Crystal Lake News Roundup

Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

Crystal Lake News Roundup

#1 Post by Apollos »

Crystal Lake's Griffin Out for Season

Sources told the Crystal Reporter that Arthur Griffin is expected to be out for the remainder of the season. He came down with the injury before the All-Star break. Griffin was having a solid campaign before his injuryThe Reporter said that Griffin will follow the Sandgnats' wishes and opt for surgery immediately to allow him time to rehab and prepare for next season.

Griffin has so far refused to comment about his tirade where he was said to have indicated that he was contemplating retirement. One source told the Gnats that Griffin was upset when he made the comment and was disappointed that he cannot help the team with their title run. Of course he will not retire. “'Griff' has been an asset to our team and we hope that he can return quickly,” said Gnats manager Wayne Kedsch.
Kentucky Trades Hernández to Crystal Lake for Paz, Leal, & Jones

“With Griffin out for the season we knew that we were going to have to make a move,” said GM Dean Giesey. “With us in a pennant race I didn’t want to add a second rookie to the bullpen. After talking to the coaches it was decided to look for a veteran.”

Hernández’s former manager had kind words for him. “Except for the one bad outing, he has been pretty effective for us,” said manager Rod Carver.

Martínez Misses Time with Day-to-Day Injury

The Martínez injury is really causing grief for the Sandgnats. “Martínez has been valuable as a swing man and we are anxious to get him back healthy. The pen has been one of our strengths and we already lost Griffin for the year. We were really holding our collective breaths,” said Sandgnats manager Wayne Kedsch. “I thought, ‘Oh no,’ as soon as he released the pitch. You could see he was in pain.” Martínez has been out about 2 weeks and is now listed day to day.

Crystal Lake Unable to Find the Right Deal

Sources told the Crystal Reporter that GM Dean Giesey has been looking for a left handed middle order power hitter. “Our pitching has been great. We would like to find the right deal to take some pressure off our pitchers.” The Gnats have been fortunate that young right fielder Coronado has blossomed and Márquez is past his injury and has started to pound the ball again. “We have had a number of overtures but they have not worked for us. As a middle market team we have to watch our budget. If the right deal comes along, we will find the money.”

Crystal Lake and Jackson Close

Sources told the Crystal Reporter that GM Dean Giesey is close to inking a deal with right hander Floyd Jackson.

Giesey has been working down the rotation, tying the starters to the Sandgnats through extensions. Recently Nelson Anderson came to terms, signing a 4 year, $62 million deal. Although a hard luck pitcher this year, Nelson has been a good signing and projects to 200 K’s with a low WHIP. He is 6-7 with a 3.58 ERA and a 116 Ks in 108 innings.

José Cruz also agreed to terms for 4 years and $37 million. Cruz is 8-2 with a 2.39 ERA. Martin Sparling signed earlier in the year. His contract was valued at $1.5 million over 3 years.

When asked about the Jackson deal, Giesey replied, “I like the lack of risk here; it's hard to find a starter with Floyd's upside.” When asked about the details of the contract he would only indicate that the issue was the number of years and not the money. Yes! If true, this can only be considered a win for the Gnats fans. I'm not saying he is going to be some awesome starter, or even be completely healthy... but he has only been getting stronger as the year has gone on, throwing 95 MPH with a strikeout per inning.

When completed, this will mean that the Gnats will have 4 of 5 of their starting rotation signed to long term deals. Only Bryan Stewart has, as of this writing, failed to sign or agree to an extension. Stewart is eligible for arbitration at year end and Giesey said that they have been talking. “We will get this one done too.”

Most of the relievers are already signed beyond 2007. With the rotation in place for next year, Giesey can turn his attention to the left handed power batted that has eluded him.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Duane »

Sure are a lot of sources. How many peeps are involved in following the CL activity?
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#3 Post by Apollos »

I stored it up and waited too long. Too much on my mind and too much work. I will try to parcel it out next time.

Return to “League News and Articles”