*WARNING* Fallout 4 - dont buy it unless...

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

*WARNING* Fallout 4 - dont buy it unless...

#1 Post by Simon »

...unless you are HUGE fallout fan. And even then (or because of that even more so) you probably will be very dissapointed about the game.
Dont jump on hype train like many did and pre-ordered the game. Check some gameplay/(honest) reviews, metacritic score (link) or what i sometimes do myself: shamelessly download it from torrents and check it out before buying (or not).

For me few hours of gameplay were enough to decide not to buy it and not to play it again :)
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: *WARNING* Fallout 4 - dont buy it unless...

#2 Post by Evas »

I bought it at about $45, which I don't feel too bad about. This is one of those games that I support just on principle because I want them to continue to be made.

I got to play for maybe an hour yesterday, half of which was character creation. So far it is exactly what I expected. More new content, pretty much just like Fallout 3. That is not a bad thing. I an psyched to explore and see what I find. The hugeness and openness of the world is very cool.

I haven't run in to bugs yet, but I am sure they exist. They will get stamped out. I will probably be moving through the game at a deliberate pace, so they'll probably get fixed before I even encounter them.

Would it be a better value to wait a year and buy the GOTY edition? Certainly. It would be even better to wait 3 years and get it even cheaper.

Personally, I am happy to play through the vanilla version over the next few months and then probably come back to the game sometime next year with mods, dlc and the like. I will probably get at least 100 hours of entertainment out of the base game. So I don't feel bad about the purchase at $45, even if it isn't perfect yet.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Bill »

Calzones wrote:...unless you are HUGE fallout fan. And even then (or because of that even more so) you probably will be very dissapointed about the game.
Dont jump on hype train like many did and pre-ordered the game. Check some gameplay/(honest) reviews, metacritic score (link) or what i sometimes do myself: shamelessly download it from torrents and check it out before buying (or not).

For me few hours of gameplay were enough to decide not to buy it and not to play it again :)
WHA?!?!?!? You have ruined my entire day :cry:

I've been looking forward to this and XCom2 for literally months. Fallout 4 was supposed to be the reason I bought a PS4.

This can't be a bad game. I refuse to believe it :sticksfingersinears:
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#4 Post by Simon »

Id like fallout games continue to be made, just not by Bethesda. Instead of role playing game with fps elements, you get here first person shooter with rpg elements (you jump into power armor at level 2, what the hell ?!), and with outdated graphics, bugs, glitches, frame drops etc. Dialogues are awful (yes, no, maybe, wtf is this?), also they didnt convince me to care what happened to my wife or son (main plot).

Game was fun for me until i got out of the vault, which is about 30mins.

EDIT: you can forget what i said about bad graphics and frame drops if you are a console user i guess.
Simon Kuliszewski
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Evas »

Calzones wrote:Id like fallout games continue to be made, just not by Bethesda. Instead of role playing game with fps elements, you get here first person shooter with rpg elements (you jump into power armor at level 2, what the hell ?!), and with outdated graphics, bugs, glitches, frame drops etc. Dialogues are awful (yes, no, maybe, wtf is this?), also they didnt convince me to care what happened to my wife or son (main plot).

Game was fun for me until i got out of the vault, which is about 30mins.

EDIT: you can forget what i said about bad graphics and frame drops if you are a console user i guess.
Just curious, did you play New Vegas or Fallout 3?

If you didn't like those, you definitely wouldn't like F4.
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#6 Post by Simon »

Evas wrote: Just curious, did you play New Vegas or Fallout 3?
i did try new vegas...and didnt like it :)
Evas wrote:If you didn't like those, you definitely wouldn't like F4.
Probably you are right about me.
But i also read a lot of reviews on steam from people saying they really liked f3 and vegas, but hate f4 for what Bethesda did to the franchise. By the way New Vegas was made by Obsidian, not Bethesda.

If you bought this game and actually like it, good for you really. But for you guys who didnt buy it yet, dont do it because of the "hype", check it out first :)

Best review i read so far: link
Simon Kuliszewski
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Evas »

Well if you aren't a fan of the genre, I don't see why you would expect to like Fallout 4.

That review brings up good points on a few issues. But that guy just seems to write bad reviews as a hobby. He played games for hundreds of hours and gave them bad reviews... weird. He has 800+ hours in to DOTA 2 and calls it a "putrid mess". He seems to like the attention of writing bad reviews.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on his major problems.

Bugs - I am less concerned with this. They will get ironed out over time. Maybe my expectations are too low. Either way, this will be resolved soon.

Graphics - Eh, I think it looks fine. Then again, I don't have a gigantic state of the art rig.

Dialog - He might have a point here. I was not a fan of how it played out in Mass Effect. Having the protagonist being voiced is not great either. I'll have to see how this plays out. This has potential to be disappointing.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Bill »

Yeah, that guy seemed to have an axe to grind. I'm still excited about it, though I am a definite sucker for Bethesda games. The Elder Scrolls ones are a bit better, but they don't have radiation or laser weapons. I also don't really care about the politics of piracy enforcement or paying for mods/expansions. I played hundreds of hours of vanilla unexpansioned Skyrim. I also bought the full New Vegas bundle and didn't even play most of the expansion content.

Xmas will be the earliest I will get to play it, maybe longer. Still having discussions with the missus about the console upgrade. I might have to employ a hammer or go all Office Space with it and chuck it out the window on accident...
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#9 Post by Simon »

Well if you aren't a fan of the genre, I don't see why you would expect to like Fallout 4.
Depends on what you mean by genre.

If you mean only Fallout 3 and Vegas, then i agree, im not a fan of those.

If you mean Fallout franchise, then i liked fallout 1 and 2, didnt try Tactics though.

For me genre here means rpg in 1st/3rd person view and i expect good story or at least interesting world. Doesnt really matter if its post apocalyptic world, fantasy, science-fiction, steam-punk or something else, if the immersion is good.
I played (and liked) quite a few titles, among others all elders scrolls games, all 3 witchers, all 3 mass effects, Vampire The Mascarade: Bloodlines (one of the best out there, especially if you are into vampires ;), Deus Ex (old and new), System Shock etc etc. But all of these games, despite being 1st or 3rd person still had good story. Except for Skyrim, main story sucks in there, but world created was great; i spent very little time on main plot, but a lot on side quests/guild quests etc.

In Fallout 4 i liked how they started the story, in the vault i read all those terminal entries and i really liked this fresh view on what the vaults were for (fresh for me, i didnt play f3 and vegas much). But then i came out and i saw this "Minuteman" trying to change world for the better (sic), then i talked to some old woman on drugs, saying about my "Destiny" (please, not again), then they gave me powersuit with gatling gun installed, and sent me to kill everybody outside, including some mutant Deathclaw (sigh). Every passing minute i was losing immersion, and in pretty brutal way too. I was expecting role playing game and they gave me far cry in fallout world (with f3 graphics). And i liked far cry 3 by the way (didnt like 4 because of the simple copy pasterino).

I probably would still be playing to see for myself if the story/world somehow becomes better, but i cant because of frame drops (60 to under 30, or even to 0 sometimes; yes, game becomes frozen for few seconds from time to time). Probably these bugs and optimialisation problems will be fixed in time, but i'm already done with the game..
Simon Kuliszewski
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#10 Post by Zephyrs »

I really love the game so far. I play on PS4. I found Skyrim to be the greatest non-baseball game ever made and Fallout 4 has been almost as enjoyable after about 10 hours of play.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by John »

I know there are some very hardcore voices on both sides of the Fallout divide: old-school (2D, heavy RPG elements) and new-wave (3D, open world). Me, I see stuff to like on both sides. The original Fallout remains my favorite in the series. We'll never get another Fallout game like that again, but that's okay for a couple of reasons. One, I do enjoy Bethesda's open worlds, and if they're a bit shallow at times, there's always the modding scene to beef them up. Two, I have games like Pillars of Eternity and the upcoming Torment: Tides of Numenera to turn to when I want my hardcore fix.

As for Fallout 4, I would absolutely love to check it out, but I just don't have the time. Maybe in a few years when everything has settled down, I can back to it and other games I've been dying to play like Divinity: Original Sin and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. For now, I'll have to content myself with listening to your accounts and being terribly jealous. :-L
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#12 Post by Simon »

Wow i didnt even hear about new Torment game 8-o Im definitely trying that one out when its released.

Btw im a backer on Kickstarter for Divinity 2 :)
Simon Kuliszewski
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Evas »

John wrote:I know there are some very hardcore voices on both sides of the Fallout divide: old-school (2D, heavy RPG elements) and new-wave (3D, open world). Me, I see stuff to like on both sides. The original Fallout remains my favorite in the series. We'll never get another Fallout game like that again, but that's okay for a couple of reasons. One, I do enjoy Bethesda's open worlds, and if they're a bit shallow at times, there's always the modding scene to beef them up. Two, I have games like Pillars of Eternity and the upcoming Torment: Tides of Numenera to turn to when I want my hardcore fix.

As for Fallout 4, I would absolutely love to check it out, but I just don't have the time. Maybe in a few years when everything has settled down, I can back to it and other games I've been dying to play like Divinity: Original Sin and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. For now, I'll have to content myself with listening to your accounts and being terribly jealous. :-L
I like both types of Fallout games as well. I really love just picking a direction and going that way in the open world ones. You're right that they can be shallower, but the freedom you get is so great.

If you are itching for a game like Fallout 1&2, you should give Wasteland 2 a try. It is just like them and absolutely lived up to that standard.
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Zephyrs »

I purchased Witcher 3 two months ago. I hoped it would satisfy my Skyrim itch but, despite amazing graphics, it falls far short for me. I think it is due to the huge number of 'cut scenes'. For some reason the style of play in Skyrim and Fallout suits me better. I am not sure I can put my finger on the exact reason though.

On a side note, the Witcher came with an audio cd of music that, I have no interest in. But, I can't stop hearing the Fallout 4 songs in my head. I would play the shit out of a music cd for Fallout!

Atom Bomb Baby!
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by John »

Calzones wrote:Btw im a backer on Kickstarter for Divinity 2 :)
Oooh, I can't wait for that one! #1 on my Most Anticipated list, for sure.
Evas wrote:If you are itching for a game like Fallout 1&2, you should give Wasteland 2 a try. It is just like them and absolutely lived up to that standard.
That's another one that sits high on my Want to Play list. :)
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”