Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2030, Season 24

Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2030, Season 24

#16 Post by Wind Dancers »

It’s the one time of the year where Toyama looks good, Spring. Despite a very small sample size, some of my recent signings and young prospects have actually been playing fairly well in the first week. I expect my bats to at least hold their own this season with Juarez, Salinas, and Gandarilla carrying the load. Pitching is still a bit of a mess but trading for Mito Nomura in the offseason should be a boost. The bulk of our prospect core should be on track to hit PEBA after this season is over. So it’s another year of biding our time in Toyama.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#17 Post by DrewV »

Kata Nakamura is one of my favorite players in PEBA. 40 years old, still slinging at 93, refuses to quit.
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#18 Post by Zephyrs »

I tried to demote pitcher Tony Valdés and it says he must remain on the active roster or IL all season. Is this a glitch? He was a Rule 5 selection in 2028 by West Virginia and traded to me last season. He has 3 option years. This doesn't seem right.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by Borealis »

Zephyrs wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:04 am I tried to demote pitcher Tony Valdés and it says he must remain on the active roster or IL all season. Is this a glitch? He was a Rule 5 selection in 2028 by West Virginia and traded to me last season. He has 3 option years. This doesn't seem right.
Hey Scott - To my understanding of the Rule 5, it seems you should be able to move him to AAA (I tried with my Rule 5 guy from last year, and he went easily), so I suspect it's a glitch - unless someone knows differently - maybe trading him 'reset his clock'. The unfortunate problem is there is no 'behind the curtain' action that can be taken when it comes to Rule 5 issues (hence our no draft lists), thus you're stuck with it as is - you can't even waive/DFA him. You could release him and work a trade with Palm Springs (maybe Denny would swing a $1 deal?). I wish there was more I could do here, but Rule 5 is one area Commish powers are lacking.

EDIT: And a quick look through the league, it looks like he may be the only player in this unique situation. I could not find a player listed as Rule 5 restricted who wasn't drafted this year... :shake:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#20 Post by Zephyrs »

Well that is a bummer.
Joined September 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#21 Post by Borealis »

Zephyrs wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:10 pm Well that is a bummer.
Yup... I'd get on the phone with the Old Codger...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#22 Post by Alleghenies »

It's because he was on 60 day dl half the year and doesn't earn time on MLB roster so he is still considered rule 5 pick.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#23 Post by Borealis »

Alleghenies wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:39 pm It's because he was on 60 day dl half the year and doesn't earn time on MLB roster so he is still considered rule 5 pick.
That makes sense - Thanks Greg!
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#24 Post by Zephyrs »

Alleghenies wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:39 pm It's because he was on 60 day dl half the year and doesn't earn time on MLB roster so he is still considered rule 5 pick.
He was apparently on the 60 Day Injury List prior to being traded to me. His only injury with the Zephyrs was for 2 week last season. He was injured for long periods before he was a Rule 5 draft pick.

Also, don't players earn roster time as far as arbitration and salary? He has 1 full season listed as Major League Service time for last season. If his time on the DL doesn't count, why is it listed as counting?
Joined September 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#25 Post by Borealis »

DL time counts, I believe, 60-Day time does not...
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#26 Post by Alleghenies »

Zephyrs wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:58 pm
He was apparently on the 60 Day Injury List prior to being traded to me. His only injury with the Zephyrs was for 2 week last season. He was injured for long periods before he was a Rule 5 draft pick.

Also, don't players earn roster time as far as arbitration and salary? He has 1 full season listed as Major League Service time for last season. If his time on the DL doesn't count, why is it listed as counting?
He was out until June when I drafted him or close to then.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Underground
Double-A
Double-A

#27 Post by Underground »

Off to a 9-4 start in spring training, pitching remains a strength (2.75 team ERA) including our new and improved bullpen. Batstone will be part of the opening day roster at age 21. #MontoyaWatch is in full force, and he currently sports a 0.00 ERA, 5K, 1BB with 4.7IP and has earned 2 saves. The offense is...still an area of improvement, but I anticipate it will improve a bit as I begin putting expected starters in the lineup instead of focusing on getting an eye on some young guys (my 3 worst Spring hitters thus far all have no shot at ML this year). It's worth noting as a team we're hitting at a .269 clip thus far which is not too bad for London. At this point I am not really anticipating any non-pitchers that weren't on the 27 man roster prior to spring training to make the team. Last years AA star power hitting Arturo Rodriguez is having a good spring, but having signed Murillo I am not really looking for a 3B, and I think he could benefit from a year in AAA, anyway.

If he continues to bat over .300 with power for the final week of spring, he may force my hand.
Evan Seary
London Underground
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#28 Post by Borealis »

Amongst the things the Borealis are looking forward to as Opening Day is but hours away, here are 3 top question:

- Is Stewart Arundale ready for Prime Time?
- Does Hector Prado have enough gas in his tank to play a satisfactory offensive role at 2B/1B?
- Will Richard Neely pitch like the Richard Neely in San Antonio, or will he pitch like the Richard Neely Aurora had post-deadline?
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#29 Post by Maulers »

Incredibly, the Maulers went 3-3 during the first week of the season. For perspective, I don't believe that the local 9 managed a .500 week of baseball last season until August.
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#30 Post by Leones »

The Maulers put up a good week. They could easily have gone 5-1. They definitely gave Havana a good run and the Leones were lucky to not get swept; their only win coming in a 10-8 contest. Nice to see them improving so quickly. ;-D
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”