Browns owner consults homeless man, drafts Manziel

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Matt
VIP
VIP

Browns owner consults homeless man, drafts Manziel

#1 Post by Matt »

Unfortunately Browns fans, not the Onion.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 05838.html
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Browns owner consults homeless man, drafts Manziel

#2 Post by Bill »

Yeah, I'm not too high on him, but you can't tell until he plays in the NFL. A coach on the local sports radio said he has the most amazing footwork he's ever seen and supposedly his 5-10-5 times back that up. I didn't think Cam Newton would be very good either and I was pretty wrong there. Of course, Manziel isn't the size of a linebacker like Newton.
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by roncollins »

I'm a homer here, but the Browns would have fared a lot better with Bridgewater.

Sent from my phone.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Evas »

Personally, I had a blast on the draft last night. After this off season, I am now a big supporter of Ray Farmer.

I loved the value they got for moving from 4 to 9. Adding a a 1st and a 4th for moving 5 spots is fine by me.

I also loved that they moved up twice, paying only a modest price each time, to get the players they really wanted. I am no talent evaluator, so I don't know the benefits of one player over another. But the fact that they used some of the excess picks they have this year to guarantee they get 2 players they prefer, is an indication of a strong and decisive front office to me.

As for Manziel, I really don't have a problem with him at #22. Many prognosticators were saying he's the best QB in the draft. Others say he won't translate to the NFL. I have no idea who is right. But Farmer has built up enough credibility with me for me to trust him on this. I would have been livid if they picked Manziel at #4, but at #22 I don't think Manziel was a reach.

Plus there will be a huge Fan Interest boost the Browns get from this. All the more if they follow the plan and keep him on the bench in year one.

My dad and brother were not happy with the out come. They really had their hearts set on adding a guy like Watkins or Mack. But I thought the way the night played out was a nice balance of maximizing value, filling needs and taking a chance on a boom or bust guy. If I were running the Browns draft, I might have tried something similar. That's about the best compliment I know how to give on these sorts of things.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
richard_v
Double-A
Double-A

#5 Post by richard_v »

Twitter and Facebook blew up with "Cleveland, where QBs go to die" and "Career over before it began"
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Bill »

Statesmen wrote:Twitter and Facebook blew up with "Cleveland, where QBs go to die" and "Career over before it began"
Cleveland is also where winning goes to die, but that's another story.

(I'm from Cleveland - I'm allowed to make fun of it...the rest of you - :shake: )
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Borealis »

Manzel and Ryan Leaf = separated at birth...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Reg »

Borealis wrote:Manzel and Ryan Leaf = separated at birth...
I don't think it is that bad...but I also think Cleveland is probably not the best place for Manziel to have landed...Living in A&M country I was able to catch most games on the old tv and I think he is talented but probably a few years away from being a productive NFL quarterback...he needed an Aaron Rodgers type situation, and I don't think there will be much patience in Cleveland...he is the new "Tebow" media circus, so from day one I am sure the media is already predicting when he will start, and the fan base will boo any bad pass, interception, or failed drive from any other QB...
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Evas »

For all I know you might be right on talent. Though they aren't nearly the same type of QB.

The difference is Leaf was taken #2 overall and Manziel was taken #22. The Browns paid far less to get Manziel, so the magnitude of the investment isn't nearly the same.
Trendsetters wrote:...he needed an Aaron Rodgers type situation, and I don't think there will be much patience in Cleveland...he is the new "Tebow" media circus, so from day one I am sure the media is already predicting when he will start, and the fan base will boo any bad pass, interception, or failed drive from any other QB...
I agree that there will be pressure to start him at some point. But I think Hoyer is a pretty good guy for him to learn under and there is a good amount of fan support for Hoyer. He's a hometown guy who energized the fan base briefly last season until his injury. I think the fans like Hoyer enough to have some patience, though not an unlimited amount. If the browns are 2-5 due to bad QB play, all bets are off.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Borealis »

Evas wrote:
For all I know you might be right on talent. Though they aren't nearly the same type of QB.

The difference is Leaf was taken #2 overall and Manziel was taken #22.
Although Manziel gets top pick press clippings and the expectations will be top pick expectations... for now.

Of course, drafted #22 may mean he'll be twice as bad as Leaf (at #2)... Or twice as good - which still is bad... :lol:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Mike Dunn »

I have to say, watching all those close-ups of Johnny last night before he was picked was cringe-worthy. They stuck the camera in his face each time someone got picked before him, and he tried to look nonchalant. After a while I couldn't stand it and switched back to MLB.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#12 Post by Morris Ragland »

Couch-Frye-Quinn-Manziel.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Coqui »

The homeless guy was right. Although he would have been more right had he been advising the owner of some other NFL team. Manziel played against the highest competition that exists outside the NFL, won, and stuffed the stat books in the process. He's no Gino Toretta. Granted, the Browns can seemingly break anything, but my money's on Manziel.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
richard_v
Double-A
Double-A

#14 Post by richard_v »

The fact he did the money thing with his hands bothered me, The rest of the players drafter were all very professional. He makes it seem like he only wants the big bucks.
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#15 Post by Rory »

The Browns seem to always bring in these skill players while their offensive and defensive lines blow.

One thing i think Manziel brings to the table that separates him from the past Browns QB's, is not only mobility, but mobility with a chance to make plays with his arm. He seems to see the field well, at least at the college level. He'll have a lot more things to look at before delivering the football in the NFL for sure. But I do think he will make plays. And proily throw his share of INT's as most young QB's do early on. Manziel will not only have to deal with rookie-idis a and a poor offensive line, but also a weak receiving corp that prolly won't help him much.
This will be very interesting to watch, outside my Packers, to say the least.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”