New job with OOTPD - thank you PEBA!

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

New job with OOTPD - thank you PEBA!

#1 Post by Cole »

So, as some of you might be aware, a couple months ago Markus made a posting in the OOTPD forums about how they were seeking a part-time text editor/writer for OOTPD games going forward.

Well, as I am a journalist with an interest in simulation games who spends (or wastes) a lot of my free time on the Internet, I figured I'd apply.

I ended up being selected as one of three finalists for the position. From there we had a four-week long trial to see who did the best work and would get the position, where we wrote text for the games (a little bit of OOTP, but mostly FHM stuff) in the actual editor.

Long story short, I ended up coming out on top of that and now have a new part-time writing role with OOTPD!

I'm pretty happy about it, as I do enjoy the work, and it will help the games get better, while also helping me make some extra money for my young family.

My 'thank you' to PEBA comes from the fact that in my application I submitted a couple of my PEBA writings. I am certain that the prestige factor of this league and the great writing it allows us all to do definitely played a role in me getting my foot in the door. So thank you all for making this great league what it is!

And now, on a professional note, if you ever see a text/league news related mistake in OOTP, FHM or BTS, or if you have ideas for stories or storylines, or anything you would like to see improved... Please feel free to get in touch and I'l do what I can. Thanks!
Last edited by Cole on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

Re: New job with OOTPD - thank you PEBA!

#2 Post by Coqui »

Wow! That's awesome, Cole! Congratulations!
James
GM San Juan Coqui
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by roncollins »

Outstanding! This league is a truly remarkable collection of folks.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Evas »

Wow that is fantastic. Congratulations!
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
richard_v
Double-A
Double-A

#5 Post by richard_v »

Wow that's pretty epic! well done!
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Lions »

Wow, this is just great! Congrats, Cole!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Borealis »

That is So Incredibly Cool, Cole!!! Congrats!!! May you not pull a flexor digitorum while helping an elderly lady across the street with her groceries on the eve of the playoffs... 8)
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Zephyrs »

Very impressive Cole!
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Leones »

Well done Cole! That put a much needed smile on my mug today. Congratulations! :bang:
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Bill »

Awesome.... :clap: Many congrats! Good, now they won't have to rely on volunteer clowns like me to write text for them.
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Apollos »

Congrats Cole, that's excellent news! I'm sure in your new position you'll be privy to many details regarding the upcoming BTS game and will be sharing those with us posthaste :wink:
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#12 Post by Alleghenies »

Congratulations!
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Cole »

Thanks for all the support guys, appreciate it.

Bill, I think we'll definitely still rely on volunteers for text contributions..there are a TON of places to write text in games and there can always be more ... And since I'm working for all three games, OOTP, FHM and BTS, there's definitely going to lots of different avenues for me and also lots of work to do for willing volunteers.

I haven't talked with Markus and company about this, but I assume around beta times I'll merely co-ordinate the efforts of the beta writing volunteers, whilst also of course doing the majority of the work of work myself.

And of course continuing to work on and fix text items throughout the year.

I know there are a ton of great writers who have already done tons of work in the game, so hopefully they'll stick around.

And Brian, I definitely will have the inside track on some BTS info...But of course I'm under NDA
:D Maybe if you let me win the division some time I'll be more willing to chat, haha.

Jokes aside, I think people will need to temper their expectations for the new football game. Even in the questions Francis has answered in the public forum there are a lot of features/things that people enjoy in other games that won't be in V1, and that's just the nature of building a first version from the ground up.

I have no doubt it will be a solid game and with the great qualities of OOTPD will no doubt be the premier American football sim in time, but it might take a couple versions to get things where everyone hopes. I just hope people don't get themselves too caught up in thinking/assuming BTS1 is going to be the equivalent of OOTP15.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by John »

Wow, wow, wow! Cole, this is awesome! You've achieved what I'm trying to: parlaying your PEBA experience into realized professional ambition. I couldn't be happier for you. My heartiest congratulations, and keep us informed on how things go (at least as far as your NDA allows)!
Badgers wrote:Jokes aside, I think people will need to temper their expectations for the new football game. Even in the questions Francis has answered in the public forum there are a lot of features/things that people enjoy in other games that won't be in V1, and that's just the nature of building a first version from the ground up.

I have no doubt it will be a solid game and with the great qualities of OOTPD will no doubt be the premier American football sim in time, but it might take a couple versions to get things where everyone hopes. I just hope people don't get themselves too caught up in thinking/assuming BTS1 is going to be the equivalent of OOTP15.
I hope people take this advice to heart. BTS has promise and I would hate to see it launch the way FHM has, with acrimony and accusations of promises unfulfilled. Francis just needs time and space to do his good work and put out a solid first effort. Meanwhile, people need to be realistic about what a first version of such a complicated endeavor entails. We're all reasonable people here ... let's hope most of the other patiently waiting fans are reasonable, too.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#15 Post by Rory »

Cole this is awesome. Congrats

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”