What's next after Civ V for the PEBA gaming group?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!

What should be the PEBA gaming group's fallback game?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Diablo II
38%
Europa Universalis III
13%
Magicka
38%
Sins of a Solar Empire: Redemption
13%

Total votes: 8

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's next after Civ V for the PEBA gaming group?

#1 Post by John »

I've already floated two possibilities as Next Big Thing for the PEBA gaming group: Diablo III and Guild Wars 2. Both are AAA games, both are multiplayer-focused and both should work pretty well with our group's stated interests. The problem is that both are a long ways from release. That leaves us with Civ V for the moment, and there's nothing wrong with that, yet I think we can all agree that Civ V's tech issues are serious enough to warrant consideration of a fallback game in case we just can't put up with Civ's herky-jerky nature anymore. I've been looking into alternate possibilities and have found two that look potentially interesting:
  • Sins of a Solar Empire: Redemption - This stand-alone expansion to Sins of a Solar Empire was just announced today. I've had a chance to play SoaSE and I can vouch for the game's quality. On the one hand, it's a Real-Time Strategy (RTS) game, and I know several of our group's members have mentioned they prefer slower paced games (I then to prefer them, as well). However, SoaSE isn't particularly frantic like most RTSs. It's much more like a standard 4x strategy game (e.g. Civilization) that you happen to control in real time. I'd say that if there was a RTS that was appropriate for our group, SoaSE would be it. It helps that SoaSE has been around for several years now, meaning that a top-of-the-line PC is not necessarily required to run it. Basically, if you can run Civ V, you can run SoaSE. The new Redemption stand-alone expansion adds a number of new features and updates to the SoaSE engine. It should be released this spring.
  • Magicka - Magicka was released in late January and became an instant smash hit for start-up developer Arrowhead Studios. Part of that surely has to do with the price point - the game costs just $10 - but the reviews of the gameplay have been fantastic and Arrowhead has been supporting the game like crazy since release. As far as our gaming group goes, Magicka is an interesting option. I've mentioned Diablo III as a future gaming consideration. Magicka is very much in the Diablo III mode of point-and-click action, so you could view it as good practice for that game. Of course, point-and-click action games are by nature faster paced than 4x strategy games. This would be an adjustment for us. Another issue is that only four players can play Magicka together. I don't necessarily think that's a problem, though. I see Magicka as a fallback option on nights when a member can't attend a Civ V session. Normally we're shut down in those situations. Magicka would allow us to keep playing that night (four of us, at least - I'd be happy to be the odd man out). I also like that it's co-op, a change of pace from Civ V. Finally, the low system requirements again ensure that any of us can play, even with modest PCs. Magicka is out now, and a wild spin-off called Magicka: Vietnam (no, I'm not joking) has just been announced.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: What's next after Civ V for the PEBA gaming group?

#2 Post by Hitmen »

I have yet to try Magicka but I won't lie when I say that it does look very intriguing. I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl as it does look fun. I also just recently saw that Vietnam version video, was hilarious.

This also reminds me a bit of Alien Swarm with the whole pointing a clicking. I would be all for just some mindless shooting and killing stuff on nights we can't get everyone together for Civ 5.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Mike Branda

#3 Post by Mike Branda »

I will be getting both diablo 3 and guild wars 2

Shame we all did not have Halo 3 :P
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Bill »

I like the idea of a more cooperative game where we set out as a party. Of course, the last game I probably played like that was Baldur's Gate on PS2 :geek:

Is there any reason, besides the fact that it is 10yrs old, that we couldn't play Diablo II?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by John »

Warriors wrote:Is there any reason, besides the fact that it is 10yrs old, that we couldn't play Diablo II?
Not at all. That idea did occur to me. I gravitated towards Magicka because I thought it looked like a fresh take on the Diablo style of play. Plus it has the advantage of a more advanced engine and refined game mechanics (since it's building on what came before. Still, there's nothing saying we can't go straight to the source. :D

Diablo II has the same 4-player limitation as Magicka, but again, I see this less as a Civ V replacement and more as a fallback position on nights when we're undermanned and can't play Civ V, so the 4-player restriction isn't necessarily a game-breaker. That said, SoaSE would allow all of us to play together, so that's a little point in its favor. Up to 10 players can play SoaSE online, so we could even add to the group if we chose that path.

If I knew the group wanted to play one of these games, I'd happily plunk down the cash for a copy. I've really come to enjoy our sessions. What I'm finding is that playing with you guys is more important to me than what I'm playing. I pretty much share the group's slower paced tastes, but I think I could play with this group and have fun with anything.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to find the very best fit for us, of course. The three games being discussed here each seem like potential winners to me, but if you see one as being a standout - or if you have your own suggestion - let us know. And none of this is to say that Civ V is going away. I'm interested to see what the latest patch has done for gameplay. Perhaps turns will be smoother, which would definitely improve the experience.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Mike Dunn »

Torchlight?

---------------------

On a related note (and sorry to derail thread), my RL precludes time-specific gaming nights. I am, though, very interested in some sort of play-by-email turn based strategy, something in which we could get through several moves a week at least.

I have Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, which I believe has PBEM. I have EU3, but not sure that has PBEM. I have Civ IV (not V though) which I believe has PBEM and never really got into it, but I'd be willing to try. I also might be interested in trying the Fall from Heaven fantasy mod for it. I also have Armageddon Empires, not sure if that has PBEM.

If anyone is interested in one of these or another PBEM strategy game, shoot me a PM, thanks.
------------------------

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Ghosts wrote:Torchlight?
I gave Torchlight a whirl and liked it as a Diablo-lite experience. Unfortunately, Torchlight doesn't feature multiplayer. Torchlight II will have multiplayer, but that won't be out until July.
Ghosts wrote:On a related note (and sorry to derail thread), my RL precludes time-specific gaming nights. I am, though, very interested in some sort of play-by-email turn based strategy, something in which we could get through several moves a week at least.
Play-By-EMail (PBEM) is definitely a game style worth discussing. PBEM would not take the place of our Monday/Thursday gaming sessions; rather, it would be a totally separate opportunity for interested league members to game together. If you prefer more direct involvement, our bi-weekly gaming group is the way to go. If you're short on time but still want to play with other PEBA members, PBEM is the perfect option. Of course, there's nothing saying you can't do both. :grin:

If one of you is really interested in starting up a PBEM game, may I suggest that you start up a separate thread here in the off-topic forum to pitch your idea and recruit members? We'll keep this thread for discussion of the weekly gaming group, but I like the idea of trying to set up a separate PBEM group and I want people to have a chance to look into that. Consider what game(s) would work well for this kind of endeavor and then discuss your options in a thread focused on the PBEM style of play.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Lions »

It's not really a computer game, per se, but I would be all for an email Diplomacy game.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Bill »

Nutmeggers wrote:It's not really a computer game, per se, but I would be all for an email Diplomacy game.
There is a web-based Diplomacy version that simulates an email version. You can set a timer so that everybody takes one turn per day or one turn every couple days. I played it once. I'll have to find the link.
Mike Branda

Re: The PEBA PBEM thread

#10 Post by Mike Branda »

awesome video covering the Thief in GW2

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153403p1.html
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by John »

Alright, time to take the next step. Let's round up an official list of games that you guys would like to consider for serving as our official PEBA Civ V gaming group fallback plan. This isn't a vote yet; we're just gathering our official options. So far, I see four candidates receiving support:
In addition to these four games, are there any others that you would like to be considered? If so, speak up now! We'll move to the voting stage tomorrow night.

NOTE: Unlike the PEBA PBEM initiative, which looks to be a go as soon as a game is settled on, we're just speculating on a possible gaming fallback here. Our group will continue to play Civ V for the time being. Only when we decide as a group that a.) we are tired of Civ V, or b.) we'd like to have an alternate game on hand for nights when we can't play Civ V, will we act on any vote made here.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Jim

#12 Post by Jim »

How about Europa Universalis III

There is a multi-player forum here.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by John »

Cliff Hangers wrote:How about Europa Universalis III

There is a multi-player forum here.
Added to the list!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by John »

A poll has been added to this thread.

If you would like to be a part of the PEBA gaming group, please let us know your game preference!

Your four choices again are:
We'll run the poll through next week. I'll help coordinate the start-up once a decision has been reached. Feel free to lobby for your personal preference. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Lions »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:Diablo II has the same 4-player limitation
I have voted, but just as clarification, I'm pretty sure you can play with up to 8 players in a game in Diablo II.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”