The Civ V expansion nears - time to jump back in?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: The Civ V expansion nears - time to jump back in?

#196 Post by Duane »

What expansion or version of Civ 5 are you guys using?
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#197 Post by Bill »

We are playing with the Gods and Kings expansion.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#198 Post by Hitmen »

Cliff Hangers wrote:I won't be able to make tomorrow night's session as I will be visiting my wife in the hospital.

I am really a minor player in the current game. I don't mind if you use the AI for my civ to finish out the game.
No problem with missing Jim. We figured the playoffs had you busy anyhow ;) As for playing without you, we can't start the game if everyone is not there, so no worries. I realize it's pretty much over as you mentioned.
Alleghenies wrote:Just wanted to post that I'll be joining these sessions as soon as the expansions go on sale and I can pick them up - I played multiplayer with just the base with a few friends last weekend and it was great fun.
Happy you are enjoying the game Tyler. I know a couple more were given free copies of the game as well. We definitely look forward to some fresh blood in the games! ;-D I mentioned to the guys before, I think we might put Civ on hold till another sale and you guys can catch up and get the expansions. We are enjoying team play more than vs. play at the moment, but the computer didn't seem to give us too much trouble this last time plus we have some XCOM to play :grin:
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#199 Post by Denny »

I am looking forward to getting started on Civ V as well, but I apparently have to upgrade my OS first :evil: Probably just as well that we aren't needed immediately. !+)
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Jim

#200 Post by Jim »

Hitmen wrote:We figured the playoffs had you busy anyhow ;)
Today's game was a day game that went into rain delay. So that didn't really interfere with Civ. My son and I have tickets to Thursday's game.

My wife could come home on Thursday or Friday. I just hope I don't forget about Friday night Civ if I'm bringing her home that afternoon. I've been a solid cheuffer with my son having major car problems and my step-son having left his only set of keys in a friends car which drove to a different city. :o

I don't know if other people have smooth calm lives. But in this house there always seem to be be major disruptions going on all at once. I remember when I lived alone after my first divorce that I had all of my free time to spend as I wished. That status has definitely changed. But I wouldn't go back to the boring lonely life if I didn't have to.
Jim

#201 Post by Jim »

I just checked the schedule and see that the Cardinals play at 8pm ET on Friday. I can record the game while playing Civ. And then watch it later if everyone promises not to spoil the results before I watch the game.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#202 Post by Hitmen »

Hey Jim, you can watch the game if you like. I mean Tom has basically walked over what remains of Spain's territory, I am just beginning my march through Maria's land. It's unfortunate we didn't beat it last time, but we are sort of at that point where we would be logging in to literally just wait the 40 or so turns for us to kill the remaining two enemy. With you both being so far east it might be hard to get involved in that time. I am not a huge fan of just leaving the game as is, but not sure its really worth logging in to just face stomp whats left. Up to everyone though. I am available to finish up tonight if we want to, or we can just leave it as is as it is pretty much done anyway.

I was thinking we would take a break till the next sale to allow others who got free versions of Civ 5 to pick up the expansion if they want so we can get some new blood in the games. What do you guys think?
Michael Czosnyka

Jim

#203 Post by Jim »

Sounds good Mike.

I was actually logging in to say that it was probably best if I drop out of the Civ sessions because I have been so unreliable.

Tonight I picked my wife up from the hospital at 6:30, got home, she wanted to order pizza, had discussions about mail, etc, etc... then at 8:30 I realized I should have been at the Civ session.

Sorry guys.

I will finish watching the game, now that it's too late for me to live up to my commitment. :oops:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#204 Post by John »

Cliff Hangers wrote:Sounds good Mike.

I was actually logging in to say that it was probably best if I drop out of the Civ sessions because I have been so unreliable.

Tonight I picked my wife up from the hospital at 6:30, got home, she wanted to order pizza, had discussions about mail, etc, etc... then at 8:30 I realized I should have been at the Civ session.

Sorry guys.

I will finish watching the game, now that it's too late for me to live up to my commitment. :oops:
This is nothing that a good pad of sticky notes won't fix in the future. ;)
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#205 Post by Lions »

John wrote:
Cliff Hangers wrote:Sounds good Mike.

Sorry guys.

This is nothing that a good pad of sticky notes won't fix in the future. ;)
Sticky notes have never shut my wife up or quelled her dinner cravings.

:bunny: (just because I can!)
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#206 Post by Bill »

No worries Jim, I forgot too. My in-laws are in town (again) and we got busy playing cards.

I'm fine scrapping the current game. As noted, we pretty much got it under control now and I'd just assume play XCom for awhile.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#207 Post by John »

A new Civilization V patch is out. No multiplayer-specific fixes or enhancements, but there is a veritable plethora of stuff addressed here, and of course much of this will apply to multiplayer games.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#208 Post by Hitmen »

John wrote:Speaking of paying, how about those of you who still lack a copy pony up for Civilization V: Gods & Kings on GreenManGaming? Use the code "GMG20-1FYLZ-EDG8R" and it's yours for just $8.15! The game activates on Steam, so you'll be ready to join PEBACiv games as soon as your transaction is complete. Hurry, though: The deal ends at 6:00 a.m. ET on Thanksgiving day!
John did find this nugget and I hope some of you were able to take advantage of it, if not, Steam itself has the Gods and Kings expansion on sale for 50% off till the 27th. While $15 isn't $8 it is still much better than the $30 regular price. The Christmas sales are also right around the corner, so I wouldn't worry too much if you miss it this time around as it is bound to be on sale shortly again.
Michael Czosnyka

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#209 Post by John »

Hitmen wrote:John did find this nugget and I hope some of you were able to take advantage of it, if not, Steam itself has the Gods and Kings expansion on sale for 50% off till the 27th. While $15 isn't $8 it is still much better than the $30 regular price. The Christmas sales are also right around the corner, so I wouldn't worry too much if you miss it this time around as it is bound to be on sale shortly again.
I actually have a really sweet deal for those of you who have yet to purchase Civilization V at all. From now through Monday, Amazon is selling a digital download combo pack of Civilization V and the Gods & Kings expansion for just $20!

If we get enough people to commit to it, I will make time to join the next PEBACiv game. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#210 Post by Mike Dunn »

Heads up: I don't have confirmation of this, but I read that come Sunday, greenmangaming will have Gods and Kings expansion for 85% off, which will be I guess around $4 and change.

I have barely touched Civ V, but if I get the expansion I might be up for the multiplayer stuff y'all have done.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”