only when peba makes me
11%

Total votes: 9

DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

New Version of OOTP 9 ...WHEN!!!!!!!!!

#1 Post by DanD »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm salivating over the new features/upgrades on ootp 9. I bought it tonight and didn't realize that it's in beta testing and not being released until early spring. Its already early spring... WHERE THE FORK IS MY GAME!!! Beware you can't use it yet, only buy it.

There are several features worth mentioning. Improved functionality of online drafting. According to the press release, "Online league players will be ecstatic to see this feature that allows GMs to rank available players before a draft takes place. Improved Personnel Contracts: Personnel now go through a contract system more similar to that of players, although not quite as complex. A huge improvement especially for online leagues, where teams will now have to bid for the services of the best personnel, instead of getting them on a "first-come, first-served" basis."

Also read some of these tantalizing features.

In-game Sound and other Play-by-Play Improvements

The silence is over for OOTPers who like to play out their games! Sound
has returned to the in-game experience. Listen to the crowd cheer as you
manage games, with a play-by-play engine that has been improved to include more natural flow and realistic play-calling. Sound changes dynamically based on the situation, so that a crowd in a playoff game will provide a much different experience than that in a Spring Training game. All in-game sound is optional, and is customizable.

Improved Historical Play

Several improvements have been made to the handling of historical
leagues, for example the addition of several new stats modifiers, solidifying OOTP's place as the most flexible, most realistic historical
baseball simulator.

Opening Day 2008 Major League Rosters

No more frustration over finding a MLB roster set! OOTP 9 will come with
a full set of real players, accurately filled down to the rookie leagues.
The set includes the complete Major League history, and even some history for certain minor leagues. Start Major League play with one click from the main screen!

This new version of the software sounds amazing. It will help make our league great. I cannot wait!!!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

I'm also greatly anticipating the new version. However, I'm still advising owners not to pre-order unless they know for sure they want the game for their own personal enjoyment. The reason is that I'm waiting for some more definitive descriptions of what improvements have been made (specifically as they relate to online leagues) and the status of a few key bugs in the current software. I hope to know enough to give the green light for PEBA owners to pre-order the game next week.

By the way, there's no official word yet but the rumor is that the new version of the game will be available in about a month. Take that with a grain of salt, of course.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Denny »

The other big big thing as far as PEBA is concerned is how readily OOTP8 leagues will port over to the new OOTP9 format--it sounds like the new version handles a lot of stuff very differently than the current one. Can an existing league like ours be converted easily--or at all?

Teams like Tempe and Kentucky might differ, but I'd hate to scrap everything we have now and start over in the new version.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

We certainly won't be scrapping anything. My understanding is OOTP 8 leagues will convert without issue, but that's certainly one thing I'll be checking on.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Duane »

Codgers wrote: Teams like Tempe and Kentucky might differ, but I'd hate to scrap everything we have now and start over in the new version.
We only dislike the shocking gap between small market and big market ... really can't compete ... otherwise I'll keep my players - lots of talent brewing
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

Certainly you can compete. Just because a team has a high payroll doesn't mean success. Right now a lot of teams with expensive payrolls are in a budget crunch, leaving a window of opportunity for lower budget teams with financial flexibility. It's not who's the biggest... it's who's the best run. :D
Matt
VIP
VIP

#7 Post by Matt »

teams like Oakland and Minnesota compete, in what are tough markets. Montreal had one hell of a team until it was wiped out by the Selig strike. Florida has won two championships. It's just knowing the rote you have to take. Develop, develop, develop.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Ghosts »

we've got a problem with the software and one of us can no longer export.

long story, but suffice to say the patch won't download correctly and we've tried everything.

we're going to have to purchase ootp 8 or 9...

1. any issue if we use 8?

2. any word if 9's release is imminent and, if so, would there be an issue with us using it?

thanks!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

Bears wrote:we've got a problem with the software and one of us can no longer export.

long story, but suffice to say the patch won't download correctly and we've tried everything.

we're going to have to purchase ootp 8 or 9...

1. any issue if we use 8?

2. any word if 9's release is imminent and, if so, would there be an issue with us using it?

thanks!
Before you purchase anything I strongly recommend that you make a post describing your problem in detail on the OOTP tech forum. The tech guy there is called "Nutlaw"; he may be able to assist you.

I do not recommend purchasing OOTP 8 at this time with OOTP 9 around the corner. There is no release date set for OOTP 9 and I'm not ready to promise that we will be migrating to that platform for our next season, but the possibility exists and it'd be better to wait until we know more.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Ghosts »

i appreciate the setiment, but the co-owner has tried everything and is ready to spend $20 (plus, we both cold use a version for secondary computers...now you know we're hooked) on ootp 8.

saying we do go ahead, is there any recommendation for how to do it? should we erase all ootp files from the computer and just re-load the league file from the website?

keep ootp 7/patch and just download ootp 8 and then load the game file that is already on the computer?

thanks!
Last edited by Ghosts on Fri May 16, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Duane »

whatever you do, make sure you load the patch for OOTP 8 also
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by John »

It should be a fairly simple process. Once you have the OOTP 8 setup files, install the program. Next, go to your OOTP 2007 "saved_games" directory. Cut the "PEBA.lg" directory and paste it into your new OOTP 8 "saved_games" directory. Now uninstall OOTP 2007 and delete all 2007 folders. You should be all set!

Just so we're clear, your co-owner is okay with spending $20 now and possibly another $25 very shortly for the OOTP 9 pre-order? I'm expecting to be able to give the go-ahead for pre-orders quite soon, so I want to be sure this is okay with him.

EDIT: The OOTP 8 setup files include the latest patch.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Ghosts »

thanks a million.

he says he's ok with it...and i'm not going to debate it with him anymore: it's his money

(and in case he's reading...i love him to death). :-o
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Ghosts »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:It should be a fairly simple process. Once you have the OOTP 8 setup files, install the program. Next, go to your OOTP 2007 "saved_games" directory. Cut the "PEBA.lg" directory and paste it into your new OOTP 8 "saved_games" directory. Now uninstall OOTP 2007 and delete all 2007 folders. You should be all set!

Just so we're clear, your co-owner is okay with spending $20 now and possibly another $25 very shortly for the OOTP 9 pre-order? I'm expecting to be able to give the go-ahead for pre-orders quite soon, so I want to be sure this is okay with him.

EDIT: The OOTP 8 setup files include the latest patch.
ok, the co-owner is getting a corrupt-file error when this happens. do you need to delete OOTP 7 before OOTP 8 can open the file correctly?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by John »

Bears wrote:ok, the co-owner is getting a corrupt-file error when this happens. do you need to delete OOTP 7 before OOTP 8 can open the file correctly?
That shouldn't be necessary. I was able to have both installed at the same time with no problem. Try re-downloading the setup file... sounds like it didn't come over right.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”