Sports represented

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

Sports represented

#1 Post by Coqui »

I just recently learned that Matt (of the NJ Hitmen) is an avid volleyball player. That got me to wondering what other sports we might represent here. I am assuming that we all love baseball but I thought it might be interesing to see what else we all did/followed. I'll go first.

I play soccer for Akron GFS of the Lake Erie Soccer League. The league is comprised of some amateur and some professional players and features a two leg (fall and spring) season. I play indoor soccer in the winter to stay in shape and feed the obsession. I played basketball in college for the University of the Cumberlands but a recent shoulder injury ended my career.

Professionally, I follow the Chelsea Football Club. My family is from Sevenoaks in Kent, England, just south of Chelsea (a district of London). So that, in a nutshell is me. What do you do?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

In terms of following, of course there's the Indians (but that's true for a number of us here). My "different" sport would be hockey. I've really enjoyed following the Pittsburgh Penguins. for the last 10 years or so. The team has almost been forced out of town due to financial problems on two separate occasions, but they somehow managed to hold on and now are competing for the Stanley Cup with stars like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marian Hossa. Speaking of winter sports, I've also been known to be the one person who thinks curling is kind of cool. :oops:

While I don't play an organized sport, I suppose you could say that weightlifting is my "sport" of choice. In a sense it's a perfect fit for a geek like me. I wasted most of my childhood in the arcades trying to beat my best score; consequently I was a lard butt. No longer! I've been able to make the transition from "5 more points" to "5 more pounds". Can't tell you how much more rewarding that feels.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Tyler »

Baseball only for me. Just can't keep up interest in anything else.
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Jason »

As well as cheering for the Tribe, I am also the Student Assistant/Radio Voice of the University of the Cumberlands Patriots, the Mid-South Conference Champions and #7 team in NAIA Division I.

I played Soccer, Basketball, and Baseball in High School but found the level of play to be well over my head at the college level. Now I have dedicated my efforts to beating Joel in Wiffle Ball.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Duane »

I can't speak for Bill ... but I have played organized ball for 20 years, retiring 4 years ago instead of having the knee surgery that has been waiting for me for 10 years. Was also active in volleyball and the most athletic sports of darts, billiards, and (cough cough) bowling.

What is that movie where there is this Amish guy who is teken to a bowling tourny in Vegas??? I think Woody Harelson was in it as the guys coach.
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Reg »

Thoroughbreds wrote:I can't speak for Bill ... but I have played organized ball for 20 years, retiring 4 years ago instead of having the knee surgery that has been waiting for me for 10 years. Was also active in volleyball and the most athletic sports of darts, billiards, and (cough cough) bowling.

What is that movie where there is this Amish guy who is teken to a bowling tourny in Vegas??? I think Woody Harelson was in it as the guys coach.
kingpin
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Reg »

No professional skills but every monday wednesday friday I wake up around 5:50 and go to a local gym to play full court basketball, I have and continue to like playing football(american) :grin: , and golf. In college I played intramurals for softball, football, basketball, indoor soccer (though I definately sucked), ultimate frisbee, sand volleyball and tiddly winks...well maybe not the tiddly winks...

I cheer on the Dallas Cowboys, and I used to cheer on the Texas Rangers, but seeing as how they got confused and thought it was like golf and the team with the worst record won, well I still cheer them on, going to a game on May the 16th to see them play the Stros...and setting in an all you can eat section..for ten bucks more that easily is made up in bottled water and a couple of hot dogs...I also cheer on the Dallas Mavericks, and am a nominal Dallas Stars fan (which means I know Dallas has a hockey team and that sometimes they do well)....

yep thats pretty much it
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Badgers

#8 Post by Badgers »

I ride my bike to work and drink beer.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Duane »

YES ... another drinker!!!!!
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”