Opening Day 2015

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Matt
VIP
VIP

Re: Opening Day 2015

#31 Post by Matt »

Featherheads wrote:Anyone catch Big Papi Ortiz playing 1B? I read he hasn't played the position in like 10 years? What was even stranger was that he made Red Sox history by not recording a putout as a 1B in the game. Apparently, Boston pitchers must have focused on inducing fly balls rather than grounders...
Saw that too. He actually hadn't played the position at home in 10 yrs, he has played it on the road in NL parks a few times. Incredibly ironic that he didn't record a single putout.
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#32 Post by Mike Dunn »

Yes, no put outs at first for an entire game is bizarre.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#33 Post by Borealis »

I think that's one of those 'something new every day' deals...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Matt
VIP
VIP

#34 Post by Matt »

Pablo who?

- sincerely, Matt Duffy
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#35 Post by Borealis »

Ocelots wrote:Pablo who?

- sincerely, Matt Duffy
:bang: :clap: :bang: :clap: :bang:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Matt
VIP
VIP

#36 Post by Matt »

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#37 Post by Borealis »

Awesome!

I knew that Panda and Hanley would be a bad combo - I bet Hanley's sour puss attitude is pulling the Kung Fu out of the Panda...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#38 Post by Matt »

Note to Dodgers...those aren't just footsteps your hearing, those are defending champion GIANTS footsteps your hearing. This second half of the season stuff, we got this!
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#39 Post by Borealis »

I love having you on our side, Matt - never afraid to talk sh*t!
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#40 Post by Arroyos »

Ocelots wrote:Note to Dodgers...those aren't just footsteps your hearing, those are defending champion GIANTS footsteps your hearing. This second half of the season stuff, we got this!
Matt, please stop raising people's hopes about the Giants. Just look at your calendar: odd number year. No Giant pennant. Got it?
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Matt
VIP
VIP

#41 Post by Matt »

Bulldozers wrote:
Ocelots wrote:Note to Dodgers...those aren't just footsteps your hearing, those are defending champion GIANTS footsteps your hearing. This second half of the season stuff, we got this!
Matt, please stop raising people's hopes about the Giants. Just look at your calendar: odd number year. No Giant pennant. Got it?
I don't buy into that Bob. Flukes that happened in odd years by mere random chance. If Posey doesn't get ran over in May, the Giants probably make a run in 2011. As it is, they still finished 10 games above .500 while getting outscored by 8 runs on the season. The offense was non-existent without Posey.

In 2013, the rotation showed major usage, as Lincecum was in the second year of his decline and Cain in the first year of his. You only have so many years of 200 innings in an arm. And Zito was our 4 and Vogelsong the 5. Give the Giants a mulligan on that one, can't win every year.

Both the offense and the pitching are deeper than both those years. I think the Giants learned lessons from both seasons. This might be the best offense we have had in SF during this run as far as how deep the batting order is top to bottom. Pablo who? The rotation might not be as intimidating as in some years past, but it's definitely deep with guys who can get the job done. We could use another arm to match up better in the playoffs, but hey, who doesn't. Bochy is approaching legendary status as a manager, this team is full of guys who know how to get the job done, I like our chances.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#42 Post by Matt »

Borealis wrote:I love having you on our side, Matt - never afraid to talk sh*t!
I froze my ### off in Candlestick way too many nights not to have a lot of fun with this Giants run. I remember a frigid May night where I got hit by a foul ball off the bat of Larry Walker. I saw it coming, I was way up the right field line. I was just too frozen to move. I tried, but I think hypothermia had already set in.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#43 Post by Borealis »

Ocelots wrote:
Borealis wrote:I love having you on our side, Matt - never afraid to talk sh*t!
I froze my ### off in Candlestick way too many nights not to have a lot of fun with this Giants run. I remember a frigid May night where I got hit by a foul ball off the bat of Larry Walker. I saw it coming, I was way up the right field line. I was just too frozen to move. I tried, but I think hypothermia had already set in.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know if he played in NY of ChiTown, all ESPN would be talking about is The DuffMan!!! Matt Duffy - en fuego!!!
Matt
VIP
VIP

#44 Post by Matt »

Borealis wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know if he played in NY of ChiTown, all ESPN would be talking about is The DuffMan!!! Matt Duffy - en fuego!!!
Hell, in Chicago he would be so overhyped that they would already have him elected to the HOF. (YES, Chicago annoys me. No way Sandberg or Dawson belong in the HOF.)
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#45 Post by Simon »

I dont know where Duffy and his hitting numbers came from, but ill take it. He doesnt look like great slugger to me but he just hit his 9th homer of the year last night.
Even pitchers in SF are hitting these days, 2 days ago MadBum hit his 3rd homer of the year, helping himself in 2-1 win vs Oakland. He's sitting on .754 OPS now, better than Pagan, Susac, McGehee, Arias, Sanchez and Maxwell.
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”