THE DANCE CARD - Community Blog of the Toyama Wind Dancers

Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: THE DANCE CARD - Community Blog of the Toyama Wind Dance

#16 Post by Morris Ragland »

Cliff Hangers wrote:The Kentucky franchise has claimed Shoichi Koyama off waivers, ending the utility infielder’s time with the Toyama organization.
I looked hard at Koyama. Still don't know what we're going to do for a shortstop next season, but I know I'm getting tired of barely serviceable guys.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by roncollins »

I admit that I liked having Koyama around quite a bit. We just needed to go in a different direction.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by roncollins »

_*_*_ THE DANCE CARD _*_*_
A Blog of the Toyama Wind Dancers
Wind Dancers to Let Harada Walk
Cagliostro Manager Gets Contract Extension

November 14, 2022:

In news that isn’t really that startling, Tadao Harada and the Toyama Wind Dancers will be parting company. The 33-year-old reliever came to the club in 2011 as a third-round pick, and first appeared in a game with the parent club in 2014. He posted a 28-32 record in LRS play, with 74 saves. Struggles with injuries limited him last season, however, and he appeared in only 21 games and posted an uncomfortable 6.26 ERA. He was a critical member of the club that won the last Neo-Tokyo Cup.

“I’ll always remember my time with Lupin,” Harada said. “They were great years.”

“We would have loved to have Tadao stay with us,” said GM Ron Collins, “but he was looking for a substantial raise, and we couldn’t make that happen. So all we can do is wish him well as he moves on—preferably to a team in the IL.”

Though the pitcher has said the action is financially motivated, some league pundits are questioning that. While it is true that Harada's contract paid him $2.9M this year, and that, though Harada has said he would be willing to take a pay cut, to stay within league rules the club would have had to match that this season, it is not quite so clear that the team was particularly happy with Harada's performance. With the appearance of guys like Toyokazu Goto, Victor Morgan, and a couple other guys still in Yamauchi, one would think that Harada's injury-plagued 6.26 ERA last year was at leasta factor in the decision.

Aoki to stay

The Toyama front office has quietly rewarded A-Ball Cagliostro manager Shoraku Aoki with a two-season contract extension. Aoki has been with the Thieves since 2010, and has guided them to the playoffs two of the last four seasons. “We’ve seen good progression of players as they pass through the A-ball level,” a recent Zap release said.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by roncollins »

Win-Ds Change Course
League edict jump-starts search for manager

November 15, 2022

After having earlier discussed the idea of GM Ron Collins stepping into the dugout, the Toyama Wind Dancers announced today that they would comply with PEBA directives to fully staff the manager position. This followed a season wherein several managers banded together in solidarity, resulting in most teams dismissing them.

“We were among the few who remained loyal to our manager,” said Collins at yesterday’s video conference. “So obviously we’re fine with this. But as everyone knows, Mr. Iwasaki had a very stressful season and has chosen to go a different direction. As such, we’ll redouble efforts to find a new helmsman or helmswoman in the dugout.”

When asked if that meant he would be interviewing women for the role, Collins said they were looking for the best fit he could find, and that fit was genderless. “I’m interested in the decisions a person makes, and the way they will handle the mix of players we have on the roster. I’m not interested in past success, really, a track record is good, but we’ve taken new and inexperienced leaders on in the past and done quite well.”

Collins is likely referring to the recent hire of Glen Wallace at their SSA level club. Wallace led the Swamp Dragons to a deep post-season run, and developed his players in ways the club appears happy with.

Iwasaki left the team at the end of this season, completing a 13-year stint with the club that saw him compile a 866-1060 record in LRS and PEBA play. His teams made the post season only twice, and he was at the helm when the club took the coveted Neo-Tokyo Cup. He turned 64 years old this past summer, and it's questionable as to whether he intends to sign another contract at all.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#20 Post by roncollins »

Wind Dancers Introduce Suzuki as Manager
Questionable Hire Leaves Observers Stunned

November 22, 2022

In a stunning announcement, Toyama General Manager introduced Hirotada Suzuki as the teams new manager this afternoon.

"We interviewed a lot of guys," Collins said, "but Hirotada is the one I wanted." This despite the fact that Suzuki has no managerial experience whatsoever. Collins went on to praise his new manager's approach to managing in-game decisions, despite the fact that all those decisions in the past were apparently at the helm of computer simulations or perhaps his son's little league games.

Not that Suzuki hasn't been around baseball, and Japanese baseball at that. The right-handed pitcher started 192 games for the Neo-Tokyo organization in the LRS heyday, posting a career record of 66-76 with a 3.86 ERA. "He understands baseball," Collins said. "And he was well known as a guy who worked harder than anyone else. I think you'll also find that his approach to communications will be solid. It's important to me that we be able to relate to the media. Our fans are going to love Hirotada Suzuki."

The 36-year-old Suzuki spent most of his portion of the press conference telling stories about his own career, and talking about how he couldn't wait to get into the clubhouse and meet the guys. He will replace Kinnosuke Iwasaki, a man who was a stalwart with the team despite being stoic and more than a bit obtuse when it came to handling the media side of the role--something that became much more important when the club transitioned into the PEBA and out of the smaller fishbowl of the LRS.

"I expect we'll see a very aggressive team next season," Collins said as he wound down the conference. "I want Hirotada to know he has my full support."

The deal Suzuki signed is for three years, and is rumored to be at a bargain price of somewhere in the range of $250K per year. A team insider, speaking with obvious need for anonymity, suggested this allowed the team some leeway on the hire and that if it didn't work out Suzuki would never see the end of the contract. "It's not too hard to eat $500K if need be."
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#21 Post by roncollins »

Nishiyama to Return
Popular veteran agrees to 1-year pact

November 23, 2022

Just a few days after it was revealed that the Toyama Wind Dancers had declined their option on soon-to-be 34-year-old Tsuyoshi Nishiyama’s contract, the player announced that he had agreed to a 1-season pact that would keep him with the team.

“Happy to be a Wind Dancer #TBFforever,” Nishiyama tweeted this morning.

The right-hander’s original contract paid him $5.6M this season, and called for him to make more than $6M next year. To make the deal, however, the right hander is rumored to have accepted only something in the range of $4.5M. Given his seniority with the ball club, PEBA bylaws required the team to pay at least $4.2M for his services, so if the rumored numbers are true, the agreement was above that limit.

Nishiyama had been with the club his entire career, and has started more games than any other pitcher in franchise history. His 91 career wins are second behind Masahru Inoue’s 94. His 1,449 strikeouts are the most in the organization by a very wide margin (no other Toyama pitcher has crested the 1,000 mark, though Akira Watanabe and Shinbu Takeuchi should both do so next season).

He will return to a rotation that will almost certainly remain anchored by Akira Watanabe and Shinbou Taekuchi, with veteran Tadamasa Hashimoto in the #3 slot. Watanabe (16-13, 3.39) had an outstanding season in 2022, but the team has some concerns about Takeuchi (11-10, 4.38), who wavered at times. Hashimoto's 12-10 record and 3.84 ERA were solid enough to be happy with. Nishiyama started the season off as if he was in the running for the Golden Arm award. He carried a 4-4, 3.17 ERA record into a mid-June game with Crystal lake before herniating a disk. He returned a month later, but was nowhere near as effective. If he can recapture a bit of that magic, the team could be in pretty good shape.

If the tweet deck is to be believed, it appears the signing was popular with the fans. ”Nishi! Nishi! Nishi! #TBFforever” one fan responded.

Courtney Has Set-Back

In more gloomy news, the team's medical staff reports that rookie left-hander Bill Courtney has encountered a set-back in rehabbing his torn meniscus. "He should still be good to go for spring training," Dr. Yoshida said. "But we want him to be careful right now."

Courtney, who comes toting a fastball that hits 101 on the gun, was signed out of the Mexican League, and started six games for the Lupin/Toyama organization, posting a 3.97 ERA. He is expected to have the inside track to the team's #5 starter slot unless they sign a name free agent.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#22 Post by roncollins »

Cisneros Struggling
Designated Hitter To Take a Week Off

November 29, 2022

First baseman/Designated Hitter Roberto Cisneros was on fire early in the season, but an awkward slide and a ripped up knee put an end to that. He's been steadily working his way back into shape after successful surgery, but today the Wind Dancer medical office released a note indicating that the slugger's knee had exhibited unforeseen swelling.
Will Setback Affect Cisneros's Numbers?
"We're taking it cautiously," Dr. Yoshida's office said. "So we've directed Roberto to stand down for a week and we'll see what happens. We have a couple months to play with, and we would rather be safe than sorry."

Cisneros is doing his rehab at home in Pennsylvania, using his high school gym as a central focus. "It's where it all started," he said in an earlier interview. "So it keeps me focused, and reminds me of where I'm from. It reminds me how far I've come, and exactly how far I have to go. Next year is a contract season for me. Every time I lift, I count of to the word 'Arbitration.' As in arbitration 1, arbitration 2, arbitration 3!"

Cisneros was signed out of Moody High as a fourth round selection by the Amsterdam franchise (then Connecticut), and became a Wind Dancer when the club acquired him in exchange for Pedro Garza.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#23 Post by roncollins »

Arbitration Cases Settled
Team Goes 1-for-2

December 1, 2022

Arbitrator Smiles on Escobido

A few months after the Toyama Wind Dancer second baseman José Escobido broke his ankle and ended his season, a faceless arbitrator awarded him $4.25M in a hearing that occurred earlier this afternoon. The team was reported to have offered something in the range of $3.1M.

"We're happy to have Jose back at the top of our order," said GM Ron Collins. "Regardless of the dollar figure, we're all winners."

Escobido hit .321 and got on base at a .425 clip in 351 plate appearances last season, good for 3.2 WAR. He also stole 9 bases. He turned 31 on his last birthday, so no one is really expecting those stolen base numbers to pop much in the future. He turned in an above average +5.1 ZR in the field, prompting some team insiders to suggest he might have been considered for the 2B All Leather award if he had seen an entire season.

"I like Japan," Escobido said. "And the money is fair. I hope I can spend the rest of my career here." The second baseman's rehab was completed earlier this month, and he is already well into his normal off-season conditioning regimen.

Kojima Awarded $950K

The Wind Dancers will also retain the services of 30-year-old catcher Yeijiro Kojima (10 HR, 34 RBI, .278/.336/.451), who will cash the $950K paycheck the team offered in 2023. Kojima wasn't expected to play a big role last season, but wound up seeing 325 PA in 105 games as both a back-up first baseman and half-time catcher. No word on the figure Kojima's rep had submitted, but team insiders said that the figure Kojima wanted in order to sign a longer term contract was "staggering."
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#24 Post by roncollins »

Wind Dancers Land Two Big Fish, Thrill Fans
Front Office Introduces Lewis, Martin

December 16, 2022

Fans across Toyama are getting a clearer picture of what their team might be like heading into the 2023 season, and they can be forgiven if they like what it's shaping up to be. The Wind Dancers changed the entire complexion of their starting rotation this week as they added Clayton Lewis, adguably the biggest of the big-fish starting pitchers available in free agency this season. The 28-year-old Lewis signed a mega-deal that spans five guaranteed seasons and includes a vesting option for a sixth. If all seasons are executed, the team has dropped $125M on the right-hander.

It could be worth it, though.
Can Lewis Take the Win-D's to the Promised Land?
Lewis's 92-78 career record (including a 19-win season with the then Connecticut Nutmeggers) puts him on a path to wind up among the league greats. His arrival at the top of the Wind Dancer rotation improves the entire collection, as everyone else moves down. Akira Watanabe, for example, becomes a remarkable #2, and Shinobu Takeuchi, Tadamasa Hashimoto, and Tsuyoshi Nishiyama all look much stronger in the #3/4/5 holes than they did one rung higher. The add also suggests that left-handed starter Bill Courtney could move down to the bullpen, giving the club the port-sider that they've needed since Jorge Aguilar got old.

Lewis broke into the league with the Tempe club, and spent the last four seasons with the Connecticut/Amsterdam franchise, helping them reach the post-season each of those years.

"I'm so excited to be with a team that's on the way up," Lewis said. "And I'm happy that my family has some stability now. The kids are just getting to the point that they need to be in the same place for a little while, and both me and Mikki (his wife) are looking forward to living in Japan. It's a beautiful country."

AND MARTIN MAKES TWO

For the past two seasons, it's been clear that Sadatake Sato, the team's stalwart center fielder, has been a mere shell of his former self. The team, however, stuck with him--partially due to the cash on his contract, and partially because he was Sadatake Sato. Injuries, however, have made him unreliable enough that the club has been drafting the position heavily for two seasons, selecting Donald Allen and Noriuki Matsui, and Katsumoto Yamaguchi in recent years.

These prospects are each developing into interesing players, but none of them appear to be quite ready for prime-time.

Introducing Crystal Lake's John Martin, who the club signed to a 1-season $5M contract. Martin himself has been injury-plagued each of the last two seasons, but has been highly productive when he's been able to stay on the field.
Can Martin Stay Healthy All Year?
"We see him as a +10ZR guy in center," said GM Ron Collins. "And that will do nothing but help our pitchers. Offensively, he can be an elite kind of #2 guy behind Jose (Escobido)." At 29, Martin should be as reliable as that injury track record allows. He's a left-handed hitter who has proven to be able to it left-handed pitchers a bit, too.

The current expectation is that Sato will slide to right field (where he was an elite-level defender). This could mean Kuniyoshi Kato may be made available.

Whatever shakes out, fans around the city are buzzing and wondering what comes next.

"We aren't finished, that's for sure," Collins said. "We're looking at trades and the draft. And you never know what's up in the market. We would love to add another player or two, and with Paul (Walker) opening up the purse strings we're able to do it in the right circumstances."
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer

#25 Post by Morris Ragland »

Lewis was one of several pitchers who wouldn't talk to me. I hope we beat him like a $2 steak.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#26 Post by Leones »

Shisa wrote:Lewis was one of several pitchers who wouldn't talk to me. I hope we beat him like a $2 steak.
He wouldn't play for Havana either. You beat him good and we'll bring the steak sauce. :)
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#27 Post by roncollins »

Frenzied Winter Meetings Finds Fans Feeling Festive

Link to Front Page
December 26, 2022

As the Christmas season descended upon the PEBAverse, fans of the newly minted Toyama Wind Dancers were going casually insane pretty much day-by-day.

“We told everyone that this was going to be the year,” said General Manager Ron Collins. “We’ve been working under pretty tight budgets for a couple seasons, and we’ve done our best to avoid making wholesale changes to the roster as we transitioned from baseball in Japan to baseball on the global stage. But we think the moons are lined up for us this year. So now’s the time.”

Now indeed.

The club came into North Carolina, traditional home of the league’s Winter Meetings, already having made huge news with the signing of big-ticket free agents Clayton Lewis and John Martin. Fans wanted more, of course, but even the halest of followers could not have predicted the avalanche of events being reported from the eastern seaboard of the United States: four trades, capped by another major signing in free agency. It was a mini-Christmas every day.

EVERYTHING’S COMING UP ROSAS!!!

The biggest move of the collection is clearly the acquisition of a young superstar in 22-year-old right fielder Iván Rosa from the New Jersey franchise. The biggest issue that new manager Hirotada Suzuki may have with Rosa is deciding where to play him. Seriously. As a 21-year old, Rosa pitched in 46 games for the Hitmen, tossing an astounding 3.66 ERA. Last year in the outfield, the mutli-talented Puerto Rican hit 20 homers and slashed .329/.362/.513. For good measure, he threw in 24 steals.

“Iván” is the kind of guy we like to have in this organization,” Collins said. “He’s productive, and he’s a guy who comes to work every day.” He’s also a guy who will come to the club on a league minimum salary this season, and two theoretically cheap arbitration years. Club insiders say they think Rosa is a rare left-handed bat who can hit left-handed pitching, though he sometimes struggled against them last season. “He’s 22,” one of the team’s scouts said. “He’ll be fine.”

The cost for Rosa (a #1 draft pick and two nice looking prospects from down in Osakasayama) was understandably high, but for now fans are not complaining.

BULLPEN GOES ON CRUZ CONTROL

Maybe the best indicator of the possible upside of Iván Rosa is the fact that his acquisition gets top billing over the inclusion of ex-Tempe closer Raúl Cruz. But it’s true. The club capped its winter meeting activity with a presser in which they introduced Cruz and announced they had opened up their wallets to the tune of $40M for three seasons, and a$15.6M option for a fourth.

“You can’t believe how excited I am to be here,” Cruz said. “Ron and Paul (owner, Paul Walker) are clearly making a statement this season, and it’s great to be a part of it.”

Cruz (28) was one of two elite closers available on the market this season. He’s registered 103 saves over his career, though only the last three has he been to go-to man in the 9th. He threw a 2.33 ERA in 77 innings last season. The acquisition most likely moves last year’s rookie phenom Chad Miller into a set-up role, though there was a shiver of a rumor that the club might attempt to convert Cruz into a starter.

“I don’t know about that,” Collins said at the Q&A session afterward. “The rotation is already pretty full, and I’ve still got a few of Paul’s bucks left to spend. You never know who we might acquire next.”

The fans laughed, then went to check the list of available arms.

WIN-Ds GO GREEN

In a second move to help shape the club’s outfield, Toyama dealt longtime franchise favorite Kuniyoshi Kato to (once again) New Jersey, receiving 28-year-old switch-hitter Clifford Green in return. New Jersey also received two middle-round draft selections in the upcoming draft.

Kato (28) has been a solid and sometimes spectacular performer for the club over his eight seasons, but he suffered through injuries over the past three seasons, and the club was beginning to find his contract prohibitive ($5.2M this season, with a $6.2M option for 2024). Green (29) comes at the much more palatable price of $800K, and has proven he can get on base from both sides of the plate. He hit .288/.339/.408 with limited power last season, and projects to fill the team’s 5th outfielder role.

TWO “MINOR” DEALS

As a growing franchise, the organization has lived off the draft the last few seasons—flooding the organization with interesting prospects. Despite trading several stronger picks this year (and possibly losing their #2 for the signing of free agents) Collins made a mega-lottery ticket deal with Hartford, sending their 5th-round selection to the Harpoon in return for seven selections in the later rounds. “We’ve liked the guys we got in the last half of the draft last year,” Collins said. I expect several of them will make an impact someplace down the road, and I’m sure the same will be said for the players we get with these picks.”

And finally, the club made an administrative deal with New Orleans, purchasing “Get Into Winter Ball Tickets” from the Trendsetters for a reported $2.2M. Toyama insiders suggest they will be sending left-handed pitcher Bill Courtney out to finish rehab on his mended knee and hone his repertoire.

FINAL ASSESSMENT

The truth is that the final assessment of the team’s off-season maneuvering is still premature. As Collins suggested, the rumor mill is still churning around the team—many folks saying that the Wind Dancers are still working the room looking for a more elite shortstop to replace aging captain Shiro Adachi. They also suggest that the club could be looking at another free agent or two, though it seems obvious that Walker’s cash machine is going run dry sometime.

But even if the carrousel were to stop right now one would think the Toyama prospects for 2023 look to be seriously upgraded. The team has seen a strengthening of the rotation, the bullpen, and the outfield (arguably both offensively and defensively). Rivals in the Rising Sun Division are best served to take notice.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#28 Post by Borealis »

The Win-D's sure were busy and have their 'stormy eyes' squarely set upon those Evil Evas! According to the PEBA Offseason poll, as measured by +/- WAR ('what's it good for - absolutely nothing'), ToyPin has far and away improved the most!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#29 Post by roncollins »

Sutherland Signing Rounds Out WinD's Pitching Staff
Will Club Go to Seven-Man Rotation?

January 17, 2023

In an off-season that may well qualify as a close fan's greatest wish fulfillment dream, Toyama Wind Dancer general manager Ron Collins announced the signing of starting pitcher Davis Sutherland. "We're terribly excited to have a guy of Davis's experience and quality," Collins said as he introduced the 31-year-old right hander. "He's a guy we know can throw hard, and can give us a lot of innings if we need them, but he's gone to the bullpen before."

"Really I just want to win, and win now," Sutherland said. "I'm like the next guy in that way, you know. There's great joy to playing the game, and I loved my time with Duluth. But Toyama is going to be a great team soon, and I want to be a part of what's going down."

Sutherland debuted with the Warriors in 2014, and has a career record of 81-71 in the nine seasons since. His career ERA stands at 3.39 in the hitting friendly confines of Doyle Buhl Stadium. His contract squabbles with the Duluth front office made headlines, and it is assumed he was unhappy that the club shut him down early in order to void a vesting option.

Sutherland's contract is thought to be for $5.5M a season, with two guaranteed years and a third season that vests at 110 innings.

SIGNING CAUSES CROWDED HOUSE

The big question on everyone's lips right now is who will start and who will relieve. The Toyama staff consists of seven quality starters, including earlier signee Clayton Lewis, who will presumably fill the #1 slot, Akira Watanabe as #2 right behind. The question gets murky at that point. Longtime WinD starter Shinobu Takeuchi has been presumed as the #3 man, with Tadamasa Hashimoto as #4. Collins signed Toyama veteran Tsunyoshi Nishiyama to a fairly cheap 1-season deal, theoretically to be the #5 starter. But Toyama's player development staff recently sent lefty Bill Courtney to winter ball in order to help him hone his repertoire, to great reports. Sutherland's arrival give the club seven proven options to take the hill on the words 'play ball.'

Technically, the staff is deeper than that, as lefty Hyeon-Cheong Yong came to the club as a starter, as did last season's closer Chad Miller.

"If my years in this game have taught me anything," Collins said, "It's that you can never have too much pitching. And to be honest, there's not a guy on our big league roster who I wouldn't trust if (manager) Hirotada (Suzuki) gave him the ball."

MOVES STILL ON THE HORIZON

Collins wouldn't commit to saying that the roster was set at this point. "We're still being active on the free agent front, though we're getting a bit choosier on our targets. And we would love to find a middle infielder to pair with Adachi as either utility guy or a full time shortstop. Shiro can fill the role, but we've talked, and he understands his day as a full time player are coming to an end sooner rather than later. In his own inimitable style, he's good to do whatever the team and the city need of him."
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Triple-A

#30 Post by Simon »

Sutherland probably cant start too many games anymore (3 stamina), but even without him your rotation looks pretty good :geek:
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)

Return to “Toyama Wind Dancers”