Gaming Laptop

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

Gaming Laptop

#1 Post by Zephyrs »

I am kicking around the idea of buying a gaming laptop for myself. Does anyone here do any laptop gaming? I would like to play Skyrim and would definitely want to play Fallout 4 when it is released. Can a laptop handle these types of games for around $1000 or should I just buy a PS4 or Xbox One?
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: Gaming Laptop

#2 Post by Rory »

Scott,

Are you thinking of a laptop for mobility reasons?
You can build a pretty good gaming PC at the $1000 mark.
I do a lot of online racing and built my computer for just that noble cause.

From my understanding gaming and laptops don't mesh well. Good games tend to eat them for lunch and gives them a short life span.

Regardless if you buy one already built(more expensive) or build your own, here are some links to some good info. Also find some forums for those games that you want to play and ask away. They're usually very helpful and know what is best for those games you referring to.

http://www.gamesradar.com/cheap-gaming-pc/

http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/started.php

http://pcpartpicker.com
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Mike Dunn »

I bought a gaming laptop a few years ago. Its a monster -- too heavy to lug around anywhere. But I wanted a laptop so I can game and other stuff while sitting on the couch watching a show or ballgame with the wife. She doesn't mind my gaming time as long as I'm in the same room ;).

Its a Toshiba Qosimo, but I don't know the model number (on vacation now, and I didn't take it with me). It plays Skyrim just fine, and just about anything I've thrown at it. Its a dual core, not quad core, with I believe 8G RAM. This is the latest version, I have an earlier model:

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/qosmio/X70

If you could get an earlier model used (with a warranty) you might be able to do it for $1000.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by roncollins »

Knights wrote:Scott,

I do a lot of online racing and built my computer for just that noble cause.
You're an RFactor guy, right?
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Site Admin

#5 Post by John »

Mike Dunn wrote:I bought a gaming laptop a few years ago. Its a monster -- too heavy to lug around anywhere. But I wanted a laptop so I can game and other stuff while sitting on the couch watching a show or ballgame with the wife. She doesn't mind my gaming time as long as I'm in the same room ;).

Its a Toshiba Qosimo, but I don't know the model number (on vacation now, and I didn't take it with me). It plays Skyrim just fine, and just about anything I've thrown at it. Its a dual core, not quad core, with I believe 8G RAM. This is the latest version, I have an earlier model:

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/qosmio/X70

If you could get an earlier model used (with a warranty) you might be able to do it for $1000.
I looked this up on eBay just for fun. There's an auction going for a like-new X70 that's currently at $1,000 (w/ free shipping) right now. Not a bad deal for what seems like a good gaming laptop.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#6 Post by Rory »

You're an RFactor guy, right?
Yes and i also have Assetto Corsa. Which is good but not really ready for multi player yet.
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by roncollins »

I'm considering getting back into iRacing.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Triple-A

#8 Post by Rory »

Ron I started a thread for online racing so we don't hijack Scott's thread. Sorry Scott.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#9 Post by Matt »

Mike Dunn wrote: She doesn't mind my gaming time as long as I'm in the same room ;).
Lucky you.

PEBA is it for me for hobby time. And when I crack open the laptop, the hands go on the hips and she gives me the stare.

"Again?" she always says.

"Just for a few minutes, it is my relax time." I reply.

"You spend more time with your fake baseball team than you do with me!" Is usually next, which is a bit of an exaggeration considering she has usually just dragged me from one end of town to the other over the previous 12 hours.

"Yeah, well their contract demands are more reasonable than yours" I reply.

At this point she usually just smiles that certain smile. The one which is sort of like an Italian mafia boss kissing you on the forehead. The one which makes you suddenly freeze as the realization hits you, oh dear god she has the credit cards.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Borealis »

Ocelots wrote:
Mike Dunn wrote: She doesn't mind my gaming time as long as I'm in the same room ;).
Lucky you.

PEBA is it for me for hobby time. And when I crack open the laptop, the hands go on the hips and she gives me the stare.

"You spend more time with your fake baseball team than you do with me!" Is usually next, which is a bit of an exaggeration considering she has usually just dragged me from one end of town to the other over the previous 12 hours.

At this point she usually just smiles that certain smile. The one which is sort of like an Italian mafia boss kissing you on the forehead. The one which makes you suddenly freeze as the realization hits you, oh dear god she has the credit cards.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#11 Post by Rory »

Mike Dunn wrote:
She doesn't mind my gaming time as long as I'm in the same room ;).

Lucky you.

lmao - good stuff
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Mike Dunn »

Ocelots wrote:
Mike Dunn wrote:At this point she usually just smiles that certain smile. The one which is sort of like an Italian mafia boss kissing you on the forehead. The one which makes you suddenly freeze as the realization hits you, oh dear god she has the credit cards.
:lol: !+)

When I push the game-time envelope too far the reaction is The Pout. Beware the Power of Pout.

But I know I'm lucky. Once when I still had a PEBA team I engaged in forum PM trade talk at the deadline on my laptop during our dinner. When I explained it was the trade deadline, she seemed to not mind.

But the luckiest is Kevin Vail, whose wife let him take part in the LRS draft one year on their honeymoon. Though I recall she went off shopping, so it cost him :lol: .
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Zephyrs »

Thanks to all that responded. I was out of town for a few days and just came back. Like Mike said, I am looking at a laptop so that I can be in the same room as the wife.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”