Will The NL Adopt The DH Soon?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

Will The NL Adopt The DH Soon?

#1 Post by Zephyrs »

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/16 ... s-to-adopt

I think we are ready to have the DH in the NL. It appears to me that the DH exists nearly everywhere except the NL. Maybe they should just give in already?
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Will The NL Adopt The DH Soon?

#2 Post by Bill »

I think it will only happen if it is a concession in collective bargaining to the players union. I doubt MLB will just implement it on their own. But who knows.
I grew up in an AL city, so it doesn't bother me as much as it bothers other people.
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by roncollins »

I love seeing pitchers hit.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by roncollins »

It's not that the DH bothers me, it's that it seems like it adds nothing and takes away a lot. But what do I know? I'm getting to be an old snot, and I don't make any of my money from advertising of the game.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Hitmen »

From what I was reading, it's gaining traction and will be discussed again before next season for possible change.

It's inevitable, it will happen, just a matter of how soon.

I like the no DH and the additional strategy with a pitcher or working around them cause they are useless ;) , but then again I also wouldn't mind the Cubbies having an extra bat in the lineup.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Duane »

GO CUBBIES!!!
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Matt
VIP
VIP

#7 Post by Matt »

Here's to hoping I am long since cold in the ground before the NL adopts the DH.
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Leones »

I hope it doesn't happen. I've always enjoyed the double switch in a ballgame and all the thinking and second-guessing that goes long with it.

Would prefer they address automating the strike zone before doing this. If we're all going to see the pitch zone in a broadcast it's hard to see how the game can keep going on when the fans have access to more/better information than the umpires who reputedly often see some of those very same pitches. Seems inevitable like how instant replay beams part of the NFL game. Personally I'd rather they banned the strike zone graphics from the broadcast {I find it very distracting and find it causes me to stop watching the actual pitches too often} but that's not going to happen.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

I'm kind of indifferent at this point after vacillating one way and then the other. But I get a feeling that we're going to see this happen soon. The Players' Union wants it for the 15 extra jobs it will create, and the owners will likely want it to boost fan interest. It's coming, like it or not.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#10 Post by Matt »

John wrote:I'm kind of indifferent at this point after vacillating one way and then the other. But I get a feeling that we're going to see this happen soon. The Players' Union wants it for the 15 extra jobs it will create, and the owners will likely want it to boost fan interest. It's coming, like it or not.
But it doesn't create 15 extra jobs. Rosters are still going to be the same, 25 players. It just means that now, in the NL, you will have some fading bum with bad knees and who can't field hanging around on your roster.

There's a lot to be said for having to manage an NL roster, to have the right 25 guys, the guys who are athletic and versatile enough to play multiple positions. Replacing that versatile player with some aging bum doesn't feel like it adds to the game to me.

What you really get is not 15 new jobs. You get 15 bigger contracts, because that 35 year old bum who rarely runs out a pop out and had his glove burned 8 years ago is going to get paid more than that 25 year old kid who cover any position on the infield as well as your corner outfield spots, pinch run, steal a base. STUPID. From a baseball standpoint, purely stupid.
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by roncollins »

Ocelots wrote: What you really get is not 15 new jobs. You get 15 bigger contracts, because that 35 year old bum who rarely runs out a pop out and had his glove burned 8 years ago is going to get paid more than that 25 year old kid who cover any position on the infield as well as your corner outfield spots, pinch run, steal a base.
This.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by roncollins »

But realize that unions (as great as they can be) are not there for the little guy or the future player...not fully, anyway. The union is there purely to maximize the earnings of players as a whole. So the DH is great for them. Completely understandable.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Triple-A

#13 Post by Rory »

No DH in either league, no pitch clocks, no any kind of clocks, no automatic intentional walks, no shortening the regular season, no more wild card spots, no first basemen wearing shin guards, no third basemen wearing shin guards, no 2 first base bags so nobody gets stepped on, no fluorescent baseballs, no strikeout for fouling a ball with 2 strikes, no suspending guys for taking out the shortstop or second baseman on a double play, no screens all the way around the ball park, no instant replay, no instant replay, no instant replay, no to timer or limit to stepping out of the box, no to ridiculous ticket prices,

yes to baseball.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Borealis »

Knights wrote:No DH in either league, no pitch clocks, no any kind of clocks, no automatic intentional walks, no shortening the regular season, no more wild card spots, no first basemen wearing shin guards, no third basemen wearing shin guards, no 2 first base bags so nobody gets stepped on, no fluorescent baseballs, no strikeout for fouling a ball with 2 strikes, no suspending guys for taking out the shortstop or second baseman on a double play, no screens all the way around the ball park, no instant replay, no instant replay, no instant replay, no to timer or limit to stepping out of the box, no to ridiculous ticket prices,

yes to baseball.
THIS!!!

Especially the highlighted portion!!!
Ocelots wrote:Here's to hoping I am long since cold in the ground before the NL adopts the DH.
I'm with Ya, Brother!!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Leones »

I'm with you guys.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”