Ghosts wrote:Anyone who pre-orders XCOM gets Civ V for free by the way. Which means there will be a bunch of copies of the base game floating around. Problem is, the PEBA game is with the expansion.
I see some people are paying attention ;) While it will not get people the expansion, it will help to get some people started and into the game. Maybe to the point of considering buying the expansion ;-D
Michael Czosnyka

Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#191 Post by Bill »

Ghosts wrote:Anyone who pre-orders XCOM gets Civ V for free by the way. Which means there will be a bunch of copies of the base game floating around.
Yep. Unfortunately, I have to buy the console version, so I won't have an extra copy to give out.
Jim

#192 Post by Jim »

Hitmen wrote:I was curious if anyone out there was still interested in playing Civ with us, but has not yet taken the leap and purchased the game. We are always looking for more!
The mode we are playing is all humans as a team versus the computer automated AI players. This is a great opportunity to learn to play multi-player. The other humans can protect you if necessary and also mentor along the way.

As far as Friday, the Cardinals are playing their wild card play-in game. I will be glued to the television and totally ignore Civ V.

So, I guess I'd rather go forward with playing tonight and skipping Friday if that makes sense. If no one tells me game results during our Civ session tonight, I can watch recordings of Wednesday's games after they have completed in real life.
Jim

#193 Post by Jim »

I just realized that I totally forgot about our Civ session tonight. Hopefully you guys finished the game with an AI playing my civ.

Sorry. I needed to help take my son's car to the shop, my step-son's car broke down at work, and my wife needed help getting to a wedding. All I was focused on was getting that stuff taken care of in time to watch game 5 of the NLDS with my Cardinals. I completely forgot about Civ.

My apologies.
Jim

#194 Post by Jim »

I won't be able to make tomorrow night's session as I will be visiting my wife in the hospital.

I am really a minor player in the current game. I don't mind if you use the AI for my civ to finish out the game.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#195 Post by Tyler »

Just wanted to post that I'll be joining these sessions as soon as the expansions go on sale and I can pick them up - I played multiplayer with just the base with a few friends last weekend and it was great fun.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”