OOTP 17 Announcement

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

OOTP 17 Announcement

#1 Post by Apollos »

As I'm sure many of you saw in your inboxes this week, Markus and co have rolled out the announcement for OOTP 17. While I'm generally a fan of improving what ya' got before introducing new-fangled additions (i.e. revamped managers), I'm struggling to see what's actually new about OOTP17 from last year's game. Perhaps someone can shed some light as I know Bill and Cole are both indirectly (or directly) involved with the game at this point. I'm wondering if OOTP shouldn't start moving towards a yearly update model (or introducing DLC/expansions) versus introducing a brand new game every March/April for $40.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OOTP 17 Announcement

#2 Post by John »

There's a lot that's new in OOTP 17. Admittedly, some of the biggest ticket items - MLBPA licensing and historical exhibitions, for instance - won't impact the PEBA. But there's still plenty that will affect us, especially if you watch replays of your games. The Road To Release articles that will start coming out soon will have more details, but I can vouch that it's shaping up nicely.

Oh, and it's so much faster than before. Multi-core threading FTW!

As for changing the business model, I don't foresee that happening. Out of the Park Developments is a small, independent company that relies on the influx of sales from new versions each year to survive. Just one missed release would put them under. I expect them to keep releasing yearly new versions until Markus decides he's had enough and retires to spend his days in a German brauhaus. :)
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Bill »

Well, to some extent, once you get to the 17th edition of your game, there are only so many splashy things you can add. I remember when adding the 40-man roster and waivers was a big selling point one year. Obviously we are way past that.

I think historically accurate minor leagues will be a big addition. I also think the historical exhibition mode will be cool too - you can play 2 teams against each other from history without going through the hassle of a whole league setup. Obviously updated 2016 MLB rosters are a big deal every year. No real splashy online things I'm aware of yet.

Yeah, I think John has the business model pegged pretty well. Doubt it changes either.
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Nigel »

I will support Marcus by buying 17 and no doubt at some stage to remain in the PEBA but I'm not terribly excited about it. I rarely seem to have time to play solo these days and it doesn't really seem to affect the PEBA greatly
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

Fishermen wrote: I rarely seem to have time to play solo these days and it doesn't really seem to affect the PEBA greatly
Ditto... and, well, no effect positively...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Arroyos »

I'm looking forward to the much improved historical replays, which is how I spend my free time when not PEBAing. I've been frustrated for years that I couldn't play the 1962 SF Giants against the 1968 Detroit Tigers. According to the promotional notices, that will now be possible. And replaying World Series games without having to set up an entire league should be a lot easier. I mean, c'mon, there has never been a better World Series than the 1960 Pirate-Yankee endurance contest!

What I keep hoping for is that one of these days OOTP will include images of the historical ballparks. I know they can be downloaded and added to the game, but I always have problems doing that and never end up with what I want. You know, the 1950s Red Sox playing with their backs against the Green Monster when it still had advertising painted on it, or the Brooklyn Dodgers with their unique right field wall, or the 1960 Giants in Candlestick before they built the second deck to reduce the swirling winds. Those kinds of details make my pulse quicken. (And at this age, a quicker pulse ain't no mean feat, fellahs!)
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Nigel »

Has ootp gone as far as Marcus is prepared to take it. Reading the ootp17 boards the common answer from Marcus to threads appears to be "Not anytime soon", "don't want to mess with that bit of code" or "that would require a complete rewrite".

It seems to me that ootp is crying out for a radical rewrite of the size we had in ootp2007, I know that that is probably off the table due to cost but where does that leave us? If all we can look forward to in future is a bit of tinkering around the edges will the fanbase sales start to slowly dwindle as more and more decide the next year's new version doesn't warrant purchasing?
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Bill »

Fishermen wrote:Has ootp gone as far as Marcus is prepared to take it. Reading the ootp17 boards the common answer from Marcus to threads appears to be "Not anytime soon", "don't want to mess with that bit of code" or "that would require a complete rewrite".

It seems to me that ootp is crying out for a radical rewrite of the size we had in ootp2007, I know that that is probably off the table due to cost but where does that leave us? If all we can look forward to in future is a bit of tinkering around the edges will the fanbase sales start to slowly dwindle as more and more decide the next year's new version doesn't warrant purchasing?
Yeah, this is probably a valid concern. I think this is why he has chosen to grow OOTPD the business. That is why there is a mobile game and a hockey game and plans of a football game. He can't milk baseball for 20 more years.

I wouldn't expect a rewrite. As noted, OOTPD seems more prone to create different games now rather than change the old ones.

Again, all of this is just my opinion though. I don't really have any special perspective on this topic, but it is one I've thought about.
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Arroyos »

Fishermen wrote: If all we can look forward to in future is a bit of tinkering around the edges will the fanbase sales start to slowly dwindle as more and more decide the next year's new version doesn't warrant purchasing?
I don't think Marcus and Co. have any worries about a dwindling fan base, at least in the Mac world. There are no competitors to OOTP. So until my hands become too arthritic to play computer games, I will continue to look forward to each year's slight improvements in the game.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#10 Post by Jason »

I constantly plead for a basketball sim, but he has no interest.
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

Forum: 200+
June 8, 2011-2020: 847-800 (Omaha Cyclones)
2021-June 5, 2023: 179-202 (Hartford Harpoon)
Warnke ERA: 1026-1002 (.506)
2015 SL Champions (OMA)
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Apollos »

Right, I don't think the business model is going to be sustainable for a lot longer without a major overhaul. Myself, and likely the rest of you guys will be buying regardless, but I think it's tough to bring new customers in without flashy new features to roll out year after year. I'm not complaining, just seems to be the direction many of the sports sims (FM included) are headed nowadays.

I'm guessing they'll keep working on the 3D engine and maybe we'll see live graphics at some point in the near future, again a la FM?
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Jason »

3D graphics or "highlight 3D replays" would be cool.
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

2015 SL Champions (OMA)
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Bill »

Harpoon wrote:I constantly plead for a basketball sim, but he has no interest.
Yeah, well, he didn't have any interest in a football game for a long time too. Never say never.
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Evas »

The additions look nice, I suppose. But I wouldn't be buying it every year if it weren't for PEBA. Maybe once every 3 years or so.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#15 Post by Jason »

Warriors wrote:
Harpoon wrote:I constantly plead for a basketball sim, but he has no interest.
Yeah, well, he didn't have any interest in a football game for a long time too. Never say never.
I offered to discuss capital infusion for development. No dice.
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

2015 SL Champions (OMA)

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”