Taste in Music

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Transmitters
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

Taste in Music

#1 Post by Transmitters »

So, out of curosity what type of music do y'all like? And I have recently been feeling like the only person in the world who appreciates the Blues, I have yet to see anyone listen to it other then myself. I just absolutely love the guitar's rift in combination with the distinct vocals.

Contrary to living in the great state of Texas, I absolutely abhor modern country. I enjoy 70's Outlaw Country or Bluegrass (Love the fiddles and banjo). I do enjoy rap, by rap I mean rappers who have meaning such as Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Andre 3000, Odd Future, ect. Of course my all time favorite genre is southern rock, bands like the Eagles where you get the best of rock (My favorite broad genre) and you get a lil' twang attitude. I can not stand the more recent "Indie" rock, in my opinion it's absolutely terrible and I don't even consider it rock, give me bands like Nirvana, Yellowcard, Gin Blossoms, or Rise Against any day over that crap.

Now, what type of music do y'all prefer?
Jonas Pine,
2016 Hyakujuu GM,

2019- Kawaguchi GM
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Taste in Music

#2 Post by Zephyrs »

Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#3 Post by Coqui »

Transmitters wrote:Contrary to living in the great state of Texas, I absolutely abhor modern country. I enjoy 70's Outlaw Country or Bluegrass (Love the fiddles and banjo). . . .Of course my all time favorite genre is southern rock, bands like the Eagles where you get the best of rock (My favorite broad genre) and you get a lil' twang attitude.
There's an app a forum post for that.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Lions »

My musical tastes have been wandering a bit lately, but some bands I particularly enjoy are Over the Rhine, Coldplay, U2, Jack Johnson, The Helio Sequence, Poor Old Lu, David Crowder Band, and Pink Martini. I don't much care for anything too heavy or for country (sorry James) and don't really mind most mainstream pop music. I did enjoy The Civil Wars' Barton Hollow, although I'm not sure how country that really is. I get exposed to a lot of alternative here in the northwest, which I really enjoy in small doses but find a bit too brooding for regular consumption. Mostly, I want my music to lift my spirits and/or take me somewhere peaceful. Too much hectic and crazy in my life already.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Leones »

Musically I'm all over the map. Recent album purchases:

The Four Seasons: The Vivaldi Album - Anne Akiko Meyers

A brilliant artist and instrument feature in this recording:
"In January of 2013, Anne Akiko Meyers was awarded exclusive lifetime use of the legendary 1741 Vieuxtemps Guarneri del Gesu, which has been dubbed the Mona Lisa of violins. It is legendary for its peerless sound and near-pristine condition, and is believed to be the most expensive violin ever purchased.

The violin has been guarded for centuries, and has not been in the recording studio until now."

Insect Surfers - InfraGreen

These guys have been around for a long time. I just found them while searching out some new surf music. One of their band members also play for Calexico and I picked up some of their tunes as well.

Jumbie in the Jukebox - Kobo Town

I love socially aware music and this is some of the best calypso music I've heard in ages. Looking forward to more from this group.

A Different Kind Of Truth - Van Halen

Diamond Dave! Back where he belongs. 'Nuf said. :)
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#6 Post by Coqui »

Nutmeggers wrote:I don't much care for anything too heavy or for country (sorry James) and don't really mind most mainstream pop music. I did enjoy The Civil Wars' Barton Hollow, although I'm not sure how country that really is.
No worries.

I'm a fan of The Civil Wars, although not a hardcore one. I'd describe The Civil Wars as a mash-up of Bluegrass and Folk with some country influences, although their songs are diverse enough that some I would describe as pretty close to traditional bluegrass (20 Years), some as folk (The One That Got Away), and some as almost country (Poison and Wine). Dust to Dust is almost adult contemporary, IMHO. Their harmonies are beautiful.
James
GM San Juan Coqui

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”