Pillars of Eternity

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

Pillars of Eternity

#1 Post by Simon »

If you like RPG games, especially classic D&D ones (Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale series, Planescape: Torment) you should definitely try Pillars of Eternity.
Its the dream come true for an RPG fan, the game i've been waiting for since Baldurs Gate 2.
Apparently i wasnt alone waiting, because Obsidian gathered almost 4 million $$ on the kickstarter to make this game. And it was well worth it.
It feels like i am playing BG3 that was sadly never made :wink:

Metacritic: 92/100
Game's official site
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Pillars of Eternity

#2 Post by Evas »

Calzones wrote:If you like RPG games, especially classic D&D ones (Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale series, Planescape: Torment) you should definitely try Pillars of Eternity.
Its the dream come true for an RPG fan, the game i've been waiting for since Baldurs Gate 2.
Apparently i wasnt alone waiting, because Obsidian gathered almost 4 million $$ on the kickstarter to make this game. And it was well worth it.
It feels like i am playing BG3 that was sadly never made :wink:

Metacritic: 92/100
Game's official site
I was in on the kickstarter and have been waiting on this one for a very long time.

I am so tempted to blow off work for a week to just dive straight in to it.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Bill »

Wow, looks pretty awesome. I need another game like I need a hole in my head, but this seems right up my wheelhouse. Nice that it has a Mac version too.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

You beat me to the punch, Simon. I have put in three nights with Pillars of Eternity and I was going to post an update about the game to The Crowdfunding Thread, but this thread should do nicely. Simon's absolutely right: this game is phenomenal.

And since you don't need me to tell you that, let me just make the point that Pillars of Eternity never happens without a successful crowdfunding campaign. We hear a lot about failed projects and I don't want to dismiss that reality because, yes, that happens, and it happens more than just once in a while. But let's not lose sight of the successes, be they Pillars, Oculus Rift, The Micro, or any number of other inventive new products.

Don't gamble with money you can't afford to lose, of course, and caveat emptor. But don't simply write off Kickstarter because it's a slow game with a lot of risk and you can get the product cheaper when it released. Remember, it may never release without your support!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#5 Post by Simon »

I wasnt actively waiting for this game (like for The Witcher 3). I heard about it for a first time about 9 months ago on Angry Joe's YT channel. It was E3 interview with the makers.
"Just another RPG game, looks nice but whatever". I moved on to the next video and forgot about it.

Now it was pure accident i found this game again and on the release day, while i was looking for something new to play.
"Pillars of Eternity, <random game title>, <random title #2>, <random...>. Wait a minute, i heard this name before...Pillars of Eternity..hmm".
So i looked into it on steam and then on the external site. I liked what i saw and downloaded it from torrents. Yes, its my usual behaviour: i steal the game and then i buy it :) Or not if i dont like it.

I played for about 30mins to 1 hour, most of that time spent on creating my character, but it was more than enough: "This is it, this is the game i've been waiting for for last 15 years!"
I love surprises like that :grin:

By the way it took me about the same amount of time to quit playing Dragon Age 3 and Drakensang 2 :)

EDIT:
Two "making of" videos (great stuff; even with baseball accent at the end):
link 1
link 2
Simon Kuliszewski
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Bill »

Well, I resisted buying this for ONE WHOLE DAY so far. :shock:
The chances of me resisting for a second day are pretty low.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Bill »

Well, I resisted for exactly 1.5 days. Purchased and installed last evening. Played about an hour or so on Easy with a ranger character. Seems pretty fun so far and who doesn't like to explore a creepy countryside with a lion in tow? A bit dark, though certainly no darker the Diablo. I would agree so far with the general consensus - good game!
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#8 Post by Simon »

Im playing with the Cipher on hard, few difficult fights at the beginning, but now its ok.

I dont like maps being so dark, cant see anything, especially during the night.
Simon Kuliszewski
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Evas »

I'm playing as a Wizard on Hard. I have had to punt on a couple encounters so far... just too weak. Then again, I just barely hit level 2.

It feels very familiar though so far. Very encouraging.
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#10 Post by Simon »

I just met one of the recruitable companions and she is a cipher like my character. She looks so interesting and i just cant have 2 ciphers in one party.
I knew it will happen, god damnit :cry:
Simon Kuliszewski
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by John »

I'm playing as a female dwarf paladin with an overdeveloped sense of justice. Needless to say, I am getting making myself unpopular rather quickly. :twisted:
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Evas »

I've had a few days with the game at this point and am absolutely loving it. They perfectly recaptured the Infinity engine style of play. I love these games.

It doesn't hurt that one of the biggest cultures in the game, focused on trading no less, is the "Vailian" culture. I can't tell you how happy that has made me. Too cool.
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#13 Post by Simon »

I wont be able to play for few weeks now :cry:
Before that i started over on Path of the Damned difficulty with rogue as my main character. His 1 target damage is really high, but at the same time he is pretty squishy, so i have to micromanage him pretty often during fights.

Small spoilers about difficulty levels and party composition (no story spoilers):
Hard difficulty became too easy for me. I read the forums a little and im not alone here. In most of the fights no one in my party dies, and if they do during most difficult fights, my fighter is unkillable with 100+ deflect now. They probably will make a patch and balance things a bit (or they did already), but if it becomes too easy for you after few first levels, better start over on higher difficulty level. I was already near the end of Act 2 when i decided to do this :(
If you wanna know my party was consisted of: Fighter, Paladin, Cipher (main character), Priest, Chanter, Wizard/Druid.
New one on Path of The Damned should look like this: Fighter(tank), Druid (secondary tank and caster), Rogue (main character), Priest(buffs), Cipher (CC and ranged dps), Ranger (ranged dps with animal companion as 3rd tank)
Simon Kuliszewski
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Bill »

Still chugging along with my ranger character on easy. My current status (party spoilers only):

Finished Act 1 and currently at level 4. Party is fighter and 2 animal companions for tanks, ranger (me) and NPC ranger ranged, wizard, chanter (also ranged). Not a great party make up. I don't like the chanter. I need some sort of better healer/protector type. I'd like a second melee NPC too. The animals are good tanks, but just don't damage well.

I've been party wiped a lot lately. I think I'm wandering into places I shouldn't be. I have a tendency to explore and not follow the story. I should go back to the story.
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#15 Post by Simon »

I liked my chanter, later he gets a song which improves attack speed/reload speed for ranged attacks. With 3 ranged guys in your party it would be great. Also at higher level he gets aoe paralise incantation.
You should have priest already, his buffs and heals really help. In my opinion a must have for every party.
Simon Kuliszewski

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”