Browns owner consults homeless man, drafts Manziel

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Matt
VIP
VIP

Re: Browns owner consults homeless man, drafts Manziel

#151 Post by Matt »

Nothing. But evidently the Browns have set a zero tolerance policy. He should know by now that anything he does will get overblown.
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#152 Post by Evas »

Ocelots wrote:Nothing. But evidently the Browns have set a zero tolerance policy. He should know by now that anything he does will get overblown.
Fair enough.

If they suspend him for the last game of the year, it says more about the current regime than it does Manziel.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#153 Post by Matt »

You might be right on that point.

Rumor was Pettine was going to survive this season, but Farmer was going to get axed. But also rumblings that some in organization not happy about way he has handled Manziel. If he suspends Manziel yet again, then what happens to Pettine? And ironically, Manziel has been vocal about wanting Pettine back next year.

I think the biggest problem the organization has is Farmer. It's not Pettine's fault that Farmer gave him a dumpster fire of a roster to work with. And Manziel has complicated matters for everyone for the last two years.

And if that was a selfie video that Johnny took, at home on Christmas eve (it looked like a private setting), then let's give him a sound talking to again about using his head for something other than to rest his helmet on, but send him on the field Sunday because you really need some more tape of this guy going into the offseason.
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#154 Post by Evas »

Matt, I think you are right on all points.

I can live with Petine for another year as long as Manziel sees the field. Petine hasn't been great. But I could see keeping him around for pure stability's sake. Give him another year to develop and if he sucks next year the new GM can bring in his own guy.

But I don't want farmer making any more decisions. The roster is garbage. It's too old thanks to Farmer letting some of the decent guys who were drafted go and replacing them with expensive players at the tail end of things. His drafting has been abysmal.

I hope Manziel works out. It would be great to not have to draft a QB in the 1st. But if we get a new GM and he thinks there is a franchise QB on the board in the 1st round, we have to take him. But I only want to do that if they guy is a fantastic prospect, not just a decent one. I am comfortable enough with Manziel that I don't want to reach for a QB.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#155 Post by Matt »

Stability is the first thing that franchise needs, as soon as they dump Farmer. I think his tenure can be compared to Matt Millen's in Detroit. So much is becoming clearer about what a mess this guy has made of the roster. Hell, just the Bowe deal ought to be enough to get him a pink slip.

I am still of the belief though that Manziel was a decision made higher than Farmer. I'm not putting that one on him. But the rest of the draft picks? I'm sure some teams have some worse runs in the draft, but I would be hard pressed to name one right now. You just can't whiff on that many high picks and expect to keep your job.

As for Manziel, he still carries some baggage, and he looks like he is still immature enough to take one step back for every two forward. But I think he has made some progress. But even with that progress all I see right now is a backup quarterback who could give a team a lift off the bench. He still makes too many mistakes and has too much trouble making the reads to commit to as the long term answer at qb. But with a team that's obviously going to be rebuilding, why not play him Sunday, give him another offseason, bring him into his third season as the starter, and let him sink or swim? Let the new GM address other areas of need in this draft, maybe the running game (I think Elliot from Ohio St might be a great fit for the Browns, fwiw, and if he is there with the Browns pick they should grab him), the secondary, the offensive line, a wide receiver that can avoid long term suspensions, etc.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#156 Post by Matt »

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/report- ... ocid=yahoo

And here's why the Browns need to hold onto Manziel...because without Johnny, they would be in danger of losing their tenuous hold on being the most dysfunctional team in the NFL. *sigh*
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#157 Post by Borealis »

Ocelots wrote:http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/report- ... ocid=yahoo

And here's why the Browns need to hold onto Manziel...because without Johnny, they would be in danger of losing their tenuous hold on being the most dysfunctional team in the NFL. *sigh*
AND... Reports are they're looking at Chip Kelly - which means Kaep's hanging around for more fun & games!!! From criminals to social miscreants - that's your 21st Century Niners...
:angry-cussingblack:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Matt
VIP
VIP

#158 Post by Matt »

Dear God not Chip Kelly. From everything coming out Philadelphia the guy has the personality of an unflushed urinal.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#159 Post by Borealis »

Ocelots wrote:Dear God nor Chip Kelly. From everything coming out Philadelphia the guy has the personality of an unflushed urinal.
OMG... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Busting a gut here... :bang:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#161 Post by Evas »

I think a new QB is in the cards. A new GM will likely want to pick their own guy.

Right now, my bet would be on Goff.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#162 Post by Borealis »

Evas wrote:
I think a new QB is in the cards. A new GM will likely want to pick their own guy.

Right now, my bet would be on Goff.
Please... Take him, so the Niners won't be held to another 'UC QB' mistake for the next 20 years... He'll be great elsewhere and suck in the Red & Gold...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#163 Post by Matt »

I still think the Browns would be better served to use the #2 overall selection on Ezekiel Elliot. Manziel or no Manziel, the Browns actually could have a decent set of weapons next season by adding Elliot. Provided, of course, that Josh Gordon can actually make it into September without being suspended again. Think about Elliot in the backfield, Gordon at receiver, Barnidge, Benjamin is not a bad second option at receiver. That's a pretty decent set of weapons.

Use the rest of the draft to fix other areas of the team. (I'm looking squarely at the smoldering embers of a secondary.) Maybe take a chance in a later round on a quarterback you can develop for 2-3 seasons. In the meantime, sign a free agent quarterback to come in. Whoever it is will have some decent weapons, and a ground game to keep the pressure off the quarterback. This years free agent quarterback class could be at least interesting. Your not looking for this guy to win a Super Bowl. You just want somebody who can be competent for 2 to 3 seasons while the rest of the roster is rebuilt.

And get right tackle Mitchell Schwartz signed. You have arguably the best pair of tackles in the game, keep it that way and it's one less thing to worry about.

Do this, and the Browns could be an 8-8 team next year. Go draft another quarterback that you will just end up flushing in two years, and we're right back here next year talking about another top 5 pick in the draft.
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#164 Post by Evas »

I don't think Elliot is worth the #2 pick, but I could see the Browns not taking a QB.

The browns aren't in terrible shape at RB. Duke Johnson is a very nice pass catching RB. Crowell has shown improvement. I think he is a 1,000 yard rusher is they actually get the ball in his hands 18+ times a game.

The Browns are in deep trouble. They need to get a lot done to just get back to the roster they have. The need to resign both Mack and Schwartz. If they don't that's another 2 high picks they'll need to replace. I doubt Mack resigns.

The secondary is in flames. There are too many old players. There are far more holes than good players.

I think the are more likely to lose 11+ for the next 2 years than not.
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#165 Post by Evas »

Just when you think things can't possibly get any weirder: https://twitter.com/WillBurge/status/684210563078066176

If there is a video and it gets released, I will be happy to have a definitive conclusion to the Manziel Era in Cleveland.

What a ridiculous person.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”