Will The NL Adopt The DH Soon?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Matt
VIP
VIP

Re: Will The NL Adopt The DH Soon?

#16 Post by Matt »

And I seriously hope MLB will consider Bob when making it's decision. He's already in a fragile stat. Adding a DH to the NL could set his treatment back decades.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by John »

Knights wrote:... no instant replay, no instant replay, no instant replay ...
You may not want to read today's USA Today article ...

Video review expands to placing runners on fan interference
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by Lions »

I don't watch much basketball but did catch the last 10 minutes of the Blazers-Hawks game the other night. I was stunned to see that every close out of bounds play was video reviewed to see who touched the ball last. Why do we even bother with refs/umpires anymore? We clearly don't want them. I think the current MLB system isn't very good and still hold out hope it will someday be improved. It will never go away... technology has seen to it that we can now make more accurate calls than the umpires, and we can't turn back the clock on that.

As for the DH, I think it's inevitable, primarily from the perspective of protecting team investments in their pitchers. Teams don't want to run even a very small risk of losing a pitcher on an offensive play. That's not why Kershaw is getting paid like he is. They invest tens of millions of dollars in the top arms, and those are the guys who end up getting the most at bats. The fact that we're going through a down offensive era after a high offensive era will increase the chances of it happening soon.

From a marketing standpoint, I think it's hogwash to suggest the DH helps. I'm utterly convinced that the casual fan doesn't really care that much about the DH one way or the other, and you can make decent arguments for and against. If I were emperor, I'd got a bit more gimmicky and say that the same player couldn't DH in consecutive games. That would reduce the number of one-dimensional DH's.

Oh... and I also think an increase to the roster size is inevitable.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”