The Civ V expansion nears - time to jump back in?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: The Civ V expansion nears - time to jump back in?

#166 Post by Bill »

Jim and I have found Civ 5 to be pretty taxing on resources. Civ definitely makes my computer work the hardest of the few games I play (for example, I would expect Skyrim to be worse, but it isn't). Sorry you could make it.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#167 Post by Hitmen »

Sandgnats wrote:My apologies again to the group for the cpu issues I was having, and the resulting delays. After the third crash, I just gave up. Apparently I'm going to need to purchase a new cpu if I want to feed my habit right now. I'd been having issues with Civ 5, but it was always later in the game when using single player. My first attempt at multiplayer was a total wash :(
No worries Brian. Like I said last night, we would much rather take the time and try to figure it out and gain a player than not gain one. If your lap top is truely over heating though as you mentioned because of the game, I am not sure what can be done other than getting something new to play on.

We did end up starting a game last night with the four regular players. We changed things up and are playing 2 teams, with three members each on continents. It is Jim, an AI, and I versus Tom, Bill, and an AI. So far its been interesting as we found out who is where and started to spread out a bit. My guess is war is inevitable but so far other than a small skirmish, things have been calm!
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#168 Post by Coqui »

[several, too lazy to link all]
D'oh! Sorry guys, for being absent and not responding to pleas to join in as a fill-in. I was out of town on business Friday, and at a play Wednesday, and so I wouldn't have been able to fill-in anyway. Please do me a favor, and the next time you need a fill-in, please PM me and I will respond. I always check PM's, less so the boards (except when MLB trivia is going on).

I will admit, however, some trepidation about the reported problems that some have been having. . . I have a relatively old computer and it runs Civ V annoyingly slowly. Can you play multi-player in that odd-looking "dot" mode (i.e. no or low graphics). If so, does that help? FWIW, thank you all for introducing me back to the franchise. I am hooked, and have introduced the game to my 12yo son, who loves it as well.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#169 Post by Bill »

yes, you can play multiplayer in the super low res view
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#170 Post by John »

Warriors wrote:yes, you can play multiplayer in the super low res view
I'll second this. Actually, in some ways, the game is easier to play in the low-res, hexagonal view mode. You can see more of the surroundings, and multiple overlays are provided to highlight where critical resources are located. Your aged computer shouldn't be an issue, James.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Jim

#171 Post by Jim »

Sandgnats wrote:My first attempt at multiplayer was a total wash :(
I'm sorry you missed out Brian. I was looking forward to having you in our Civ players group. Hopefully an equipment upgrade or other resolution is in the near future.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#172 Post by Bill »

Just as a heads up, I found out I have family obligations this Friday and can't play (in-laws again... :shake: ). Anyone want to step in for a session?

I can play on Wednesday though!
Jim

#173 Post by Jim »

I'm assuming that we aren't playing this evening due to lack of regulars. If my assumption is wrong, please inform me before starting time :)
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#174 Post by Hitmen »

Jim we will hold off to start the 4v4 game till next week. Bill had a prior engagement tonight that will keep him away and the game ended quicker than we thought on Wednesday a Bill stormed my main base with both of us forgetting that the game would end immediately if he took it.
Michael Czosnyka

Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#175 Post by Bill »

Yeah, I completely forgot that the game ends when all capitals are taken. His capital was really the only city I could get to efficiently with all that jungle in the middle. I had briefly thought about retaking the Huns capital, but decided to use it as a decoy instead. I found it totally ironic that Tom completely ate the whole other island by himself and I ended the game with one little 5 turn bum rush to the capital after sitting on my hands most of the game... :lol:

Looking forward to playing cooperatively next time. I was thinking of ideas on how to stack the deck against us. Obviously a harder level would be warranted. Maybe we should do like 4x6 or 4x8? Would it help if we gave the AI the more hostile civs or even just the better civs on purpose?

Just thinking out loud...
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#176 Post by Hitmen »

Hmm, well if we increased the number of computers I recommend not cranking up the difficulty as much. If we go less enemies we can go higher difficulty as they get enough advantages when we crank it up already anyway. I am good with either option, more with maybe stacked civs at a more manageable difficulty, or less enemies at a much higher difficulty hoping that we can over power them. Either way we run the risk of there being a lot more units on the field against us with us potentially being spread out. At least we get the wonder sharing and tech sharing ;-D But by all means I would prefer this to be a challenge rather than a cake walk.
Michael Czosnyka

Jim

#177 Post by Jim »

Hitmen wrote:I would prefer this to be a challenge rather than a cake walk.
+1

The other option we might consider is teaming up against strangers (general public). We wouldn't know if we were weaker or stronger until we got into things. Depending on how that went, we could adjust the number of random public challengers. I guess the problem there would be getting them to return the following session. Drat! I thought I had a good idea :(

EDIT: On second thought, we could have different strangers fill in on subsequent sessions.

I would much rather face a human than the AI. I can play solo games on my own against the AI all day long.
Jim

#178 Post by Jim »

Hey guys, I probably won't be able to make it tonight. I won't know until the last minute. I'm thinking it's best to just cancel and meet up on Friday.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#179 Post by Hitmen »

Thanks for the warning Jim. Keep us posted! ;-D
Michael Czosnyka

Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#180 Post by Bill »

I'm OK with deciding at the last minute. It won't really change my plans at all. I'll just play something else instead.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”