The 2013 Cleveland Indians thread

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

Re: The 2013 Cleveland Indians thread

#46 Post by Zephyrs »

Ghosts wrote:Why are none of you Indians fans talking about the Indians nearly in the playoffs?!?!?

I for one am pulling for them over tough talkin' Texas (apologies to any Rangers fans here).

So Francona for MOY?
I almost posted in here a few times but, decided against it for some reason. I have been thrilled with the entertainment the Indians have provided this season. I am worried that we have won 7 in a row and still have a tight Wild Card race.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#47 Post by Bill »

It's because they can still lose the WC by 2 games. That's a Clevelander way of looking at the situation. :eek:

I think the lack of real interest (as noted by the attendance at games) is because nobody really thinks this team has a chance to do anything. We've pretty routinely demonstrated we can't beat good teams (1-6 v. Boston and 4-15 v. Detroit).

That said, it would be nice to make the playoffs and maybe beat TB. I should make a better effort to watch this weekend anyway.
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#48 Post by Arroyos »

I'm counting on a Tigers-Indians showdown for the AL Championship. But then I'm also pulling for a Detroit-Pittsburgh World Series matchup. Dreamer!
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#49 Post by John »

I'm plenty into this chase! I was at Wednesday's home finale, a 7-2 victory over the White Sox. This was the Indians 14th consecutive win against Chicago, tying our third-longest consecutive win streak against any team. The crowd, over 30,000 strong for the first time since July, was totally into the game. It was a great, hopeful atmosphere. Slowly but surely, I think this team is winning over hearts and minds. I still worry that the average fan won't give the team due credit if they lose in a one-game playoff series, but I'll worry about that if and when the time comes. For now, I'm just rooting for the team to make the playoffs, and then make some noise.
Ghosts wrote:So Francona for MOY?
I'm still betting that East Coast bias will give the award to John Farrell.
Ghosts wrote:I for one am pulling for them over tough talkin' Texas (apologies to any Rangers fans here).
I'm sure Paul will be most understanding of your ill will towards his team of choice. :twisted:
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#50 Post by Lions »

I am easily rooting for the Tribe over the Rangers. I'm most excited about the Pirates making it. It'll be interesting to see how the 1-game Wild Card matchup players. I've heard a lot of people complain that it's not a real playoff game because it's just a single elimination game, and there's something frustratingly un-baseball about that. Heck, teams don't even play against each other just once during the regular season unless they're making up a rainout.

As a Yankee fan, my wife actually said, "Poor Yankees" to me after I told her they'd been eliminated. While I'm disappointed, I'm not terribly upset that teams like the Rays, A's, Pirates, and Tribe are all in it over them. The Tribe are the type of team that is really fun to see win because they are pulling through with a really well rounded team.

John's comment about Farrell being a likely candidate is probably spot on. The Red Sox finished a game ahead of Cleveland last year, but they're were lower in their division. On the other hand, I think Francona will get some recognition because his success this season reflects his success in Boston. I tend to think that it's hard to tell how good a manager is until he repeats success with a different organization, and I think Francona is showing he's got that.

Have any of you Tribe fans made it to a game recently?
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#51 Post by Mike Dunn »

John wrote:I'm sure Paul will be most understanding of your ill will towards his team of choice. :twisted:
I'm just upset that Ron Washington didn't play Profrar more because I have him on one of my fantasy teams. Wondering if Ron will be back if they miss the playoffs...
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#52 Post by Denny »

Nutmeggers wrote:It'll be interesting to see how the 1-game Wild Card matchup players. I've heard a lot of people complain that it's not a real playoff game because it's just a single elimination game, and there's something frustratingly un-baseball about that. Heck, teams don't even play against each other just once during the regular season unless they're making up a rainout.
That is a good point about the single game. On the other hand, I prefer this system to the previous wildcard one, where it seemed like the wildcard team didn't face any real disadvantage for doing worse than the division winners over 162 games; now they have to "burn" a quality piece of their rotation before facing a more rested opponent--and, as we're seeing right now, having more possible teams in the playoff hunt heightens the excitement of the end of the regular season.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#53 Post by Mike Dunn »

Codgers wrote:
Nutmeggers wrote:It'll be interesting to see how the 1-game Wild Card matchup players. I've heard a lot of people complain that it's not a real playoff game because it's just a single elimination game, and there's something frustratingly un-baseball about that. Heck, teams don't even play against each other just once during the regular season unless they're making up a rainout.
That is a good point about the single game. On the other hand, I prefer this system to the previous wildcard one, where it seemed like the wildcard team didn't face any real disadvantage for doing worse than the division winners over 162 games; now they have to "burn" a quality piece of their rotation before facing a more rested opponent--and, as we're seeing right now, having more possible teams in the playoff hunt heightens the excitement of the end of the regular season.
Both quotes here are good summaries of the pros and cons of the one-game playoff. I have side with the argument against -- a single game play-in is very un-baseball like. One year one of these games will be decided on a botched call in extra innings and a lot of people will be unhappy. I'd rather see the regular season scaled back to the original 154 games (not sure what year they went to 162) and then have a best-of-three battle among the wildcard winners. That will never happen, of course, as even last place teams want the revenue from their full season, even if their stadia are near empty.
Mike Dunn

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#54 Post by John »

I'm in the same boat as Mike. If there are going to be 10 teams in the post-season, I would like to see that first wildcard round as a best-of-three series. If that requires a reduction in games to 154, so be it. Baseball has always been about the long haul. A three-game series is pushing it in terms of brevity already. A winner-take-all one-game "series" is football.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#55 Post by Arroyos »

The easier solution, the better solution I think, is to eliminate Wild Cards altogether and redistribute the teams in 4 divisions. Then you have all division winners in two rounds of playoffs. I hate seeing second place teams in playoffs!
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#56 Post by Zephyrs »

Bulldozers wrote: I hate seeing second place teams in playoffs!
This quote has been filed in order to use it against you in the future. :wink:
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Matt
VIP
VIP

#57 Post by Matt »

Bulldozers wrote:The easier solution, the better solution I think, is to eliminate Wild Cards altogether and redistribute the teams in 4 divisions. Then you have all division winners in two rounds of playoffs. I hate seeing second place teams in playoffs!
Exactly. This isnt supposed to be hockey where everyone makes the playoffs.
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#58 Post by Arroyos »

Zephyrs wrote:
Bulldozers wrote: I hate seeing second place teams in playoffs!
This quote has been filed in order to use it against you in the future. :wink:
Very astute! May I live to eat my words!
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#59 Post by John »

John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#60 Post by Mike Dunn »

John wrote:One way or another, the Tribe will still be alive come Monday. 8) ;-D
No need for Monday, the Tribe wins the #1 wildcard berth and will play the winner of Monday's play-in TB vs TEX. Who'd have thunk it?

Congrats to all you long-suffering Indians fans. Quite the turnaround. That Ubaldo trade is looking better and better :o .
Mike Dunn

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”