THE ARBITRATION GAME IS OVER AND MOST OF US ARE RELIEVED

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#31 Post by Duane »

Congrats Cyclones ... that is awesome!!!
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#32 Post by John »

Apparently I'm the only one who underestimated his awards! :-P
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#33 Post by Coqui »

Longshoremen wrote:MR Francisco Perez- Current: $1.9mil Guess: $1.5mil (if his goes up I will cry).
Thankfully, it did not. Was Perez the only one to take a step back in arbitration?
Matt
VIP
VIP

#34 Post by Matt »

No, I know that Yuan for the Knights stepped back some, maybe a half mil or so if I remember right.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#35 Post by Tyler »

The afore-mentioned Mathys Crete of the Coal Sox saw his salary drop, after a pretty decent season, too. I suspect it was because he finished the year in the bullpen.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#36 Post by Matt »

Crete sees his go down, while Peters, who was hurt all season, gets a raise.
Much like free agency which is way too wonky in this game, I will never do arbitration again. The player will either sign or be dealt, I'm not leaving my financial fate to the whimsy of some erraticly written piece of code.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#37 Post by Tyler »

Calzones wrote:Crete sees his go down, while Peters, who was hurt all season, gets a raise.
Much like free agency which is way too wonky in this game, I will never do arbitration again. The player will either sign or be dealt, I'm not leaving my financial fate to the whimsy of some erraticly written piece of code.
I don't think it's as straightforward as that. Like real life, arbitration is about service time first, ability second (see: Case Blake, 2008 salary). Peters was in his final year of arbitration; Crete received his first arby award last night.
Sandgnats (Bill)

#38 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

WEIRD-WILD-STUFF!
I mentioned the Peters thing in my edited original post here. In case anyone's too lazy to look.. Peters(although the top rated closer in PEBA), who pitched 3 innings was awarded $5.4 M while by far and away the best SP in PEBA-Conan McCullough receives $5.8 M!!! Can anyone put rhyme or reason to that?

A weird situation happened locally for me. We have Bryan Stewart(who was fortunate enough to land the golden arm award) and he was looking for a 3 yr deal for $10,820,000 a year. But, obviously we wanted him to stay longer. We tried many times reconstructing things for a 4 year deal but he wouldn't bite. He was stead fast on 3 years. We tried everything and it came down to this last sim and we caved and just met his demand.
So he was slated to make$10,820,000 for 2008-2010, right?
What does he do? He goes to arbitration(we thought the deal would pick up before the arbee filings kicked in) and is awarded $6,048,000 and then accepts our 3 year deal for $10.82 a year. So, we got a huge break.

We ended up geting him for an extra year (2011)!
On an earlier deal, we offered up $12.5/year for 4 years plus incentives. A total of $50M minimally for 4 years and now he ends up with.....
The next 4 years for $38.5 M!! What in the hell was he thinking?

I've learned that the arbitration awards are FAR from current value[see Bryan Stewart(CL)-Conan McCullough(NO)-Edward Coleman(NO)-Chandler Davis(NO)], but figuring out some sort of consistent table where we can confidently guage their new award. Good luck!
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#39 Post by Ghosts »

Coal Sox wrote: Peters was in his final year of arbitration; Crete received his first arby award last night.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but...this was Crete's second arbitration.

(Also, he spent 80% of the year in the bullpen...I think that's the secret. That's the only way to explain why Jack Cobb is now making more than he is...arbitration depends not so much on "what" you give, but "how much" of it you give. Though this doesn't explain Peters.)
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#40 Post by Tyler »

Bears wrote:
Coal Sox wrote: Peters was in his final year of arbitration; Crete received his first arby award last night.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but...this was Crete's second arbitration.
My bad. :oops:

I think, just like real life, lots of arby numbers make no sense based on current value.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”