Despite cold weather, Canton fans excited to get the season

Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

Despite cold weather, Canton fans excited to get the season

#1 Post by Coqui »

by Frank Terry, Canton Repository

3/30/2007: Canton, OH - Canton, Ohio: the name does not conjure images of beaches, bikini clad women and palm trees. Despite weather routinely in the 30's, Canton fans are coming out in semi-droves to watch the PEBA team get ready for the start of the season. I hit the streets in order to track down the source of the buzz. First off, I tried interviewing an intelligent looking lady in a fetching outfit.

FT: So, what has you most excited about the season?

Girl in Parka and Burkha: Sunshine?

FT: I mean the baseball season.

GPB: As do I. Why? Do we have a team now?

FT: Oh sod off.

After that miserable attempt at engaging that hideous wench in the outdated catastrophe of clothing, I heading for the ballpark to see what was happening. Upon arrival I was greeted by a salt truck heading in the opposite direction. It seems that Canton is not yet ready for the boys of summer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes from the team:

1b Juan Otero has been seen cavorting with Canton area beauties at the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Apparently the nightlife in town is something less than intriguing.

2b Manny Sanchez, responding to rumors he will be traded: "I don't care where I play, I will hit and field as well as I always have. Look, Canton drafted me because they know what I bring to the table." Sanchez apparently has not realized that "as well as I always have" is something less than a ringing endorsement of his "skills."
SP Norberto Lopez said of his Spring Training save, "I'm not going to lie, I wasn't expecting it. I was stunned that I stayed out there that long without allowing a run." Thanks Norberto, for being more honest than required.

Rumor has the Longshoremen looking to add players to a weak farm system. OF's Danny and Remi Young are both said to be available for trade in the right circumstance. Mrs. Young could not be reached for comment on the news that both of her sons were being shopped like Wal-Mart.

That same farm system has GM Brad Dobney scouring the free agent market for any sort of help. "Look, I'm not too proud. I'll take a 26 year old second baseman, a 17 year old catcher with bad knees, a starting pitcher with elbow troubles... we need some help. Middle Bass is a great place to play A ball. Lake Erie is great and as soon as the ice is off we will get some play going out there."

Return to “League News and Articles”