New job with OOTPD - thank you PEBA!

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: New job with OOTPD - thank you PEBA!

#16 Post by Denny »

Awesome news! :clap:
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Bill »

Badgers wrote: Bill, I think we'll definitely still rely on volunteers for text contributions..there are a TON of places to write text in games and there can always be more ... And since I'm working for all three games, OOTP, FHM and BTS, there's definitely going to lots of different avenues for me and also lots of work to do for willing volunteers.
Oh man, don't I know it....you are preaching to the choir. Little known fact...I wrote most of the text for the historical summaries that pop-up when you start a historical game. Doesn't look like much in the game. But it took me 20-30 minutes per year and I wrote about 100 seasons. 50+ volunteer hours for a little dinky thing that half of OOTP players don't even see. The only way I got it done was because I was between jobs at the time. There are probably tens of thousands of volunteer hours of text in OOTP alone.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#18 Post by Matt »

Cool stuff Cole. Congratulations.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#19 Post by Cole »

Warriors wrote: Oh man, don't I know it....you are preaching to the choir. Little known fact...I wrote most of the text for the historical summaries that pop-up when you start a historical game. Doesn't look like much in the game. But it took me 20-30 minutes per year and I wrote about 100 seasons. 50+ volunteer hours for a little dinky thing that half of OOTP players don't even see. The only way I got it done was because I was between jobs at the time. There are probably tens of thousands of volunteer hours of text in OOTP alone.
I definitely did not know that. And as a non-historical player I'm part of the half that unfortunately hasn't seen that much.

But yes, there is definitely a huge, huge volunteer effort that has gone into these games. I just hope I can help direct that and build on it in that role. Should be fun.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#20 Post by roncollins »

The PEBA has to rank exceedingly high among total work hours provided to the OOTP cause. I would suggest it's #1 by a mile, but I really can't say that with any certainty these days.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Hall of Famer

#21 Post by Mike Dunn »

Congrats Cole, that's great ;-D .
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#22 Post by Simon »

Wow, congratulations! :clap:
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#23 Post by Cole »

Just bumping this up with something new, well.. new to the forum anyway, but I've been in the role for a while ...

As I had said in this thread I got the job as the text writer/editor ...

A short time after I was in that role, Markus and company asked me if I'm also like to take on the role of marketing/PR for the hockey game, Franchise Hockey Manager, taking over from Brad, who instead wanted to focus on OOTP and the new football franchise.

I gave it some thought and in the end decided to do it ... So yeah, I'm keeping extremely busy with OOTP these days (in addition to my full-time "day" job).

I'm hoping to keep as up to date with PEBA happenings as I typically do, but if my participation wanes a bit, you will know why ... especially around release time of FHM 2, things will no doubt be pretty hectic.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#24 Post by Borealis »

Well... That's pretty darn exciting!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#25 Post by Evas »

That is so cool.

Great to see OOTPD expanding too.

I am very excited about the upcoming Football game. OOTP has added so much to my understanding baseball Front Office strategy. If they can bring the same thing to Football, I'll gladly buy year after year.
Last edited by Evas on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#26 Post by John »

I have been following your posts in the FHM thread, Cole. You're doing a fantastic job. I credit you for keeping your temper at some of the boneheaded comments that would set many other people off. (e.g. "I haven't played FHM 2 yet but I know it will be terrible so I'm not buying it, kthnxbye.") :roll:

And boy, your work in OOTP 16 is outstanding. What a difference some well-written text makes! You guys really have to see it in action. I am not exaggerating to say that OOTP 16 will be the best version of the game yet. Cole is a big reason why.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#27 Post by Cole »

John wrote:I have been following your posts in the FHM thread, Cole. You're doing a fantastic job. I credit you for keeping your temper at some of the boneheaded comments that would set many other people off. (e.g. "I haven't played FHM 2 yet but I know it will be terrible so I'm not buying it, kthnxbye.") :roll:

And boy, your work in OOTP 16 is outstanding. What a difference some well-written text makes! You guys really have to see it in action. I am not exaggerating to say that OOTP 16 will be the best version of the game yet. Cole is a big reason why.
Thanks John, you're too kind. Although I'd have to say OOTP 16 being the best yet, Markus is the big reason why.. But I'm doing what I can :lol:

I agree with you though, the game is going to be great. It's really cool to be involved with the inner workings of what essentially is my favourite game of all time.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#28 Post by Lions »

John is right, you're doing a fantastic job. Congrats!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
richard_v
Double-A
Double-A

#29 Post by richard_v »

Have to say hockey is something I know nothing about apart from the seeing odd Bruin tweet, but it's pretty awesome to see you rising the OOTPD ranks! Well done

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”