AAR: Hull City Tigers

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

AAR: Hull City Tigers

#1 Post by Reg »

I am playing FM2014, I will be taking on the manager role at Hull City Tigers.

Breaking news:

Hull City is changing directions at manager despite current success. Hull recently won promotion into the Premier league under the guidance of Steve Bruce. However, anonymous sources have stated that there was not a harmonious relationship between ownership and Bruce. The ownership has been pushing a name change and Bruce has been reluctant to get behind the movement. Apparently, the Allam’s have decided a change in leadership was needed.

Who they choose has left everyone scratching their heads. Thirty three year old, American born Paul Tanner, who is unknown by any team will take the helm. “I am a huge Football Manager fan, and have recently taken up watching the Barclays Premier league on the television...or err the telly as you guys say it over here. I am also about halfway through Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson, so I would say I am pretty qualified.”

Hull City fans are at a loss for words, but have declared they would stay loyal to their club, no matter who the manager happened to be at the time.

When asked about formation and tactics he had planned for the upcoming season, Tanner was open and eager to discuss. “4-5-1 with a defensive midfielder at the bottom of the midfield triangle. Or should that be at the point...pivot...either way...looking at maybe Huddlestone taking on the role as a Regista.”

Critics have decried that the 4-5-1 will be too negative of a tactic to earn the points needed to avoid the drop this season. Tanner argued back, “Where a player starts in terms of position and how he plays that role and what duty he is given will really determine the negativity of a tactic. I won’t be parking any buses this season, even though we have too really tough opponents to kick off the year.”

It seems that Bruce was looking towards playing a 3-5-2 so personnel would seemingly match up well, but Tanner is not guaranteeing any players a spot. He is somewhat limited in terms of funds for transfers (rumoured to be around 8 million) and payroll. But he is not against seeing some players on loan terminated to free up space.

In a week, the Tigers will be taking on Swiss side Basel, which should offer one of the tougher challenges during the preseason tune up.
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: AAR: Hull City Tigers

#2 Post by Reg »

Hull City 2- Basel 0

Hull City dominated this early season tune up allowing Basel just 3 shots none of which were on target. Danny Graham scored a bit of freak goal as he slipped and fell in front of goal and the attempted clearance carromed off of him and back into the goal. Interesting way to begin the tenure of Tanner.

Yannick Sagobo was subbed in the 72 minute and bashed a goal into the back of the net. The goal combined with his performance earned him the star of the match. Altogether, Hull shot 14 times, six of which were on target.

“It’s a friendly, but it was good to pick up the win and see the guys in action. There are certainly already questions forming in my mind about certain positions and we shall see who those questions are answered in the next few weeks.”
Last edited by Reg on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Reg »

Friendly #2-Hull City 5- Roda JC 1

Hull once again dominated the field of play, allowing just one shot from the Dutch side of Roda JC. Unfortunately, it also found the mark and snuck past Mark Gardener. Mostly the fingers were pointed at a lack of good marking by right back Liam Rosenior. It was however, of little consequence because Yannick Sagobo, who had replaced Danny Graham at striker and had a hat trick before the first whistle for half. He managed one more before he was subbed out at the 70 minute, earning him his second player of the match. Team captain Robert Koran finished off the scoring.

Tanner indicated that a change in tactics from the first to the second game may have influenced the scoring outburst. “We inserted Sagobo and gave him the role of advanced forward, Graham had been playing the much loved and newly acclaimed “false 9” but I felt that might be a little too negative for our side. Also, Messi doesn’t play in Hull and so it makes little sense to capitalize on a system success built around a type of player we didn’t have. The advanced forward role actually gives our team a sort of counter attacking edge, even when we are playing our normal strategy.”

The switch to advanced forward may have spelt the end of the Graham’s loan spell as he fit the bill more of a target man.
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Reg »

Hull City acquires Alexander Tettey from Norwich City

Alexander Tettey (MC, DM) was acquired from Norwich for a transfer fee of 4.1 million dollars. The fee is not a team record but is close and equaled about half of the total transfer budget for the whole year. Tettey’s value is listed at 4.9 million so the Tigers were able to pry him away for a slight discount.

“It’s not secret that we were a little thin in the midfield area, especially in the wide midfield areas. Aluko, Sagobo, Elmohamaday are options but they may be suited better in other places. Robert Koren is able to fill in wide at both sides of the pitch so another center midfield player allows flexibility with Koren. The acquisition of Tettey also makes room for Huddlestone to play up in the pyramid rather than at the back, producing more chances for scoring runs.”

Tettey certainly has the defensive chops to bolster the back line and connect it with the scoring thrusts so he is fully expected to contribute often and with great consistency.

“It is a big capture for Hull, but it does hit us a bit in the transfer budget. I am not saying we won’t acquire anyone else, but I am say any new signings will be limited.”
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Reg »

Friendly #3- Hull City 3 - AFC Wimbledon 0

The team is still learning all the ins and out of the 4-5-1 but Tettey does allow Huddlestone to move forward more which result in his first goal scored in the preseason. Two other goals are knocked in from long range one from Alex Bruce (former boss Steve Bruce’s son) and Maynor Figueroa who is making a strong case to become the starting left winger. Wimbledon was outclassed and only had 4 total shots, none on target.

Liam Ridgewell signed from West Brom for 3.8 mil

Tanner spends the remainder on Ridgewell hoping to shore up the left side of the field. Ridgewall allows Maynor Figueroa to move up to left winger. Ridgewell brings another veteran presence, someone who knows what it means to compete in the Premier league.

In order to accommodate Ridgewell’s transfer, Tanner terminated the loan of Gedo and Danny Graham. Graham had technically scored the first goal of the Tanner era, but it was a wacky one and he didn’t seem to fit into the tactics that were going to be carried out.

Friendly #4 - Hull City 2, FC Istres OP 1
Friendly #5 - Hull City 5, Winterton 1
Friendly #6 - Hull City 2, North Ferriby 0

Hull City finished the pre season undefeated outscoring teams 19-3. The final two friendlies were a hodge podge of squads due to seven players being called up to compete in international competition.
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Reg »

Hull City Starting 11 (7) subs

Pkd Name Position
GK Allan McGregor GK
DR Ahmed Elmohamady D/WB/M/AM (R)
DCR Alex Bruce D (C)
DCL Curtis Davies D (C)
DL Liam Ridgewell D (LC)
DM Alexander Tettey DM, M (C)
MR Yannick Sagbo ST (C)
MCR Tom Huddlestone DM, M (C)
MCL Robert Koren M (RC), AM (C)
ML Maynor Figueroa D (LC), WB/M (L)
STC Sone Aluko M (L), AM (LC), ST (C)
S1 Eldin Jakupovic GK
S2 Jake Livermore DM, M (C)
S3 David Meyler DM, M (C)
S4 Paul McShane D (RC)
S5 George Boyd M/AM (LC), ST (C)
S6 Matty Fryatt ST (C)
S7 Joe Dudgeon D (L)
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

I really enjoy these recaps because I'm terribly ignorant about the beautiful game. The recaps give me a chance to learn through and read cool stories at the same time. Keep them coming!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Reg »

Premier League Game One - vs. Chelsea (at Home)

“It’s hard not to be a little star struck...I mean Mourinho is one of the best managers right now, and he has a great side to send out on Saturday. Right now, at this point in time, we are the little fish in the big pond and Chelsea is a shark,” commented Tanner.

For some, such talk hints that maybe Tanner has given up on winning the game before the first kick. Others simply agree and look forward in the schedule, past next weeks game at Man City, to a Capital One match up versus Bournemouth with any real hope of a victory.

But Tanner counters his own thoughts, “Davids beat goliaths all the time, and Hull City needs to be about the business of showing they belong in the top league. The challenge to my boys is that win or lose we are going to give them one heck of a game!”

It seems unlikely that Tanner will deviate from his beloved 4-5-1 versus Chelsea, though some would say being locked in on a single tactic makes the opposing manager’s job very easy. But Hull City’s defense has been pretty tight in their warm up friendlies so the question will be how well Hull executes versus Chelsea’s talented attackers.

Chelsea will most likely be fielding a 4-2-3-1 and will send out Eto’o, Hazard, Mata, and Oscar to crack open the Hull City defense. However, Hull will be putting pressure on the flanks and Hazard and Oscar may be needed to contain the attack of the wingers if Sagobo and Figueroa can play well.

Hull is slotted as slight underdogs despite homefield advantage. The Premier league has chose this match up to be shown as the first game on Saturday, perhaps an homage to Mourinho. The Circle will be close to capacity but not quite sold out.

Make your own predictions now: (Feel free to test out your football prediction skills)

Who wins? How many goals will be scored? And by who?
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Reg »

John wrote:I really enjoy these recaps because I'm terribly ignorant about the beautiful game. The recaps give me a chance to learn through and read cool stories at the same time. Keep them coming!
I do recommend checking out this book. The author traces how soccer has developed strategically through historical lines...I really am only half way through but it is a fascinating mix of history and innovation...as well as how cultural undertones are demonstrated in sports.
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#10 Post by Apollos »

I'm onboard - digging the AAR. ;-D

I'll say Hull holds onto a nil-nil draw with neither team able to mount a significant attack.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Denny »

I too am following with interest--in the past couple years I have just begun following Premier League soccer (let's go Everton!) and am slowly learning mainly through coverage in Grantland.

Doesn't Hull City have some sort of weird situation where the new owner changed the team name and the fans were outraged?
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Reg »

Codgers wrote:I too am following with interest--in the past couple years I have just begun following Premier League soccer (let's go Everton!) and am slowly learning mainly through coverage in Grantland.

Doesn't Hull City have some sort of weird situation where the new owner changed the team name and the fans were outraged?
Why Everton? (just curious)

Yeah the ownership group wanted to change the name from AFC Hull City Tigers (because it was too long, and somewhat redundant, since people know its a football club and all that)...they did remove the AFC from the badges this season and wanted to take out the City too because it would be like saying Dallas City Cowboys - and Hull by itself is more marketable, according to expert marketers...however, the fans started a chant during a game Hull City till they die, to the which the owner quipped they can go and die...in the end the FA (governing body of England Football) denied Hull's request to just be called Hull and thus will once again be Hull City this season...
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by roncollins »

Hull owners should now petition to have three word "city" added to every team's name.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Reg »

Cliff Hangers wrote:Hull owners should now petition to have three word "city" added to every team's name.
I guess they could, though tradition is alive and well in Premier League Football so it is doubtful that they would get much traction going...plus it would get quite confusing considering you already have a Manchester City...which would make Man U ...Manchester City United... :grin:
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by roncollins »

And Manchester city city.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions