Elder Scrolls Online

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

Elder Scrolls Online

#1 Post by Zephyrs »

Well, thanks in large part to John gifting me Oblivion on Steam, I have become a very big Skyrim fan. My son plays Skyrim on his computer and I play it on his discarded Xbox 360. I am on level 52 and have even purchased DLCs for my game. The hours I have spent on the game are embarrassing to admit but, it has provided me a ton of entertainment.

Now my son wants to purchase Elder Scrolls Online for his gaming computer. We have both done some research but are a little unclear on the specifics of the game. Are you only able to play after purchasing the game and paying a monthly subscription fee? The $60 to $80 for the game seems steep enough but adding $15 per month for the subscription fee seems unreasonable. Can you play without the subscription fee? Has anyone played the game? Is it worth the money? I am hoping we can get some info from sources I can trust (that means all of you :D ). Thanks in advance!
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

#2 Post by Reg »

Zephyrs wrote:Well, thanks in large part to John gifting me Oblivion on Steam, I have become a very big Skyrim fan. My son plays Skyrim on his computer and I play it on his discarded Xbox 360. I am on level 52 and have even purchased DLCs for my game. The hours I have spent on the game are embarrassing to admit but, it has provided me a ton of entertainment.

Now my son wants to purchase Elder Scrolls Online for his gaming computer. We have both done some research but are a little unclear on the specifics of the game. Are you only able to play after purchasing the game and paying a monthly subscription fee? The $60 to $80 for the game seems steep enough but adding $15 per month for the subscription fee seems unreasonable. Can you play without the subscription fee? Has anyone played the game? Is it worth the money? I am hoping we can get some info from sources I can trust (that means all of you :D ). Thanks in advance!
Elder Scrolls will have a monthly subscription at 14.99 after your initial "free" game time is used up (30 days)....I participated in one beta stress test and got to see a little bit of the game (mostly the tutorial) with limited character choices... it was early but the game played pretty much like Skyrim...the neatest part was the voice acting which included John Cleese as a crazy guy...

That being said there were many features that I did not get to test or weren't implemented yet...not planning on getting the game myself, mostly because I don't like the idea of paying a subscription every month, especially now that the majority of MMO have gone to an opt in method of paying micro transactions or monthly subscriptions...rather than forcing everyone to pay one flat rate....
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by Alleghenies »

This game has great potential. I would play it when it comes out, but the subscription fee is a HUGE turn off. I have a feeling they will take out the subscription from this game ala Star Wars MMO from few years ago. When that happens, I'll play this game in a heartbeat.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
richard_v
Double-A
Double-A

#4 Post by richard_v »

I am currently lvl 40 :) sorc w/ 2 pets and a bow

I beta tested for over a year and PTS tested for 6 months
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Bill »

I've never played any MMOs and can't really see me paying a monthly subscription fee. That said, part of me is tempted to give it a whirl as the Elder Scrolls were probably my favorite games ever. The other part of me knows I'd play 250 hours without blinking and will probably stay away to save me from myself.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”