Clone Baseball League

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Clone Baseball League

#1 Post by DanD »

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet. I'm not finished reading it yet, but it looks like it's going to be a good one.

Dangerous Experiment: A Roster of 25 Adam Dunns

Edit: Yup. It was great.
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Clone Baseball League

#2 Post by Mike Dunn »

Bureaucrats wrote:Not sure if anyone has posted this yet. I'm not finished reading it yet, but it looks like it's going to be a good one.

Dangerous Experiment: A Roster of 25 Adam Dunns

Edit: Yup. It was great.
That was great. Thanks for posting.

I love this one (posted with spoiler tags so as not to spoil anything):

Gordon suffered the following injuries: a torn labrum, a herniated disc, a sore wrist, biceps tendinitis, a forearm strain, two damaged elbow ligaments, two mild hamstring strains, a sore ankle, a sore forearm, acute elbow soreness, a sort thumb, a strained hamstring, a wild calf strain, an intercostal strain, and a tired arm.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#3 Post by Cole »

I just saw that today, hilarious. It's a pretty neat idea and shows the complete power of how many different ways our little sim can be played.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Borealis »

Just read this with my son at today's Giants-ChiSox game - after laughing about Dunn playing right field. Awesome idea - made us wonder what a historical one might look like... But you'd have to ban the Babe - they'd go undefeated, me thinks....
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by Alleghenies »

What an interesting idea. The closest thing I have ever done was create a league, turned off injuries, fatigue and trading and simulated something like 30 seasons and recorded all the team statistics. Then I would change various things one at a time like a ballpark factor in a pitching team and sim for another 10 seasons and record the results. I can also remember several other things like seeing if a defensive SS with poor hitting was more effective than a good hitting SS with average defensive capabilities and several other things.

I do not have the results any longer, but I remember that I came to the conclusion that baseball is just too random to notice any significant difference over a relatively small sample size and gave up the project. I probably would have had to sim at least 100 seasons of each to average out the randomness to determine what is better than what. To me, this random quality of baseball is what makes it magical and why I love it so much. Now I just shoot from the hip. Who knows, maybe my team is bad because of me, or maybe it is just having a bad year and would come around next year if I could just not tinker with it, but I'll never know because I always tinker.

Anyway, I wish I had more of a creative mind and had thought to do something fun like what the author did with simulating a crazy season instead of wasting my time recording stats that in the end did not tell me anything.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Denny »

I just read this....I can't remember the last time I laughed this hard. Thanks for posting it Dan! :lol:
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by roncollins »

This is awesome. Wish I would have thought of it. :)
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
All-Star

#8 Post by Apollos »

Still, it gave us Adam Dunn, Gold Glove-winning center fielder, and that’s enough. Thank you, OOTP.
Great stuff, thanks for highlighting this one, Dan.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Borealis »

And on a similar theme...

25 Shortstops - Twinkie Town
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#10 Post by Nigel »

Brilliant experiment ! can't we do this in the PEBA ? Each pick our worst player and clone him into a team, that should keep us entertained in the close season lol :clap:
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”