XCOM2!!!!!

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

XCOM2!!!!!

#1 Post by Bill »

XCOM 2 has been announced: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xcom-2 ... 0-6427724/

:-L

Awesome. XCOM: Enemy Unknown was probably my favorite game in the last 10 years (probably since Oblivion). 40yo humans should not wake up early specifically to clear a crashed spacecraft. I did. I can't wait for this. Release in November.

One controversial note: the game will NOT be made for consoles - PCs only (both Windows and Mac) - by first intent. They want to step up the customization of the game. I like playing on the console, but can probably adapt for this, particularly since it isn't a heavy action game.

Discuss. :clap:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XCOM2!!!!!

#2 Post by John »

Let's check out some gameplay footage, shall we?
Regarding it not showing up on consoles ... awesome. It's about time the best gaming platform got its own exclusive! Rock on, PC gaming! ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Bill »

Gamespot article about looting stealth and mod support:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xcom-2 ... EifQ%3D%3D
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#4 Post by Simon »

Angry Joe interviews Garth: link

On the side note, people around here mentioned Skyrim. The ones who enjoyed that game, should check The Witcher 3 (and 1, 2 for that matter, but they were not open world). Its even better :)
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by John »

Calzones wrote:On the side note, people around here mentioned Skyrim. The ones who enjoyed that game, should check The Witcher 3 (and 1, 2 for that matter, but they were not open world). Its even better :)
If I had even a moment of free time to be playing anything, it would be The Witcher 3. I've heard nothing but raves about it, and it's precisely the kind of game I dig. Someday ...
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Bill »

Just as a bump....this slated for release next week. I still haven't finished Fallout 4, but super looking forward to this release. Enemy Unknown/Within was one of my favorite games of the last few years. Watched a couple videos of some preview mission. Looks similar with some changes.

:clap:
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Hitmen »

Looking forward to this as well, I loved both of the recent XCOM titles. Being the attacker instead of the defender sounds appealing as well.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Apollos »

I am ashamed to admit I've never played any of the XCOMs. I did however purchase Xenonauts a couple years back and had a rage filled couple weeks playing that before I gave it up. Turns out I can't hack a game that's so challenging I can't make it more than a few turns without losing. Curious if XCOM plays out similarly?
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#9 Post by Simon »

50 Euro, eh..
Prices these days.. I dont think im gonna buy it right away.
Simon Kuliszewski
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Bill »

Sandgnats wrote:I am ashamed to admit I've never played any of the XCOMs. I did however purchase Xenonauts a couple years back and had a rage filled couple weeks playing that before I gave it up. Turns out I can't hack a game that's so challenging I can't make it more than a few turns without losing. Curious if XCOM plays out similarly?
I haven't played Xenonauts. My understanding is that is harder than XCOM. XCOM is meant to be hard, but does have easy difficulty where you can do more running and gunning. You do have to accept that some of your squad will die though. That is inevitable unless you save/reload a lot.
KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

#11 Post by KenH »

I finished a long war campaign in XCOM: EU... I'll probably pick up XCOM 2 at some point... may not be right away. Still feeling a little burnt out.
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by John »

The reviews are in!
IGN wrote:Thanks to a new spin on the same great tactical combat, plus unpredictable maps and randomized objectives and loot, XCOM 2 is an amazing game I’ll easily put hundreds of hours into.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun wrote:XCOM 2 is a classic in its own right and as good a sequel as I can remember.
The Escapist wrote:XCOM 2 improves on its predecessor in almost every way, and proudly stands as one of the most deeply satisfying action-strategy games currently available.
GameWatcher wrote:Could we already have a Game of the Year contender?
PC Gamer wrote:Exceptionally tough, rewarding strategy and a masterful reworking of the XCOM formula. We’ll play this forever.
Eurogamer wrote:XCOM 2 isn't a reworking of the original game, then - it's a genuine response to it. A response to us. Turns out Firaxis was on overwatch all along.
Yeah ... you might want to pick up a copy. :-L
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Bill »

Yeah, I've watched a couple pre-release videos of missions from the devs. Looks pretty sweet. Can't wait. Might hold off a couple weeks until I finish Fallout. But it won't be long. I am a sucker for potential Games of the Year. :grin:

(oh wait, I guess we all are, that's how they become Games of the Year :wink: )
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#14 Post by Simon »

I didnt try Xenonauts myself, but was very close to it. Heard there isnt much original stuff in this game compared to UFO: Enemy Unknown (yes, the original 1994 game).

About difficulty levels, i dont know anything about Xenonauts.
But i can say original UFO was way more difficult than XCOM. I remember in UFO i started new game over and over several times and never managed to go full distance. XCOM on the other hand didnt give me that much of a challenge to be honest. And i didnt play on easy :wink: Ofcourse there were few harder missions, but usually managed to suffer minimum casaulties. Especially later in the game, when my guys were geared up with some good stuff ;-D

On the side note: I dont trust biggest games reviews sites too much anymore :wink:
I'll at least watch some "Let's plays" on YT before i buy it.
Simon Kuliszewski

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”