Coal Bin: Cox’s Apologies Continue

Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Coal Bin: Cox’s Apologies Continue

#1 Post by Tyler »

by Patrick Bailey, Charleston Gazette

This week features the debut of two new sections of the Coal Bin: the Game of the Week and Looking Ahead.

Somebody needs to buy Anthony Cox a thesaurus.

“It’s starting to feel like it’s the only word I know,” Cox said with a wry smile. I was lucky enough to get an interview with Cox this week – lucky not because Cox won’t talk to the press, but lucky because Cox is still willing to talk about his comments from last week.

After the eighth of what would become eleven consecutive losses, Cox expressed his frustration with the team’s season to the media. The quote that made headlines the next day was one buried in the middle of his comments: “It’s tough to go out there every fifth day when you know [the organization] has given up on the team. They’ve said “[forget] this year” and it’s hard to play when you know that’s what everyone is thinking.”

“Once again,” Cox said, the words flowing out smoothly after countless repetitions, “I did not mean to disparage this organization. West Virginia is a top-notch place to play and I have every bit of respect for this organization and the people running it. Unfortunately we haven’t played as well this year as some, myself included, would have liked. The losing streak was hard on everyone and I was upset after my start. I’ve spoken with Zam [manager Armando Zamora] and apologized to him profusely, and he accepted. We all know where we stand and I look forward to going on a tear in September with this club.”

I asked Cox if he wanted to add anything to his comments to make this interview different from the rest he’s given in the past few days.

“Sure,” he said with a grin. “I want to let Jon [Wood] know that his locker is missing.”

Center of Attention: Who’s the center fielder for the month of September? “Whichever one of these guys shows me they can handle it,” Zamora declared. When Ki-Tong Pei was traded, Will Thomas’s knees were given a much-needed reprieve and he became the everyday right-fielder. That left a gaping hole in center, a hole which hasn’t found a plug.

Kenny Parker, acquired from the Calzones in the Pei deal, isn’t the organization’s concept of a center fielder. Or a baseball player, for that matter. On the year, Parker is hitting just .220/.282/.326. Unfortunately for the Coal Sox, Joseph Lane, who has been serving the club as the fourth outfielder, hasn’t risen up to claim the spot either. He’s hitting an equally horrid .205/.247/.281. Until one of them goes on a tear, involving perhaps hitting the baseball, they’ll continue to share playing time in center.

Minor Update: The Coal Sox could be going to the post-season. Twice.

Unfortunately, neither appearance will be by the big-league club.

The AAA Mansfield Mohicans are currently the Rocky Mountain League first wildcard team. That position is tenuous, though, as five teams are within five games of them.

“We will not be calling up any key players from the Mansfield club until the regular season, and hopefully post-season, is over,” said GM Tyler Babcock. “We may see some of the lesser players up in the bigs sooner if need some help.” The most likely candidates would be middle relievers Guillermo Lopez, demoted from West Virginia in July, and Jose Ferrer.

Up in Maine, the Lobsters have a three game lead in the New England division as the AA club enters its final week of play. Slugging first-baseman Marcus Roladan will not be present, though. It has already been announced that he has been promoted to Mansfield to help the AAA team with its playoff push.

Game of the Week: Sunday, August 26. WV 1, CON 0. Offense was scarce as both starters worked into the eighth inning. Hamilton Cole tossed eight frames, Phil Mathis picked up his sixteenth save, and Jon Wood scored the run that would prove to be the difference in the game.

Looking Ahead: The Coal Sox travel to Manchester for a three game series before coming home to face the best team in PEBA, the Hitmen.

September 1 @ Manchester: Cox (5-8) vs. Javier Reyes (1-5)
September 2 @ Manchester: Bagg (4-5) vs. Millard Watkins (0-2)
September 3 @ Manchester: Reed (8-10) vs. Kirby Gibson (13-6)
September 5 New Jersey: Semblano (10-8) vs. Luis Pena (12-6)
September 6 New Jersey: Cole (5-11) vs. Loren Mathis (11-2)
September 7 New Jersey: Cox (5-8) vs. Yukio Fujita (11-3)

Return to “League News and Articles”