Miguel Tejada 105 game suspension

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Steel Dragons

Miguel Tejada 105 game suspension

#1 Post by Steel Dragons »

Now all they are saying is he popped for amphetamines and that he might consider retirement because of his age (39)
The amount of games is because this is his second offense. I have had a question in the back of my head and wanted to see what you guys thought.

Players where are caught cheating or pop on drugs tests, should they lose any wards that have been given out to them? This man was an MVP back in 2002 and has popped 2 times for use of banned substance. Should we start stripping them of awards given to them? Ryan Braun was given MVP when he popped on a test and that award should go to the person who was 2nd in votes. I am sick of seeing these over paid athletes cheat and still hold onto awards and such. I know in NCAA they strip awards, should pro sports start doing the same?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Miguel Tejada 105 game suspension

#2 Post by John »

It's a good question about stripping awards. I should preface my thoughts by saying that I never really get worked up about awards under any circumstances, so I'm probably not the best one to ask.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing those who are proven guilty of using steroids at the time that they won an award have that award stripped from them. Realistically, I realize this is never going to happen. It would be a logistical nightmare. How do you determine who to give the award to? Do you hold a whole new vote? Of course, you'd have to negotiate all this with the Players' Union, and you can be sure they're not going to go for it. Finally, there is no incentive for baseball to do it; they'd just be further running their name into the muck. So while I like the idea of stripping a PED user of his ill-gotten awards, I don't think we'll see that happening.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by roncollins »

I think a bigger impact to the stats inflation of the 90s/2000s is that the strike zone had shrunk to the size of a peanut.Ever since the strike zone has grown back to a semi-reasonable size, the game has swung back toward the pitcher.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Borealis »

I tend to look at this as a minor deal - ball players have been taking 'greenies' for generations - it's like having three cups of coffee with our the peeing I guess. I kind of look at baseball throwing amphetamines into the drug policy, along with the more traditional PEDs is kind of like the Regan zero tolerance policy of the 80's. Frankly, watching Polanco taking one off the noggin last night, I can certainly appreciate players looking for an aide in staying alert!!

Sure, there certainly must be some health issues associated with them, but I compare them to Steroids like one might compare weed to LSD or PCP - I just have a hard time getting fired up over baseballs righteousness over 'greenies'.

As for taking back awards - you just can't quantify the difference it made for a player. Maybe Bonds hits 58 HRs that 'magical' season. He'd still be MVP... There is no real way of determining the true effects of the drug. History is littered by 'one hit wonder' seasons.

I think Ron makes a good point - and a player like Bonds, who had such a great eye at the plate to begin with, would end up swinging at nothing but great pitches to hit...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Zephyrs »

Is Aderall really on the same level as steroids?
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”