Neat stuff sim thread PEBA 2024 Season 18

roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Neat stuff sim thread PEBA 2024 Season 18

#46 Post by roncollins »

Longshoremen wrote:
Wind Dancers wrote:For me spring training is about getting young guys development time and getting old guys through without injury. Numbers don't matter.
I use it sometimes to determine position battles, but given small sample sizes, it's really not that reliable for that. I tend to doubt good performances more than bad performances in ST. Given the "tryout" nature that many teams tend to use in ST, you should do better, all else being equal, amirite?
Stats are extremely useful for us since our scouts are probably not accurate. However, stats are generally only valuable when you understand the environment they are made in. Spring training is a total crapshoot. For example, if your team played Toyama anytime in the first half of spring training, you were playing A ball and AA ball competition because I use the first two weeks of ST to get my kids extra experience. If you played us in the last two weeks, you were playing AAA-ML guys, with A/AA guys as backups. At no time did I play an entire quite of major leaguers full time...including in the rotation, where we had AAA Ken Thompson in there all the way to the end.

Other teams have different ideas on how they do things.

So stats created in ST are always interesting, and I have the same human interest in them. You need something to go on, so you go on what you see. But in reality, a hot or cold string in ST is often not particularly useful (except that maybe it's useful in that they give us something to self-justify our decisions on). :)

All that said, we should be locked a loaded for ST now...and don't be surprised to see us get out of the gates slow. My approach "seems" to be good for getting guys through ST healthy, but maybe doesn't kick the rust off as well as we might. Dunno.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Hall of Famer

#47 Post by Leones »

Wind Dancers wrote:...My approach "seems" to be good for getting guys through ST healthy, but maybe doesn't kick the rust off as well as we might. Dunno.
It feels like we didn't get the usual avalanche of injuries in Spring Training this year. In Havana we had not a single one.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#48 Post by Coqui »

Wind Dancers wrote:
Longshoremen wrote:
Wind Dancers wrote:For me spring training is about getting young guys development time and getting old guys through without injury. Numbers don't matter.
I use it sometimes to determine position battles, but given small sample sizes, it's really not that reliable for that. I tend to doubt good performances more than bad performances in ST. Given the "tryout" nature that many teams tend to use in ST, you should do better, all else being equal, amirite?
Stats are extremely useful for us since our scouts are probably not accurate. However, stats are generally only valuable when you understand the environment they are made in. Spring training is a total crapshoot. For example, if your team played Toyama anytime in the first half of spring training, you were playing A ball and AA ball competition because I use the first two weeks of ST to get my kids extra experience. If you played us in the last two weeks, you were playing AAA-ML guys, with A/AA guys as backups. At no time did I play an entire quite of major leaguers full time...including in the rotation, where we had AAA Ken Thompson in there all the way to the end.
Yeah, that is the reasoning behind my general rule.

Good stats in ST? Meh. You were playing against some indeterminate number of guys who won't be on a major league roster in a couple of weeks. Plus small sample size.

Bad stats in ST? Yeesh. You were playing against some indeterminate number of guys who won't be on a major league roster in a couple of weeks and you STILL couldn't get over the Mendoza line/get anyone out? Yeah, it's a small sample size, but, still. . .

James
GM San Juan Coqui
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#49 Post by Evas »

Leones wrote:
Wind Dancers wrote:...My approach "seems" to be good for getting guys through ST healthy, but maybe doesn't kick the rust off as well as we might. Dunno.
It feels like we didn't get the usual avalanche of injuries in Spring Training this year. In Havana we had not a single one.
They might just have been concentrated in SS...

-- Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:19 pm --

I just learned that I have been pronouncing my team's name wrong (in my head) the entire time.

I had be pronouncing it "shin sek-HIGH". I learned from a guy at a Japanese machinery company that it should be "shin psy-KEY".

I think I like the correct way better.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#50 Post by Leones »

Evas wrote: I just learned that I have been pronouncing my team's name wrong (in my head) the entire time.

I had be pronouncing it "shin sek-HIGH". I learned from a guy at a Japanese machinery company that it should be "shin psy-KEY".

I think I like the correct way better.

I had the same pronunciation as you did Kevin. The correct one sounds sharp! :)
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#51 Post by Borealis »

I've been calling it 'See-key'... 8-o
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#52 Post by Denny »

And I've always pronounced it "shin SEK-ky". :-S
Longshoremen wrote:Bad stats in ST? Yeesh. You were playing against some indeterminate number of guys who won't be on a major league roster in a couple of weeks and you STILL couldn't get over the Mendoza line/get anyone out? Yeah, it's a small sample size, but, still. . .
:text-yeahthat: I've always disregarded ST stats completely, but Canton's argument here may have some merit. :-?
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#53 Post by Borealis »

Boy, just catching on to the schedule - I knew we had large blocks of off-days, which I think provides some scheduling advantages - but only 150 games? Boo...

That Said - Play Ball!!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#54 Post by Evas »

Borealis wrote:...but only 150 games? Boo...
We have only 150 games? Where are you getting that?
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#55 Post by Borealis »

Evas wrote:
I was looking at the preseason predictions, and the predicted records are all 150 - which makes sense with multiple 4-off day stretches...
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#56 Post by Reg »

Borealis wrote:
Evas wrote:
I was looking at the preseason predictions, and the predicted records are all 150 - which makes sense with multiple 4-off day stretches...
I can explain this one. The regular season schedule was loaded up just 1 or 2 sims ago, but before it was ready, there was just a ~150ish game "placeholder" schedule in place. The pre-season predictions used that old schedule length.

Everyone is, in fact, playing 162 games this year!
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#57 Post by Evas »

Trendsetters wrote:Everyone is, in fact, playing 162 games this year!
I just counted and I have 162 games scheduled. Everything looks perfectly normal.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#58 Post by Borealis »

HOORAY!!!
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#59 Post by Sandgnats »

:clap:
Borealis wrote:HOORAY!!!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#60 Post by Reg »

It certainly didn't take long for the Caribbean rivalry to start between Havana and San Juan :grin:

5 innings into their opening day match-up, they cause a bench-clearing brawl. !+)

Puerto Rico Tourism must be loving that .. haha
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”