2016 World Series Mets/Royals

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

2016 World Series Mets/Royals

#1 Post by Rory »

Game One:
New York Mets 3
Kansas City Royals 4
14 innings

Wow did this series start off with a bang.
There were so many things going on in this one that I'd have to write a book to cover it all.
Great game.
Last edited by Rory on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: 2016 World Series Mets/Royals

#2 Post by Borealis »

I was surprised to hear 14 innings was the longest WS game - all these years you'd think there would have been one über-marathon...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

Borealis wrote:I was surprised to hear 14 innings was the longest WS game - all these years you'd think there would have been one über-marathon...
I thought it was just the longest World Series Game 1 in history, not necessarily the longest World Series game of all time.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Jason »

John wrote:
Borealis wrote:I was surprised to hear 14 innings was the longest WS game - all these years you'd think there would have been one über-marathon...
I thought it was just the longest World Series Game 1 in history, not necessarily the longest World Series game of all time.
I also believe there was another 14 inning game 1 before. This was the longest game 1 TIME wise.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

Forum: 200+
June 8, 2011-2020: 847-800 (Omaha Cyclones)
2021-June 5, 2023: 179-202 (Hartford Harpoon)
Warnke ERA: 1026-1002 (.506)
2015 SL Champions (OMA)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

There have been two 14 inning games in World Series history - back in the Day's-day, in 1916, before they were the dodgers, the Robins lost Game 2 to a young Boston pitcher who would go the distance in a 2-1 BoSox win. You might have heard of the guy - George Herman Ruth?

Then in 2005 when the Astros lost to the White Sox in Game 3. Nothing exciting there... I think it was a Geoff Blum walk-off HR if I recall....
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
richard_v
Double-A
Double-A

#6 Post by richard_v »

Last night was so disappointing (I think even more so than game 1, I just kinda wrote that off as all the planets aligned for the Royals as the Mets never blow TWO leads with Harvey and Familia on the mound). But I'm still going to games 3 and 4 and 5 (if there is one). I've been a long time Mets season ticket holder. I still believe.
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#7 Post by Rory »

Game 2
New York Mets 1
Kansas City Royals 7

Did not see that one coming.
I was guessing the Royals need to split wins against both Degromm and Syndergard starts to have a chance in this series. I'm thinking they will be getting 2 starts each. And also need to take 2 out of 3 in the other 3 games. A tall task.

After the Mets took the Royals into the 14th in game 1, I thought the Royals were in big trouble. The Mets used up the Royals pen in their house in the very first game of the series with 2 aces coming up back to back. But game 2 just threw everything out the door as only baseball can do, especially with Cueto going the distance and the bullpen not only got to rest during game 2, but also with an extra days rest for the travel day. Now the pressure heavily sways towards the Mets in game 3. If they lose with Syndergard on the mound and go down 3-0, they may not make it to Degromm's next start. Oh man is baseball the greatest game in the world or what. So many twists and turns.

But I'm still going to games 3 and 4 and 5 (if there is one). I've been a long time Mets season ticket holder. I still believe.
You get to go to a World Series!!! Hell ya Rich. That is waaaay kool. Enjoy
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#8 Post by Rory »

Game 3
Kansas City Royals 3
New York Mets 9

Mets hold serve at home and with one of their aces. As expected. But what wasn't expected is the Mets sending a message with the first pitch of the game. Sending that message via chin music. Gotta love it. When Syndergard was asked about that pitch after the game by the MLB network commentators he said "that was what I meant when I said I had a plan for the Royals. Escobar comes out swinging at the first pitch every game. So I threw it up thinking, you like to swing at every first pitch? hit this one". Hell ya. Now we head to the middle of the series where the Royals need to win both games if they dont want the series coming down to them having to beat Degromm or Syndergard again. Which they can do but is a tough task. And the Mets need to hold serve at home and try to steal one in Kansas City. Which is also a tough task.
Game on... :chatter:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#10 Post by Rory »

Game 4
Kansas City Royals 5
New York Mets 3

John Wrote:
What an embarrassing way to end a World Series game. :oops:
Yes this. Errors and brain farts cost the Mets game 4 and the chance to even up the series.
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by roncollins »

And game 5 ended with the fans' hearts and the ego of their starting pitcher overriding the intellect of their manager. Another tough way to lose a big game.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Triple-A

#12 Post by Rory »

Game 5
Kansas City Royals 7
New York Mets 2
12 innings

Errors and brain farts cost the Mets in Game 5 as the Royals are crowned World Champions.
Give credit to the Royals for playing baseball like it's suppose to be played.
Although it was a short series it was a good one. I wish it could of went 7.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#13 Post by Matt »

I sort of see last night's 9th inning as the baseball gods evening up the score for 1986.
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#14 Post by Rory »

And game 5 ended with the fans' hearts and the ego of their starting pitcher overriding the intellect of their manager. Another tough way to lose a big game.
Hell's to the ya on that Ron. Although he got the outs in the 8th, Harvey was clearly missing his spots. And missing them inconsistently. What I mean by that is he wasn't just missing his pitches low or high or left or right. He missed them in random directions which is a sure tail sign he's had enough. And most importantly the ball missed up on some of em. But I can't really fault him for wanting to finish the deal or the manager for letting him go out there. That's baseball. Plus Familia wasn't exactly lights out in the series. The Mets just couldn't overcome their errors. The Royals were able to.

We saw major league players on both sides making errors on routine plays. Simple ground balls, easy fly balls, little league throwing errors and even forgetting how many outs there were.

But ya know what? Baseball doesn't know if your playing in the World Series, or if your playing in the Majors, the minors, semi pro, college, high school or Little League.
It just knows it's baseball.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Duane »

Knights wrote:
But ya know what? Baseball doesn't know if your playing in the World Series, or if your playing in the Majors, the minors, semi pro, college, high school or Little League.
It just knows it's baseball.
Here Here Rory ... Nicely stated
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”