Dumbest move of the NFL offseason

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: Dumbest move of the NFL offseason

#46 Post by Rory »

It's Joe by a long shot followed by Ronnie Lott.

K he's not on the QB chart but he still gets a mention anytime the 49ers come up. He'd have sooo many fines and suspensions in todays game that he'd owe more $$$ than he made. lol
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#47 Post by Borealis »

Knights wrote:It's Joe by a long shot followed by Ronnie Lott.

K he's not on the QB chart but he still gets a mention anytime the 49ers come up. He'd have sooo many fines and suspensions in todays game that he'd owe more $$$ than he made. lol
Ronnie was a demon!! Such a great player. Some might consider this blasphemous, but that first Super Bowl season for the Niners was probably more due to the 3 rookie DB's (Lott, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson) than 'Big Sky' Montana (yes - there was a fan vote of some sort - I don't recall who ran it, it's been a while - but 'Big Sky' was the winner... Never took...). Put Ronnie right up there with 'Flash 80'...

Suddenly this thread has become less dumb...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Matt
VIP
VIP

#48 Post by Matt »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... Redirect=1

You could really sense the natives in Philadelphia getting restless at the end of the Miami game. Last weeks result didn't help matters. Anonymous players say he has lost the locker room. Which doesn't surprise me because of incidents last year when players on defense openly complained about being on the field too much because his offense never eats clock. I can easily see the locker room imploding on him. Kelly thinks he is smarter than everyone else, and being a cocky sob doesn't endear you to the people who you need to have your back when the going gets tough.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Twenty years ago he would probably have gotten another season to turn it around. In today's NFL, I would put the odds at 50/50 on whether he makes it to January.
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#49 Post by Mike Dunn »

Yeah, here in Philly we're looking toward the post-Chip era. THE big offseason question will be whether Jeff Lurie pulls the plug and sends Chip back to the college ranks.

Chip won 10 games in each of first two seasons, but only made the playoffs in year one, with mainly inherited players. In year two he got into a battle with GM Howie Roseman, Lurie then sided with Chip and demoted Roseman, and Chip the coach must live with the players brought in by Chip the GM.

There's all sorts of nasty stuff going on. Players are speaking anonymously to reporters. Some are bitching that DeMarco Murray is dogging it; they point out that he slid feet first at the end of a run two weeks ago rather than power through head first. Last week some players were seen laughing and chumming it up with opponents during and after the humiliating loss. A linesman faulted fans for booing, then apologized. And "QB" Mark Sanchez, who's known mainly for throwing interceptions, gets into a shouting match on the field with RB Darrell Sproles -- because of pass to Sproles that was intercepted. Sanchez later apologized.

So the ship is not only sinking, water is flooding in. Jump, Jeff, jump.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#50 Post by Mike Dunn »

More bad stuff here (or good if you dislike the team ;) ):
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015 ... hort_index
Mike Dunn

Matt
VIP
VIP

#51 Post by Matt »

Mike Dunn wrote:More bad stuff here (or good if you dislike the team ;) ):
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015 ... hort_index
Fwiw, I do not hate the team. It was just a situation I saw in the off season that i had a strong opinion about.
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#52 Post by Mike Dunn »

Ocelots wrote:Fwiw, I do not hate the team. It was just a situation I saw in the off season that i had a strong opinion about.
No worries, I didn't mean that at you or anyone. But I think a lot of people within the NFL didn't like Chip's smug know-it-all-ness, they didn't like the media anointing him a genius, and some are now enjoying the hot mess he's in.
Mike Dunn

Matt
VIP
VIP

#53 Post by Matt »

Chip certainly has the type of personality that isn't going to help him. He has rubbed players the wrong way, other coaches the wrong way, engineered a power struggle in the front office, etc. Cockiness just isn't a trait that wins you many friends. Even if he is as smart as he thinks he is, some humility would go a long way.

That said, I am still more critical of the moves he made than i am his personality. Regardless of where anyone may see value, changing your qb, rb, and top wr all in the same off season is never a good idea. Team building takes time, and it also takes continuity. The more key pieces you change at one time, the more likely you create an unnecessary disaster. Maybe you can do that in the college ranks, not the pros. Same in baseball, see last seasons Padres. About the only sport you can get away with that, maybe, is basketball.
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#54 Post by Coqui »

All that being said, I would love to see Chip Kelly back in the college game at Mizzou. Heck, I hear the jobs of University President and Chancellor are open, too. Maybe he could fill those roles.

FWIW, the Foles/Bradford trade continues to be a trade that both teams have managed to lose. At least the Rams got a draft pick as boot in the deal. Of course, they'll manage to use that draft pick to draft a superfluous defensive player rather than a good QB, WR, or OL. Sigh.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Matt
VIP
VIP

#55 Post by Matt »

How goofy is the sports news reporting these days? Everyone is in such a hurry to get the story first, that I am certain at least 80% of what they write they are pulling directly out of their ###.

Just this morning I am reading about an anonymous source (of course, the ever reliable anonymous source) saying that USC had reached out to Chip Kelly. And then 6 hours later I wake up from a nap and find out Helton has been given the USC job full time, losing the interim tag.
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#56 Post by Mike Dunn »

Unless Chip manages to win the NFC East (which, strangely, is still possible) I can't imagine Lurie will bring him back. Which is fine for everyone involved.

But honestly, if Bradford is still hurt, I don't see why Chip doesn't call up Tim Tebow again and jettison Mark Sanchez. Sanchez is beyond horrible. Anyone would be better. Hell, use some third stringer who QB'd in high school.

Meanwhile the big rumor involving Missouri in this town is that Temple coach Matt Rhule is being lured to coach them. I think Mizzou would be better off with Matt than Chip. He has worked miracles at Temple.

I attended Temple as a freshman many years ago, and actually will be teaching a class there come January, so I'm hoping Rhule stays. The school is said to be putting a pretty big raise offer on the table to keep him in town.
Mike Dunn

Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#57 Post by Coqui »

Mike Dunn wrote:Unless Chip manages to win the NFC East (which, strangely, is still possible) I can't imagine Lurie will bring him back. Which is fine for everyone involved.

But honestly, if Bradford is still hurt, I don't see why Chip doesn't call up Tim Tebow again and jettison Mark Sanchez. Sanchez is beyond horrible. Anyone would be better. Hell, use some third stringer who QB'd in high school.

Meanwhile the big rumor involving Missouri in this town is that Temple coach Matt Rhule is being lured to coach them. I think Mizzou would be better off with Matt than Chip. He has worked miracles at Temple.

I attended Temple as a freshman many years ago, and actually will be teaching a class there come January, so I'm hoping Rhule stays. The school is said to be putting a pretty big raise offer on the table to keep him in town.
It looks like Rhule is out of the running for the Mizzou job, although Mizzou did meet with him. It was unclear whether Missouri pulled the plug or Rhule was not interested. My sense is that there was never really any fire there, and not much smoke either. One Mizzou booster that I know well was in love with Rhule. At the moment, it looks like the Mizzou job will go to an internal hire, D-Coord Barry Odom, who played for Pinkel and is a hot coaching candidate himself - if Mizzou doesn't hire him, he's destined to follow Fuentes at Memphis. It's probably the right call, given all of the uncertainty that might have external candidates nervous (i.e. new AD who hasn't even been on the job a full year, no President, no Chancellor) and the presumed quality of Odom. That "presumed quality" is not meant to be a dig - Odom's resume is outstanding, it's just that youneverknow with guys who have never been head coaches before.

Mizzou supposedly reached out to Mark Richt (which should have been a no-brainer to reach out, at least), and Utah State's young head coach.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#58 Post by Mike Dunn »

After three straight losses to mediocre teams, the Eagles go to New England and top Tom Brady and his boys. Go figure. Thus possibly saving Chip Kelly's job for another year. And with the Giants loss, the Eagles still have a shot at the NFC East title.

What a game.
Mike Dunn

Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#59 Post by Bill »

Well, scoring three non-offensive TDs is a recipe for winning against most teams (though very hard to do more than once)
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#60 Post by Mike Dunn »

Warriors wrote:Well, scoring three non-offensive TDs is a recipe for winning against most teams (though very hard to do more than once)
Indeed. This doesn't make the Iggles a good team, by any means.

It does, though, show how much Brady needs Gronk.
Mike Dunn

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”