The 2013 Cleveland Indians thread

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: The 2013 Cleveland Indians thread

#16 Post by Bill »

Kazmir is the one I have really been impressed with. I watched his start against A's and he looked really good, particularly his velocity. Granted, I didn't even know who the last 4 guys in the A's lineup were, but any success he provides is a bonus.

Truthfully, all the pitching has looked good the last three weeks. A little surprising from where we were a month ago.

I won't make any great Ubaldo comments. He is still high risk high reward, much like the-pitcher-formerly-known-as-Fausto. When the movement is right and the fastball hits spots, he's good. When the movement is wrong and he can't command the fastball, it is a long day. Right now, I'll just keep hoping for the former.
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Mike Dunn »

I was thinking about this yesterday: Terry Francona really seems to have made a difference. I have long felt the affect of managers is vastly overrated, though usually it is they do more harm than good (see: Bobby Valentine, Charlie Manuel) what do other Indians-watchers here think? Tito for AL Manager of the Year?
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by Bill »

Ghosts wrote:Tito for AL Manager of the Year?
I agree that he seems to have made a difference. I think Swish has made a difference too. That said, we need to finish the deal before talking about Mgr of the Year. Manny Acta was 30-15 at this point one year; that didn't work out so well.

Mark Reynolds has been the biggest surprise for me. He has a much better approach with 2 strikes than I expected. He goes the other way when the count isn't in his favor, but still almost hits the scoreboard when he gets the right pitch. Maybe that's the Tito effect.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#19 Post by John »

I have to give Ryan of Let's Go Tribe credit: his recap perfectly captures the essence of one of the most improbable games you'll ever witness. Lots of people are asking if it's time to believe. Right now, I'm not worrying about belief; I'm just marveling at that amazing win probability graph, which perfectly mirrors my heartbeat while watching events unfold.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Paul Moots

#20 Post by Paul Moots »

John wrote:I have to give Ryan of Let's Go Tribe credit: his recap perfectly captures the essence of one of the most improbable games you'll ever witness. Lots of people are asking if it's time to believe. Right now, I'm not worrying about belief; I'm just marveling at that amazing win probability graph, which perfectly mirrors my heartbeat while watching events unfold.
Good set of articles for us to ponder, John. I don't think I'm quite ready to believe - for one thing the curse of the Mike and Mike visit looms. But I have to admit that the walk-off wins and the penchant for scoring with 2 outs does give this team a bit of the 90s Indians feel. Masterson has been consistency itself, and Ubaldo seems to have been helped by the new manager/pitching coach combo - he may be a true 2nd or 3rd starter even if he doesn't regain his full form. Let's see where we are at All-Star break, but for now they are a hoot to watch again. Swisher and the all center field OF have added some spark. Even Santana looks like he wants to catch instead of DH. Come on Tribe!

Edit: Just caught this from the Tribe e-mail about the upcoming series w/Detroit. Check out the 2nd sentence!

"The Tribe will square off against Detroit's former MVP and Cy Young award-winner Justin Verlander on Wednesday, May 22nd. The Indians are 7-1 this season against former Cy Young Award-winners and already defeated Verlander earlier this month."

7-1 against former Cy Young winners? Would you have believed that stat before the season started?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#21 Post by John »

The Indians have hit a rough patch, but minor league starting pitching prospect Trevor Bauer hasn't given up the faith, and he's bustin' rhymes to prove it. 8)

In all seriousness, I know Bauer is going to get creamed for this in our quick-to-mock world, but I really don't have any beef with a guy enjoying harmless fun. Does he suck at rapping? Maybe. Maybe I suck at writing; that doesn't mean I can't enjoy trying my hand at it. So even though I tease him, I'm cool with Bauer's raps. I'll be even cooler with them if he blossoms into the type of pitcher the Indians believe he can become. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#22 Post by Ghosts »

First off, John, Trevor Bauer sucks a rapping. However, Trever Bauer is to rapping as John is to writing will never, ever be the correct answer on a SAT. (And, for the record, I'm with you ... I hope Bauer keeps at it for no other reason than the older I get the more I enjoy seeing people keep on doing something they obviously love).

But, back the matter at hand.

What is the deal with Corey Kluber.

I was absolutely sure he was a warm body. A Dave Mlicki. Maybe a Ryan Drese. A guy who would be up and down for a few years and than gone forever, to another team and a few more years of mediocre stats or out of baseball entirely.

But the more I dig into his stats, the more I like him. And in the last few starts - including two fantastic innings tonight - I've been extremely impressed. He seems more like a Josh Tomlin, but with an arm to match the approach.

And Fangraphs sure seems to love him.

His xFIP and K/BB ratio are both top 10 out of 158 starting pitchers. It hasn't translated to excellence in the form of wins and losses and ERA. Not yet. But it could.
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#23 Post by Bill »

I like that comparison. With added velocity, Kluber could do things that Tomlin could not, like get away with missing in the middle of the plate occasionally.

I would WAY rather watch someone with his approach than Ubaldos approach.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#24 Post by Ghosts »

Warriors wrote:I like that comparison. With added velocity, Kluber could do things that Tomlin could not, like get away with missing in the middle of the plate occasionally.

I would WAY rather watch someone with his approach than Ubaldos approach.
It's funny, the *one* SP who I don't try to catch is Ubaldo. About 22 months ago, it was the exact opposite and slowly but surely he's now the guy I can't stand watching.

Masterson, McAllister, Kluber, and Kazmir are all guys I like to see and (if I'm honest with myself about their abilities) are outstanding nos. 2-5 in the rotation. What this team is missing is that no. 1 guy. I don't see that on the horizon, but Bauer and Danny Salazar could both be that guy or round out an excellent rotation regardless.

I am not sure the Tribe is going to get it done this year. But if Chiz gets his head screwed on straight and Gomes can keep things up, next year they should be even better.

The real question is what you do with Asdrubal. If you could flip him this year (I know, I know ... we're in the hunt) for a couple of elite AAA prospects, maybe an OF and a 1b, this year ... this team will be set up to make runs at the pennant in 2015 (when Lindor is our starting SS) and for awhile thereafter.

I really like the direction of things.
Dan Vail
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#25 Post by Ghosts »

And just like that, Ubaldo is making me look foolish.

Through 5 he's pitching a 1-hit (bunt), incredibly efficient gem.

But that's the thing about Ubaldo - I feel like he could become completely unglued at any point. Anyone else and I'd expect 3 more strong innings. But it's Ubaldo, so the Rays could score 7 in the 6th.
Dan Vail
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#26 Post by John »

I am cautiously optimistic on Jimenez, within reason. He's still sporting an ugly ERA, but much of that is due to a catastrophic start to the season that placed him behind a serious 8-ball. He really has been surprisingly reliable recently. If you take away one terrible outing against Detroit (who sport a killer lineup), he hasn't surrendered more than two runs in a game since April 21. Tempering my enthusiasm is his inconsistent control, which makes it difficult for him to work deep into games (today was obviously an exception). He's no thing of beauty out there on the mound, and I'm with you, Jon: I'd rather watch the efficient Kluber throw. But at least we can say that Jimenez is currently far from the lodestone on the rotation than he has been in the past.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#27 Post by Bill »

Bears wrote:And just like that, Ubaldo is making me look foolish.

Through 5 he's pitching a 1-hit (bunt), incredibly efficient gem.

But that's the thing about Ubaldo - I feel like he could become completely unglued at any point. Anyone else and I'd expect 3 more strong innings. But it's Ubaldo, so the Rays could score 7 in the 6th.
Yes, I chuckled at the irony after flipping on the game and seeing Ubaldo making his warmup tosses after this conversation.

Can't complain about the results though. He threw strikes today. A rare feat for him.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#28 Post by Borealis »

I have to say I find this whole conversation mildly amusing, for we used to HATE seeing him on the mound for the Rockies - a Giants L was emminenent!! It's incredible how quickly he fell to earth upon the trade!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#29 Post by Zephyrs »

All the talking heads in Cleveland want to anoint Francona as the second coming. I like him as a manager and think it was a great hire for the front office. Still, we do need to look at what Acta did in his first half performances and remember that Wedge had nice seasons in 05 and 07. Lastly on the "this is all because of Tito" bandwagon, 13 of the players on the 25-man are new this season. If the Indians do well this year, maybe it is because of improved talent on the field, and not some 'miracle working manager'.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#30 Post by Zephyrs »

Are there any thoughts on Cleveland's 1st round pick? Everything I have read on Clint Frazier sounds great. I have read that he has insane bat speed and tremendous raw power.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”